12-17-2013, 05:10 AM
  • garlar4
  • St Louis Mo
User Info
I have been buying and selling online since 98 and just would like to hear others opinion about paypal? I had some bad deals where they covered the buyer over the seller. Also there customer service has went down hill. When looking in to this I discovered that all this started shortly after eBay bought the company. Now in recent years other players have came online (amazon payments, google checkout) just to mention a few. Who do you use and why?

0 13
 12-17-2013, 06:04 AM
  • Coyote
  • Hondo, TX USA
User Info
PayPal is still easy to use and widely accepted. You can use funds directly from your bank account. I have only had one issue. It was as a buyer and I received a refund. They are big and problems will arise. I use them more because "they are there".

4 2,374
 12-17-2013, 06:11 AM
User Info
I have used Google Checkout but Paypal is tried, proven and pretty much universally accepted. I had one dispute with a buyer which I lost. The buyer was later invited to leave the forum as I was not the only one he scammed. Other than that it has worked well for me.

6 358
 12-17-2013, 06:23 AM
User Info
with paypal i had one dispute with a seller which i won. i even had to defend the seller because he was threatened in a harsh way by paypal to be thrown out: i was sure the seller did everything in good faith because he did not understand the paypal system the slightest.

7 1,625
 12-17-2013, 06:40 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
I've used PayPal since the beginning and have never had a problem with them. Around 90% of the merchants I do business with accept PayPal. Great way to protect your credit card from being stolen. That's why I use it.

173 23,488
 12-17-2013, 07:19 AM
  • Snuff
  • Belgium
User Info
If I remember correctly In all those years I've had two cases that I won and one that I lost (empty package was send by registered mail so there was nothing I could do). Otherwise never a problem, as long as you have proof of sending the item(s) you're good IMHO.

27 1,294
 12-17-2013, 07:51 AM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
You are correct Paypal is mainly interested in protecting the buyer and very little protection for the buyer. Most vendors use only Paypal. I prefer a vendor that accepts all forms of payment like it used to be.

100 12,437
 12-17-2013, 09:01 AM
  • garlar4
  • St Louis Mo
User Info
My bad dealing with them was I bought some laptops from a seller on eBay and they shipped me two boxes with just paper and old books for weight. When I contacted paypal they sided with the seller saying they had delivery conformation and that the info given to them from him was proof that he shipped them. Needless to say I am out 3k on them and no laptops. Also I would like to add that he no longer sells in eBay I don't know what happened with that seller I assume they finally got caught. But I still do my best not to use them over that.

0 13
 12-17-2013, 09:24 AM
User Info
(12-17-2013, 06:40 AM)Johnny Wrote: I've used PayPal since the beginning and have never had a problem with them. Around 90% of the merchants I do business with accept PayPal. Great way to protect your credit card from being stolen. That's why I use it.

PP gets used for just this reason for any merchant that accepts PP upon checkout.

31 1,800
 12-17-2013, 09:28 AM
  • garlar4
  • St Louis Mo
User Info
that is true and i will say i am seeing more and more people on these forms when asked if they take any thing other then paypal they are interested in other sites to use witch is the reason i started this thread. I personally love the amazon system they came out with over summer.

0 13
 12-17-2013, 03:32 PM
User Info
I am a US citizen living abroad. Paypal is a nightmare for me. Sometimes I can use my Korean shipping address and sometimes I can not. There is no rhyme nor reason to it. When I ask the sellers to help they can't, they say the problem is on my side. I have registered my shipping address in Korea and when I contact Paypal they don't explain, tell me to get a Korean Paypal account or piss off.

If I get a Korean Paypal account and use my US card I always get hit with 3% international charge. Paypal is both unresponsive and shows know desire to help me.

So I always favor vendors who offer the option of using a credit card directly and don't lock me into the horrible Paypal system.

22 221