Poll: Which of these razors would you choose as your daily driver? Please reply with your reasons. Thanks for your advice!
 12-17-2013, 08:12 AM
  • tdmsu
  • Banned
  • Metro Detroit
User Info
Hi Everyone,

I am suffering from a common condition here on the TSN... RAD.

I am happy with my Maggard MR10, but I am considering another razor with gift cards I am expecting this Christmas. I have been DE shaving since August, and I am wondering if a slightly more aggressive razor might give me similarly great results as the MR10, but with fewer passes.

I know this is an individual decision, but I'd like to have a poll and get some insight from people who may have used these razors before. After reading many posts on many boards, I have narrowed it down to three main contenders:

iKon Shavecraft 101
Merkur Futur

I'm looking for something that would become my daily driver, or at least frequently used... I don't really rotate the two razors I have - the MR10 displaced my Merkur 33c completely.

Which would you choose, and why? Thanks for your advice and insight!

2 447
 12-17-2013, 09:45 AM
User Info
I know nothing of the razor you are now using but have had all three of your candidates. I liked the Weber, got nice shaves from it but there were other razors I preferred over it and I ended up selling it. I wish I had not let it go and may end up buying another one. I have used a Futur for several years. It's a large, heavy razor but with its settings you can go from mild to aggressive. I seldom fail to get a great shave with my Futur. I found the matte finish is the easiest to grip. The polished and gold are slippery in my hands.
The Shavecraft 101 is a gem. Very smooth comfortable shave. It is on the mild side so if you want something aggressive this may not be the razor for you. Of these three razors, my choice is the Shavecraft but hard to go wrong with any of them

39 457
 12-17-2013, 10:02 AM
User Info
The Weber is a good choice because it shaves very nicely is stainless steel and costs $70. The Shavecraft is another great razor and again the cost is dirt cheap.

98 12,355
 12-17-2013, 10:56 AM
  • Johnny
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
I have not used any of the razors you listed but voted for the Weber solely on the recommendation of Celestino.

173 23,288
 12-17-2013, 11:18 AM
  • ischiapp
  • Ischia, Naples, Italy
User Info
iKon Shavecraft 101 is the non-SS version of the OSS, smart idea of both OC/CC guard on the same razor ... at half price.
At $57 is included Bulldog Handle 80mm. Wink

0 1,092
 12-17-2013, 12:26 PM
User Info
I have used all bar the futur. The 101 shavecraft is very mild so out of that I guess it would be the weber. Outside of that list I would consider an above the tie, slant or open comb razor for something more aggressive.

0 121
 12-17-2013, 12:30 PM
  • tsimmns
  • Mississippi
User Info
Do yourself a favor. Sell all your razors, buy a Cobra, pop some feather blades in it and boom...your RAD is solved. Well, that is until you decide you need back up Cobras and then the Cobra 2 and the HuntLee Katana.

15 970
 12-17-2013, 12:59 PM
User Info
For a daily driver, having a slightly mild razor isn't such a bad idea.

I voted for the Shavecraft because I think it's an awesome daily razor, but to be fair I have never tried either of the others. The Futur is not appealing to me. The Weber, by all accounts, is nice, but it doesn't speak to me. Seems like a DE89 clone, and I really don't like the DE89.

1 1,073
 12-17-2013, 01:35 PM
User Info
I voted for the Weber and used one of my Weber razors this morning. Owned a Futur and sold it and have never owned a Shavecraft but I do own a iKon OSS and give the edge (pun intended) to the Weber. Both provide me with a close shave but the Weber provides a closer shave for me. A great razor at a fair price.

29 1,729
 12-17-2013, 01:45 PM
User Info
Weber is a great razor that happens to be stainless steel. Easy to remarket if you don't care for it. This is the one I voted for.

Had the Mergress and not an adjustable fan. But if you're looking for a more aggressive razor that certainly covers the full spectrum.

The Shavecraft 101 is a great value but having both an open comb and solid bar on the same razor does not appeal to me personally.

Good luck and enjoy what ever you choose.

6 358
 12-17-2013, 03:07 PM
  • MikeGJ
  • Grand Junction, CO
User Info
Don't own and have not tried the Weber or the Futur.

I do own and daily drive the Shavecraft 101. I thought it too mild when I first used it, but put it in rotation again, found it worked better than I first thought, and now use it all the time. I think many folks who tried it think it is too mild, but might be surprised if they gave it a real chance. As has been mentioned, being mild is an attribute for a daily driver, though.

I also own and (used to daily drive) the Ikon OSS. I get a better shave from the 101. I much prefer the looks of the OSS to the 101, though.

101 feels mild but shaves very close. Very easy to get a good shave, without bloodshed. Sharks, Lords, Red Personnas, Super Iridiums all give great shaves in this razor.

I'd be wary of "votes" from folks who have not tried _any_ of the razors you mentioned.

Votes based on appearance are particularly suspect, but having said that, the Futur has always looked unwieldy to me.

Weber has a great reputation with those who have used it, but not having used it, I can't offer an evaluation vs. the 101.

0 106
 12-17-2013, 04:11 PM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
If you are truly plagued by RAD, the only real answer is to purchase all three! Biggrin

However, the OP stated he was after something more aggressive. IMO both the Weber and the iKon are not aggressive razors. While I would recommend both of these razors very highly I'm unsure that this recommendation would satisfy the desire for a new experience. So with that top of mind I believe the best choice would be the Futur.

The Futur is a solid daily driver that with it's adjustability offers a range of shaving experiences. The aggressiveness can be tailored to suit taste and experience and adjusted between passes if required. It's substantial in the hand and heavier than both the Weber and iKon, as a result it stands out as a point of difference to the two razors you already own. The smaller Weber and iKon are more agile, but the Futur is not a clumsy tool and can manoeuvre well under the nose (which IMO is the only place an oversized head can become troublesome). It is different to all the razors mentioned in the OP and in part is the reason I suggested it, but primarily my thought behind the recommendation is that it has the ability to be far more aggressive (and subsequently for me far more effective) than the others.

For further thoughts on the Futur, see HERE.

For further thoughts on the ShaveCraft 101, see HERE and HERE.

And there are many threads on the Weber, just utilise the search function, HERE.

In regards to ownership, I have the Weber DLC, the iKon ShaveCraft 101, and the Futur both in gold and satin finish. In regards to the Futur, IMO the coefficient of friction appears lower on the satin finish and as a result this is the version I prefer. (I don't own the Maggard or the 33c, but I do own the 34c HD).

I voted for the Futur, and I note that the majority of votes are for the Weber. I'd be interested to know who has used the Weber and the Maggard and can claim that the Weber is more aggressive. Don't get me me wrong, the Weber is a great razor (even better IMO if you can acquire the DLC - which now days would negate the attractive Weber price point), but I think the votes are not taking into account the OP's original request for a more aggressive recommendation. When it comes to aggressive razors I think of Joris and FaTip (both of which I own). A Futur set at 4 and above in my mind is aggressive too. The Futur set at lower levels offers the OP a razor that can be as mild as the Weber and iKon or as aggressive as he dares (from slight to extreme)...

91 17,611
 12-18-2013, 05:04 AM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Or save your $$$ and simply add a shim to your MR10...

91 17,611
 12-18-2013, 10:16 AM
User Info
(12-18-2013, 05:04 AM)ben74 Wrote: Or save your $$$ and simply add a shim to your MR10...

+1 Shims are one of the best things you can do to compliment a mild razor without spending any money! Biggrin

74 20,787
 12-18-2013, 02:22 PM
  • slr31
  • Garden City, India
User Info
I voted for Futur. I have not used the Shavecraft and the Weber came across as mild to me and promptly sold it off.

I have only used a Futur for more than a handful of shaves and so can speak only for it. I like it very much in how I can adjust the aggressiveness and the audible feedback it provides. But I always remind myself to use a Futur with caution and respect as it can get too aggressive very fast.

There are some very good tips and information provided by members in this thread. Good Luck!

64 528
 12-18-2013, 04:06 PM
  • GregDR
  • Illinois
User Info
That's a tough one since all three definitely have their differences.

...I'd say if you're looking for a good everyday shaver that's a work horse, nothing to flashy. Go with the Weber. If you're looking for an adventure, go back to the Futur. If you're a fan of abstract art go with the Shavecraft.

53 555
 12-18-2013, 07:19 PM
  • Teddyboy
  • Guilty, with an explanation
  • NYC
User Info
ABTF - Anything But the Futur.

1 686