12-17-2013, 06:25 PM
User Info
I'm a fan of shaving creams and soft soaps given they produce lather quickly. This morning I used my Muhle STR Purist and some DR Harris Windsor soap to see how effective the Muhle synthetic was at coaxing lather out of a hard soap.

The result surprised me - in less than 15 seconds and I had a mountain of creamy lather. These synthetics are truly lather monsters, the only downside is a synthetic brush and hard soap means it may be 2 years before you see the bottom of the soap bowl Wink

21 456
 12-17-2013, 06:45 PM
User Info
I've shared the exact same experience. If one is seeking easy, quality lather, I don't think there is anything that excels the synthetics these days. It almost feels like you are "cheating"; it's that easy.

47 1,270
 12-17-2013, 07:03 PM
  • Arcadies
  • Greeneville, TN
User Info
I have been exclusively use synthetics now for about 6-8 months and have sold off all of my other brushes..I doubt I will ever go back to natural. Synthetics not only stretch product but they make tricky soaps take much less effort to perform.
Mystic Water soaps for instance, before trying a synthetic, I had to load my brush for at least 60-90 seconds to provide decent lather, and even then it would occasionally crap out on me.
However, synthetics make mounds of creamy, stable lather with the exact same soap and only 20-30 seconds of loading..because of this synthetics have helped make Michelle's soaps my absolute favorites and my go to soaps for probably 75% of my shaves.

31 1,510
 12-17-2013, 07:11 PM
User Info
I must be doing it wrong. How much difference is there between a Muhle and a WD or TGN synthetic?

31 1,800
 12-17-2013, 07:17 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(12-17-2013, 07:11 PM)Bowhnter Wrote: I must be doing it wrong. How much difference is there between a Muhle and a WD or TGN synthetic?

I haven't tried the WD , but I can tell you that not much between the v 2.0 STF from Muhle and the TGN new synthetic knots.

While I enjoy badger brushes a lot , synthetics is the way to go for me.The new Plisson L'occitan brush is fantastic and works with hard soaps with such an ease !

86 7,123
 12-17-2013, 07:17 PM
  • Arcadies
  • Greeneville, TN
User Info
(12-17-2013, 07:11 PM)Bowhnter Wrote: I must be doing it wrong. How much difference is there between a Muhle and a WD or TGN synthetic?

I use a Muhle V1, a Edwin Jagger V1, a Edwin Jagger V2, a Frank Shaving 28mm Pur-Tech "Chubby" and a seldom used HIS 28mm with monster handle/loft...they all perform similarly as far as lather production and quality.

31 1,510
 12-17-2013, 08:02 PM
User Info
Synthetics are fantastic lathering machines! Congratulations! Smile

75 20,883
 12-18-2013, 04:33 AM
User Info
(12-17-2013, 06:25 PM)mixershave Wrote: I'm a fan of shaving creams and soft soaps given they produce lather quickly. This morning I used my Muhle STR Purist and some DR Harris Windsor soap to see how effective the Muhle synthetic was at coaxing lather out of a hard soap.

The result surprised me - in less than 15 seconds and I had a mountain of creamy lather. These synthetics are truly lather monsters, the only downside is a synthetic brush and hard soap means it may be 2 years before you see the bottom of the soap bowl Wink
The synthetic is top of the class for soap conservation.

0 199
 12-18-2013, 05:10 AM
  • Deuce
  • Just a guy
  • Cave Creek
User Info
This summer I bought a Frank synth for traveling, and it works very well. I passed up a L'Occitane synth brush when I visited their HQ in France this year-I heard you can get them cheaper at the USA outlets. This winter my plan is to really drill down on the brushes, as I've got several boars coming in, a few different shaped badgers (fan/flat top), and sizes to boot.

19 700
 01-04-2014, 08:27 PM
User Info
I think synthetic brushes do perform outstandingly. I've had cheap ones like the Parker and better ones like the Jack Black and they all work great. I recently got a Muhle Silvetip 23mm knot and I like it the best.
Here is a picture of my 3 favorite synthetic brushes and one boar.
From left to right, Jack Black, Muhle, H.I.S. and Omega boar.

[Image: b68hWWT.jpg]

5 1,331
 01-05-2014, 02:36 AM
User Info
Same here.

Great results with traditional triple milled soaps and new synthetics.

0 641
 01-05-2014, 06:38 AM
User Info
I really think the differences in the synthetics is the handles and lofts. The knots that I have tried all perform well. It has been fun trying the multitude of synthetic brushes but the differences in the knots hasn't been very significant. That said I find I like a larger knot than I did with the badgers/boars. I think it is because the control is better with synthetics and they don't bloom much. So far I am happy using synthetic brushes exclusively and can't see myself going back to boars or badgers, but time will tell. I seem to be fickle when it comes to shaving and after a time may get bored with the synthetics. LOL

18 201
 01-05-2014, 07:01 PM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Lets see some action pics...

91 17,795