12-17-2013, 07:02 PM
User Info
I have only tried two synthetics so far, a TGN 22mm at 52 loft, and a WD 24mm at a 58 loft.
I face lather only.
I thought the TGN was hard to get the brush to splay, so left the WD as high as I could as I was hoping for a different result. I got one, actually worse, as the WD is harder to get to splay. It's a workout.

I seen Gary's review of the Simpsons which said the splay was pretty easy.
Is it a general negative trait of synthetics for those who expect some splay when face lathering?

Basically I am asking if I need to cut my losses now and stick to badger or try another?

I do like the really soft tips!

31 1,800
 12-17-2013, 07:19 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(12-17-2013, 07:02 PM)Bowhnter Wrote: I have only tried two synthetics so far, a TGN 22mm at 52 loft, and a WD 24mm at a 58 loft.
I face lather only.
I thought the TGN was hard to get the brush to splay, so left the WD as high as I could as I was hoping for a different result. I got one, actually worse, as the WD is harder to get to splay. It's a workout.

I seen Gary's review of the Simpsons which said the splay was pretty easy.
Is it a general negative trait of synthetics for those who expect some splay when face lathering?

Basically I am asking if I need to cut my losses now and stick to badger or try another?

I do like the really soft tips!

My answer : Plisson L'occitane synthetic.

Splays easily , but keeping some backbone ans such soft tips.One of the best synthetics for facelathering. The same of the new Muhle v 2.0 STF 23 and 25 mm and the Black Fibre ones.

86 7,123
 12-17-2013, 07:26 PM
  • rsp1202
  • Los Angeles
User Info
Teiste, I saw your Muhle lathering video, and it was the reason I got the brush, two of them in fact. But my STF v2 23mm's never did produce the splay that your brushes did. Very tight knots, very frustrating, though still excellent latherers.

I'd certainly be willing to give the Simpsons a try after Gary's review, though would opt for a longer, slimmer handle than the Chubby comes with.

20 1,599
 12-17-2013, 07:35 PM
User Info
I feel like I can put the knot in my hand and get an easy splay, not much pressure at all. Go to my face and it's like needing a real force of strength to get any splay.

31 1,800
 12-17-2013, 08:13 PM
User Info
Wow, Mike, that is very surprising! With the lofts you have stated in both brushes, they should splay, easily!
I have no issues splaying my synthetics. The new Generation 4 ones from Frank Shaving have no issue with splay and the Muhle synthetics might have the best and easiest splay I have seen on syntheitics, too much for me, actually.
I would not give up on them.
Which type of badger brushes were you using? 3-bands?

75 20,883
 12-17-2013, 08:24 PM
User Info
The 23mm Muhle STF brush is very tight and difficult to splay, you have to tilt this brush and press firmly to splay. The 21mm Purist STF and 25mm Muhle STF brushes are different beasts, and very easy to splay.

21 459
 12-18-2013, 04:19 AM
User Info
(12-17-2013, 08:13 PM)celestino Wrote: Wow, Mike, that is very surprising! With the lofts you have stated in both brushes, they should splay, easily!
I have no issues splaying my synthetics. The new Generation 4 ones from Frank Shaving have no issue with splay and the Muhle synthetics might have the best and easiest splay I have seen on syntheitics, too much for me, actually.
I would not give up on them.
Which type of badger brushes were you using? 3-bands?

I have not tried the FS yet, but with 3 knots I don't like, I am wondering how far I need to continue this journey. I am making one for my son (WD 22 at unknown loft as I have not set it yet) and I don't think he's going to like it either.

For badger reference, I use a WSP Prince 2 band (not my favorite but in the rotation), WSP Monarch HMW, Simpsons 58 Best, M&F Emilion, Vie-Long silvertip flatloft, TGN 22mm finest 2 band among others.

My preference would be somewhere between the WSP HMW and Simpsons Best. The M&F might be my favorite if it was a bigger knot.

(12-17-2013, 08:24 PM)mixershave Wrote: The 23mm Muhle STF brush is very tight and difficult to splay, you have to tilt this brush and press firmly to splay. The 21mm Purist STF and 25mm Muhle STF brushes are different beasts, and very easy to splay.

So it sounds like it is hit and miss with the knot diameter and possibly the loft?

Now that I have room in my garage my preference will be to restore my own, or when I get the lathe, turn my own handles.
For that reason, I wasn't interested in higher $ name brand brushes only to find they also don't work for me.

I have a couple more trials to do.

31 1,800
 12-18-2013, 04:27 AM
  • OldDog23
  • BeanTown MetroWest
User Info
can't comment on any other synthetics, but I have an EJ 2012 Synthetic Silvertip that splays like there is no tomorrow !

0 1,291
 12-18-2013, 05:36 AM
User Info
(12-17-2013, 08:24 PM)mixershave Wrote: The 23mm Muhle STF brush is very tight and difficult to splay

I had this brush and I'll second this. Plus the synth hairs "flick" too much. I sold it quickly after trying my frist badger hair brush.

11 829