12-18-2013, 07:12 AM
  • tsimmns
  • Mississippi
User Info
It's that time of year. I have thought all year about doing this and think I will. I have only been in this hobby since February, but I have acquired and sold off some great items. Pretty much the only reason I am doing this is to actually use stuff I have. I have ordered some products in the past and never even opened them (Panna Crema Lavender, RR ABCBA, P160, a TSN Semogue LE brush, etc). So I will be the first on a list saying I participate on this craziness.

Now, the fun part. As I begin the journey I will be stocking up on some items. The items to get before the new years

Soaps: RR Captains Choice, DR Harris Windsor, Brick of Cella, RR Christmas in Tuscany

Blades: I need probably at least one other package of Feather Pro blades because I have about 10 left from my original pack. With these lasting so many shaves 1 package should be good.

A/S: About the only thing I need to get is Kramperts Finest Bay Rum. I have Speick, Kramperts Finest Frostbite, CC Bay Rum and Proraso. Might pick up some Clubman since I've never tried it here locally.

Brushes: I'm good here as I have few and a couple more coming in the mail, including the Simpsons TSN LE along with a Simpsons Commodore I just got in a trade.

With all that said, any input mainly on soaps I should get before the new years. Also, anyone else wanting to join? I know there is a least one of you out there.

I will say this in closing, my items that are off limits are a Cobra 2 and a HuntLee Katana along with a Simpson Duke 3 in Manchurian with a black handle if I can get Mark to make me one sometime in the upcoming year.

15 970
 12-18-2013, 08:01 AM
User Info
Count me in as well. My ADs were a little out of control especially towards the end of this year. The clustered releases of several LE brushes and highly anticipated new soaps was my undoing.

I should be plenty stocked for the year at this point. But I know I will be getting my first straight razor for Christmas and will need to get the various related accessories, so anything else I can think of will be bundled into that order before Jan 1st.

Other than that, my 1 exception item for the year will be a replacement strop if I ruin my first one.

Good Luck!

10 2,062
 12-18-2013, 08:04 AM
User Info
I'm in. Apart from a simpsons synthetic chubby 2, my dream brush. I've got enough stuff to last a good few years, and enough soap to last the rest of my life. (80/90) euro palmolive sticks.

0 199
 12-18-2013, 08:06 AM
  • tsimmns
  • Mississippi
User Info
Alright, 3 of us crazy guys so far.

1. tsimmns - Simpsons Manchurian
2. taborcarn - replacement strop
3. stanthony - Chubby 2 synthetic

15 970
 12-18-2013, 08:42 AM
User Info
QUICKKK!

Moderators DELETE thread - BLASPHEMY I tell you! Biggrin

6 323
 12-18-2013, 08:46 AM
User Info
Oh crap hide, the vendors have caught on!

Tongue

10 2,062
 12-18-2013, 09:45 AM
User Info
Well, you chaps have fun! I have no will-power for this! Blush

75 20,883
 12-18-2013, 09:48 AM
  • Agravic
  • Emeritus
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
(12-18-2013, 09:45 AM)celestino Wrote: Well, you chaps have fun! I have no will-power for this! Blush

Signs011

I'm seriously contemplating the idea of '2014 Anti-Sabbatical Fest' ... Rolleyes

102 17,671
 12-18-2013, 09:50 AM
User Info
(12-18-2013, 09:45 AM)celestino Wrote: Well, you chaps have fun! I have no will-power for this! Blush

Nor do I, and I don't want to. A big part of the fun of this for me is exploring new equipment and products and combinations, whether I end up keeping them or not. As has been said many times, it's a journey.

185 12,010
 12-18-2013, 09:52 AM
User Info
My idea of a sabbatical in 2014? I'm not going to buy anything unless I am in danger of running dry (soaps / blades I like) or see something I really want Tongue

3 3,580
 12-18-2013, 09:52 AM
  • GregDR
  • Illinois
User Info
Definitely sign me up! There's currently just two things I'm looking for. A iKon bulldog handle with the matte finish and a tin of Mikes Hungarian Lavender shave soap and that will do me. Hopefully I can get these two things before the new year but if not those will be my only two exceptions.

As far as other brushes, razors, soaps/creams etc I'm more than set up enough to last a decade or two. I think participating in the sabbatical will help give me that extra push to curb my spending and perhaps turn this hobby into the "money saver" it was intended for in the first place... Wink

53 555
 12-18-2013, 10:00 AM
  • tsimmns
  • Mississippi
User Info
(12-18-2013, 09:52 AM)GregDR Wrote: Definitely sign me up! There's currently just two things I'm looking for. A iKon bulldog handle with the matte finish and a tin of Mikes Hungarian Lavender shave soap and that will do me. Hopefully I can get these two things before the new year but if not those will be my only two exceptions.

As far as other brushes, razors, soaps/creams etc I'm more than set up enough to last a decade or two. I think participating in the sabbatical will help give me that extra push to curb my spending and perhaps turn this hobby into the "money saver" it was intended for in the first place... Wink

Another member to the list

1. tsimmns - Simpsons Manchurian
2. taborcarn - replacement strop
3. stanthony - Chubby 2 synthetic
4. GregDR

15 970
 12-18-2013, 10:19 AM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
Gentlemen (and Ladies)-The Shave Nook is meant as a place where you can share your experiences with shaving hardware and software. Organized Sabbaticals that encourage members to not buy new shaving supplies for a year goes against the spirit of the forum. In other words...it does not lend itself to increasing the knowledge and enjoyment of forum members.

Individuals are certainly free to choose to not buy for a year (or ever) but threads meant to organize a no-buy movement or club are not in the best interests of the Shave Nook.

45 16,359