12-18-2013, 09:03 AM
User Info
I drink coffee, but my day doesn't begin until I've had my first cup of tea.

My morning tea is usually black, with some milk added.

[Image: temporary-1521.jpg]

At other times of the day, I'll drink tea without milk. I never use sweetener. I drink green, white and oolong teas, but in the morning, it's always black tea.

My usual 'cuppa' is made using a China black - FOP. It is really nice, with a smooth, dark, and flavourful cup.

[Image: 6d700767-bf83-4204-a25e-8a8bc12b23cd.jpg]

While my usual black teas come from China or India, I recently decided to try black tea from other countries. I got myself some Kenyan tea and some Indonesian tea:

[Image: temporary-425.jpg]

[Image: temporary-1430.jpg]

The tea in the cup in the first pic is made using the Javanese tea. It makes a nice reddish tea with no astringency. It requires some extra time to steep, but it is certainly a nice change from my usual China BOP.

Of course, these are 'daily users' and are pretty inexpensive. I go through a lot of tea in a month, so I don't want to spend the money on more expensive varieties.

What do you guys drink?

37 1,731
 12-18-2013, 09:22 AM
User Info
every day for many years i drink:

-gyokuro (twisted needle-like from tip of tealeaves grown under shadow its last 20 days)
-matcha (basically grinded gyokuro)
-karigane (gyokuro with stems)
-hojicha (roasted leaves with stems - perfect with a meal)

all from camellia sinensis grown in uji - japan.

occasionally (perhaps twice a month) i drink a cup of simple coffee brewed in a bialetti moka express.

7 1,625
 12-18-2013, 09:49 AM
User Info
Guayaki Yerba Mate, of course! Best Mate there is! Biggrin

http://guayaki.com/

It may be as well-known as my Weber DLC! Biggrin

75 20,883
 12-18-2013, 11:49 AM
User Info
I tried Yerba Mate a long time ago. I don't remember being particularly impressed with the taste. However, that may have been due to the age of the stuff I bought from World Market. I may have to give it another go sometime. Unfortunately, I've only recently done my Upton Tea order, so I'll have to wait until I need other teas to buy some.

They have green and roasted Yerba Mate. Which do you use, Celestino?

------------

Other teas currently in the collection (all from Upton):

White:

China Pai Mu Tan - This is a really nice white tea. Lovely leaves, without the usual cost of white tea. The tea has a delicate flavour, with a beautiful aroma.

Green:

Chinese Gen Mai Cha - This is a Chinese version of a Japanese tea. It uses sencha leaves with toasted rice. The rice tones down the sencha flavour, and makes this a nice evening tea.

Chinese Sencha - This is a straight-up sencha. Tastes exactly like the Japanese tea, but without the high price.

Oolong:

China Oolong Se Chung - This is a beautiful, inexpensive oolong. It tastes like the tea you can get in some of the nicer Chinese restaurants, and my wife and I really like it.

37 1,731
 12-18-2013, 02:08 PM
User Info
Yohann, the link I provided is the Yerba Mate I have used exclusively for the past 20 years. I enjoy it because it is shade-grown as opposed to most that are sun-grown and it is smoked-dried which gives it a very unique flavor; not to everyone's liking, but I love it.
I also think Ravi drinks it! Biggrin

75 20,883