12-18-2013, 12:03 PM
  • GregDR
  • Illinois
User Info
Shave With What Ya Got 2014!

The purpose of this thread is to focus on using the products and software in your posession for as long as possible starting Jan 1st 2014 (details below)

So is there a soap/cream/razor/brush that's been pushed to the back of your den because you find it's performance a little lack luster? Maybe it's a product that you've heard others rave about but for some reason it fell short of your expectations? Now would be a great time to get better acquainted with some of the lesser reached for products in your den because who knows... That puck of soap or tub of cream that's been neglected could be your diamond in the ruff! That goes for razors as well, maybe take a little extra time to figure out the right angle and BAM! You got yourself a BBS and another "go-to" razor.

There's just a few simple rules/guidelines for SWWYG 2014:

1. Shave with what ya got!
2. Let everyone know what products (hardware/software) you'll be using most whether it's something you enjoy using or something you want to give a second chance. (You don't have to make a list if you don't want to, just jump in on the conversation whenever you feel like)
3. Report back here with any product breakthroughs you may have achieved.
4. Most importantly have fun with it!

By the end hopefully you'll either weed out what REALLY doesn't work for you or you'll be able to dominate every soap/cream/brush/razor in your shave nook!

Disclaimer:
any resemblance SWWYG 2014 has to a "shave sabbatical" is simply coincidental and in no way shape or form are you restricted from making any kind of purchases during SWWYG 2014. In the end SWWYG 2014 is really just about second chances....and shaving with what ya got!

My main line up as of 12/18/13:

Brushes:

Simpson (2-bands)
- Tulip 3
- Chubby 2
- Polo 8

Simpson (best)
-Phyl P8
-Case (used for travel)

Semogue (boar)
- Owners Club

Vie-Long (horse)
- 13053M

Forge & Foundry
- Sycamore boar brush

Vintage Restores
- Rubberset (TGN Silvertip grade A)

Razors

- 1960 Fatboy (my current go-to)
- Muhle R41 2011 (this is one I'm going to give another shot)
- iKon OC with pairing Bull Dog 2, BRW or UFO handle
- Gem/Eveready SE's (I want to give them another shot as well)
- I also have a few straights I want to get into the swing of using.
- Muhle Jet (when it gets delivered... Got it! it has a real nice feel to it!)

Soaps

- HTGAM Cavendish, Meta-Nectar, Cherry/Sandalwood/Vanilla
- Tabac
- GFT Rose (this is one I'm determined to get to work right, granted it's the newer version)
- D.R. Harris Windsor & Marlborough
- TFS LE soaps
- W.M. Neumann & Co "1911"
- MWF
- Mama Bears Pipe Tobacco, Christmas Forest & Morning Cup (coffee scented)
- Razorock Cacao
- Speick shave stick (another one I'd like to spend a little time getting acquainted with)
- MDC Fougere
- Mikes Orange, Cedarwood & Black Pepper (tin)
- Mikes Hungarian Lavender (tin)
- Cella

Creams

- GFT Coconut & Sandalwood
- Old Spice Creams (Original, Musk, Lime)
- Proraso Blue

53 555
 12-18-2013, 12:54 PM
User Info
nice oneSmile

0 199
 12-18-2013, 01:23 PM
  • GregDR
  • Illinois
User Info
(12-18-2013, 12:54 PM)stanthony Wrote: nice oneSmile

Thank you!

I've only been traditional wet shaving for about 3 years now and when I started I would get a new soap/razor etc in and I'd have a couple poor shaves then move on to another soap/razor/ etc and then have another poor performance. I was stuck in a loop of mediocrity for about a year until I decided to stick with one soap and one razor for about a month (it happened to be Tabactober). I stuck with one razor (Gillette Fatboy) one soap (Tabac, obviously) and one brush (Semogue OC). Throughout the month I started figuring out the lather, proper angle of the razor etc... by the end I was having the best shaves ever! But that commitment got a little lost in the various AD's that we as wet shavers seem to succumb to so I just thought this would be a fun idea. You know, to work through some of the product (hardware/software) we acquire and discover things that work great that we didn't realize that we had right under our noses.

53 555
 12-18-2013, 02:20 PM
User Info
(12-18-2013, 01:23 PM)GregDR Wrote:
(12-18-2013, 12:54 PM)stanthony Wrote: nice oneSmile

Thank you!

I've only been traditional wet shaving for about 3 years now and when I started I would get a new soap/razor etc in and I'd have a couple poor shaves then move on to another soap/razor/ etc and then have another poor performance. I was stuck in a loop of mediocrity for about a year until I decided to stick with one soap and one razor for about a month (it happened to be Tabactober). I stuck with one razor (Gillette Fatboy) one soap (Tabac, obviously) and one brush (Semogue OC). Throughout the month I started figuring out the lather, proper angle of the razor etc... by the end I was having the best shaves ever! But that commitment got a little lost in the various AD's that we as wet shavers seem to succumb to so I just thought this would be a fun idea. You know, to work through some of the product (hardware/software) we acquire and discover things that work great that we didn't realize that we had right under our noses.
I totally agree, after using a feather asd1 for 1 month solid the shaves were fantastic, smooth with no nicks or burn. However after using a slant then an oc for almost a year and going back to the asd1 I can't seem to dial it back in. This would give me an excuse to persevere in the hope of finding that elusive angle. I also intend to buy only shaving items that can be sourced locally, apart from a simpsons synthetic chubby 2. I wont be posting on here much, if ever again. I've decided to go my own way. Good luck in your shaving questSmile

0 199
 12-18-2013, 02:51 PM
  • GregDR
  • Illinois
User Info
(12-18-2013, 02:20 PM)stanthony Wrote: I totally agree, after using a feather asd1 for 1 month solid the shaves were fantastic, smooth with no nicks or burn. However after using a slant then an oc for almost a year and going back to the asd1 I can't seem to dial it back in. This would give me an excuse to persevere in the hope of finding that elusive angle. I also intend to buy only shaving items that can be sourced locally, apart from a simpsons synthetic chubby 2. I wont be posting on here much, if ever again. I've decided to go my own way. Good luck in your shaving questSmile

Yes, there's a lot that can be said about consistency and nurturing good habits.

Good luck to you as well!

53 555
 12-21-2013, 12:07 PM
User Info
While I will not be a member of the SWWYG club for 2014, financial concerns will pretty much dictate that I do follow this for the most part. I will continue to snag the occasional LE brush, but with more razors than I know what to do with, 20 or so LE brushes, and at least 5 years worth of soap I doubt I will be spending much in 2014.

That said, Semogue and Simpsons brushes will remain on my radar for purchase as well as perhaps one more soap (yeah .... more soap).

129 6,685
 12-28-2013, 08:47 AM
  • GregDR
  • Illinois
User Info
(12-21-2013, 12:07 PM)wingdo Wrote: While I will not be a member of the SWWYG club for 2014, financial concerns will pretty much dictate that I do follow this for the most part. I will continue to snag the occasional LE brush, but with more razors than I know what to do with, 20 or so LE brushes, and at least 5 years worth of soap I doubt I will be spending much in 2014.

That said, Semogue and Simpsons brushes will remain on my radar for purchase as well as perhaps one more soap (yeah .... more soap).

Always room for more LE's!

Definitely know what you're talking about soaps... You've got the classics that work great then you've got the newer artisans coming out with great soaps left and right... It's awesome and daunting at the same time! I'm really thankfull for Tgutc's sample shop!

[Image: PY1uXT6.jpg]
Add these to my list of soaps!

Strop Shoppe's Holiday Pack (w/tallow)
-Blaze
-Barbershoppe
-Baker Street
-Black Tie

Barrister & Mann soap samples

------------

So far I've used the Blaze from Strop Shoppe. Awesome scent! It's described as being their "holiday" scent. Smells kind of like a smokey cologne, in a good way. Sort of like a stronger TOBS Jermyn St. Great performance as well, it felt a little warm on my face but I'm thinking that was due to slightly dry skin because of the cold weather.

53 555
 12-28-2013, 09:19 AM
  • Deco
  • シングルエッジ
  • Rocky Mountains
User Info
I have a spartan selection but I'm game...

Razors:
Gem MicroMatic Flying Wing - primary
Gillette Pre-war Fat Tech - rarely used
Gem Featherweight - never used

Brushes:
Omega Mighty Midget Wide Waist - primary
Omega #49 - was primary until a week ago

Soaps:
Cella - primary
RazoRock Moroccan Secret - rarely used
Coates Rose Shaving Cream - used once

SE Blades:
Gem SS PFTE - primary

DE Blades:
Persona Medical Prep - rarely used
Astra SP - rarely used
Feather - used once

1 239
 12-28-2013, 01:51 PM
  • MaxP
  • Madison, WI
User Info
While I understand the concept, and really should adopt such a personal posture, it would be disingenuous if I did.

Buying, trying, trading, selling is simply too enjoyable to stop!

47 1,380
 12-28-2013, 02:40 PM
  • GregDR
  • Illinois
User Info
(12-28-2013, 01:51 PM)MaxP Wrote: While I understand the concept, and really should adopt such a personal posture, it would be disingenuous if I did.

Buying, trying, trading, selling is simply too enjoyable to stop!

You don't have to "stop" any of those things!

SWWYG is not just for those that may want to "restrain" themselves from anything. You may have a ton of shaving gear that you may want to try to commit to working through. Possibly you have some product that got pushed to the back of the shelf that people rant and raved about but didn't work quite well for you. If you want you can try to revisit that product and "figure it out" per say. Then share your experience on your breakthrough!

There's definitely no restrictions of any sort.

53 555
 12-28-2013, 02:51 PM
User Info
Im up.for giving this a go, I have far to much stuff at the moment with only two creams where I am just getting to the bottom. It would be an achievement to actually finish something off. I have also found extended use of a soap or cream really helps to get the best from it, you learn where the sweet spot of a product is.

Sent from my LT15i using Tapatalk 2

0 123
 12-28-2013, 02:52 PM
  • GregDR
  • Illinois
User Info
(12-28-2013, 09:19 AM)Deco Wrote: I have a spartan selection but I'm game...

Cool!

I see the Micromatic seems to be your go-to. That's something I want to take some time to get more familiar with is my SE razors.

I need to get some of those Gem SS PFTE blades as well.

(12-28-2013, 02:51 PM)fly3k Wrote: Im up.for giving this a go, I have far to much stuff at the moment with only two creams where I am just getting to the bottom. It would be an achievement to actually finish something off. I have also found extended use of a soap or cream really helps to get the best from it, you learn where the sweet spot of a product is.

It is nice to finish a product every now and then. Only thing I've finished in the last 3yrs was a tub of TOBS "Rose" and that was after giving away a few samples of it as well. I'd really like to finish a soap at some point.

Definitely agree with the extended use of one soap and getting the best out of it. I plan on working my way through some of this MWF I've got.

53 555
 12-28-2013, 03:17 PM
User Info
(12-28-2013, 02:52 PM)GregDR Wrote:
(12-28-2013, 09:19 AM)Deco Wrote: I have a spartan selection but I'm game...

Cool!

I see the Micromatic seems to be your go-to. That's something I want to take some time to get more familiar with is my SE razors.

I need to get some of those Gem SS PFTE blades as well.

(12-28-2013, 02:51 PM)fly3k Wrote: Im up.for giving this a go, I have far to much stuff at the moment with only two creams where I am just getting to the bottom. It would be an achievement to actually finish something off. I have also found extended use of a soap or cream really helps to get the best from it, you learn where the sweet spot of a product is.

It is nice to finish a product every now and then. Only thing I've finished in the last 3yrs was a tub of TOBS "Rose" and that was after giving away a few samples of it as well. I'd really like to finish a soap at some point.

Definitely agree with the extended use of one soap and getting the best out of it. I plan on working my way through some of this MWF I've got.

MWF is one that takes a little learning especially in harder water, think I finally cracked it recently. I keep saying I will constantly use it until its gone, I had a good week of shaves from it recently but of course need to try out all the goodies I got for Xmas so it's taken a back seat.

Got quite a few Stirling soaps to try out at the moment.

0 123
 12-28-2013, 03:44 PM
  • Deco
  • シングルエッジ
  • Rocky Mountains
User Info
(12-28-2013, 02:52 PM)GregDR Wrote: I need to get some of those Gem SS PFTE blades as well.
Connaught Shaving has the cheapest prices even with shipping from England to the States. Might as well throw in one of those Mighty Midget Wide Waist brushes while you're at it. (I wish I would have ordered two midgets - one for each shave area - instead of just one.) Order quick before Jan 1st!!!

1 239
 12-28-2013, 05:12 PM
  • GregDR
  • Illinois
User Info
(12-28-2013, 03:44 PM)Deco Wrote:
(12-28-2013, 02:52 PM)GregDR Wrote: I need to get some of those Gem SS PFTE blades as well.
Connaught Shaving has the cheapest prices even with shipping from England to the States. Might as well throw in one of those Mighty Midget Wide Waist brushes while you're at it. (I wish I would have ordered two midgets - one for each shave area - instead of just one.)

I'll have to check that out! Thanks for the links!

53 555
 12-30-2013, 05:52 AM
User Info
I will participate in this. My biggest problem is impulse control and I've found that the first steps I need to take (be it in any bad habits I have) is to cut it out completely. I don't want to contemplate exactly how much I spent in shaving gear in the past calendar year.

72 1,407
 01-15-2014, 01:30 PM
  • GregDR
  • Illinois
User Info
(12-30-2013, 05:52 AM)jpakstis Wrote: I will participate in this. My biggest problem is impulse control and I've found that the first steps I need to take (be it in any bad habits I have) is to cut it out completely. I don't want to contemplate exactly how much I spent in shaving gear in the past calendar year.

I feel ya!

I'm definitely working through a lot of "impulse" buys right now.

Here is one of the things I'm looking to conquer in 2014

The SE razor.

I had a couple bad experiences in the past with a Gem 1912 & OCMM so I shoved the SE's WAAAYYY to the back of my den.

[Image: 29xspb7.jpg]

I've heard so many good things about single edge razors though I've decided to give them another shot. Starting off with the Gem-G bar, I've heard is one of the most forgiving/mild razors in the SE family.

Here's my setup for my first shave with the SE:

-Gem G-bar w/ptfe coated blades
-Simpson P8
-WM Neumann & Co "1911" shave soap
-DR Harris "Marlborough" aftershave

...Had a great lather out of the Neumann's 1911, probably one of my all time favorite shave soap scents to date. There's really nothing I can complain about the way the G-bar performed I really made sure to mind the angle and I hit a few rough patches when I tried to go against the grain which resulted in a few weepers on my neck (under chin region) and some patchy irritation. After 3 passes I still had some stubble left but decided to skip any touch ups because of the patchy irritation.

I think I still need to improve on the angle a bit. Definitely going to stick with the g-bar for right now. I love the audible feedback a SE gives.

53 555
 01-15-2014, 01:49 PM
  • Deco
  • シングルエッジ
  • Rocky Mountains
User Info
(01-15-2014, 01:30 PM)GregDR Wrote: I think I still need to improve on the angle a bit. Definitely going to stick with the g-bar for right now. I love the audible feedback a SE gives.
I get very good results doing just 2 passes - neither of them in the direction of hair growth - and some touch ups. I'm using a Flying Wing.

1 239
 01-15-2014, 02:54 PM
  • GregDR
  • Illinois
User Info
(01-15-2014, 01:49 PM)Deco Wrote: I get very good results doing just 2 passes - neither of them in the direction of hair growth - and some touch ups. I'm using a Flying Wing.

Yeah, I've heard of people going against the grain with no problem. Definitely need to work on the angle.

Do you do any type of scything motion at all? or is it pretty much just straight forward strokes.

53 555
 01-16-2014, 08:31 AM
  • GregDR
  • Illinois
User Info
hmmm.... I guess I'll try X grain with my first pass and see what happens.

53 555