12-19-2013, 03:15 PM
User Info
I have been suffering for the last 4+ years by not having a grill. One of our goals after we purchased our first house this past summer was to get a grill. For some reason I have been hesitant to get one. Then I ran across something called a Wood Pellet Grill. After a little bit of research it was clear that this was the type of grill that I wanted to try. We found a local retailer, went by for a demonstration, and ordered it. It was delivered yesterday and I put it together as soon as I finished dinner. I'm very excited to be able to grill again along with all of the other things that this intriguing design can do.

So what did I get? I'm glad you asked. Here is my new Traeger Wood Pellet Grill -- Lil' Tex Elite…

[Image: V9QcGgK.jpg]

[Image: HCyJ753.jpg]

[Image: q2a48ER.jpg]

[Image: 4WVmhwj.jpg]

[Image: 6hGvFgb.jpg]

So what are you firing up and cooking on?

31 7,912
 12-19-2013, 03:19 PM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
Use it in the best of health, Brian.

2 11,211
 12-19-2013, 03:26 PM
  • Deco
  • シングルエッジ
  • Rocky Mountains
User Info
I have a small Weber Smokey Joe. The best grill I've ever owned was a $7 stamped steel Hibachi. Would buy one every 3 or 4 years. The only reason I own the Weber is Kmart no longer sells the el cheapo Hibachi.
[Image: Premium-Hibachi-Tailgate-Bbq-G-121257.jpg]

1 239
 12-19-2013, 03:29 PM
User Info
That's a lovely grill. I'm sure you'll get a lot of use out if it.

---------

I use a Char-Broil gas grill. It's not nearly as good for flavouring food as my old Weber was, but it's a lot more convenient.

I grill year-round: in the rain, snow, sun....you name it. The best part of it is that I turn it on, and 5 min later I can cook my food, so throwing something on the grill after a long day's work is a piece of cake.

One of these days I'll set aside the money for a really nice grill. Until then my cheapie grill will have to do.

One thing: It looks like the grate is not cast iron. If you can find a replacement grate that is cast-iron, that will make your life a lot easier. I speak from experience. Blush

37 1,731
 12-19-2013, 03:40 PM
User Info
Good luck with your Traeger Brian!

I'm using our old Primo Oval XL Ceramic. I've had it since '05 (?). Anyway the year is a just a guess. It might be older.

It bakes, grills, smokes, smoke cooks, it's my wood (lump charcoal anyway) fired "stone" oven, and pizza maker; you name it and it does it in any type of weather. Here it is set up with automatic controls so that I can sleep while it does it's thing to within about a degree of the set point. I don't even need to go outside to change the programming. The ProComm4 (BBQ Guru) allows me to do that from inside. The PC4 is old technology at this point but it still works fine.

I can't tell you how much BBQ and grilled meat has been cooked on it, or how many pizzas. It's a lot though.

[Image: Oval_1ststorm_sm.jpg]

32 6,308
 12-19-2013, 03:41 PM
User Info
Thanks Yohann. I believe that the grate is porcelain. I'll have to look at the manual again but that is what is rattling around the ol' noggin' at the moment. Is a cast-iron grate preferred in the same way that people prefer cast-iron skillets?

(12-19-2013, 03:40 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: Primo Oval XL Ceramic

Is that like the Big Green Egg, Brian?

31 7,912
 12-19-2013, 04:13 PM
User Info
Basically Brian. OK, there is no delicate way to put this. They are much the same but I think the Primo is better. It's much more versatile without kludge fixes, and it's more like the actual shape of brisket and ribs so it fits them inside much better. Plus it's made in the USA and has a really great warranty.

They do cook the same. We have lots of BGE owners who dumped their BGEs, and lots who still have their BGEs over on the Primogrillforum.com and they report no difference in the way they cook. Other than the Primo is built to do different things without, as I wrote, the kludge fixes required with BGE. I'm just the messanger, I don't have a BGE, but I can read what the BGE owners write. It can be thought of as a product improved 2nd gen BGE. Primo saw what was wrong and didn't make the same mistakes. It helped that they had BGE owners helping to design the Primo line, at least at first. Some of them are members on the Primo forum, at least one is a mod'.

Come on over to the forum. It's poor form to talk the Traeger up since Primo pays the bills, but we do allow other folks to come over and partake of the BBQ info and recipes and such. It's OK to mention the Traeger, and you'll be welcomed, but we really can't answer questions about it. We do have a few Traeger owners on the Primo site. I'm BBQinMaineiac over there and a Mod' . Join after 0000 and I'll probably be the mod' to OK your membership since most all others are sleeping.

32 6,308
 12-19-2013, 05:26 PM
User Info
Congrats on the new Traeger! enjoy it

I too have a Primo Oval XL and love it

31 1,800
 12-19-2013, 08:39 PM
User Info
Congratulations, Brian (sharpspine), on the new grill! Biggrin

75 20,883
 12-20-2013, 04:39 AM
User Info
I like the name "Weber" because it brings to mind the razors and my humble charcoal grill.

47 1,270
 12-20-2013, 07:31 AM
User Info
Brian - I didn't realize it was porcelain. That's great!

I still am a proponent for cast iron, but that's because I prefer cooking on cast iron in general. I really love the way it helps cook meat.

Porcelain has its proponents too, of course.

Either way, you're going to have a great time with the grill.

37 1,731
 12-20-2013, 03:51 PM
User Info
It's not porcelain, it's ceramic.

32 6,308
 12-21-2013, 07:08 AM
User Info
(12-20-2013, 03:51 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: It's not porcelain, it's ceramic.

whoops! My mistake! I was thinking ceramic and writing porcelain.

37 1,731
 12-25-2013, 07:24 AM
User Info
20 lb turkey about to roast for several hours on the Traeger. Using a mix of hickory & apple wood pellets. Look for the finished bird later.

Merry Christmas all!

[Image: dqr9bbu.jpg]

31 7,912
 12-25-2013, 11:23 AM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
The best of Christmas to you, too, Brian. Enjoy that Christmas meal. Thumbsup

2 11,211
 12-25-2013, 06:21 PM
User Info
Over cooked it just a little bit but I am quite pleased with how my first turkey came out. The crispy skin was delicious.

[Image: sZrvEj8.jpg]

31 7,912
 12-25-2013, 08:26 PM
User Info
Excellent Brian!

Did your cooking plan work out?

32 6,308
 12-26-2013, 04:35 AM
User Info
Yes Brian, everything turned out nicely. Probably should have cooked for about an hour less but other than that I was very happy with it.

31 7,912