12-20-2013, 09:25 AM
User Info
I want to invite you to share your experience of Simpson Manchurian vs. regular Simpson 2 Band hair. I have been using both in different varieties.

While I overall prefer the 2 Band over the Manchurian due to its softer face fell, I also admit that I do like the less dense Manchurian versions (e.g. Beehive, Jubilee) over the more dense varieties (e.g. Duke 3). I have not tried a Chubby in Manchurian and doubt that I would like it.

Hence, please share your experiences and preferences. Feel free to share pics.

I start with mine.

[Image: Lg32PHa.jpg]

[Image: fZ1pQxv.jpg]

[Image: Cwxtql9.jpg]

[Image: VVdCOiz.jpg]

31 1,554
 12-20-2013, 10:47 AM
User Info
Great post! I have been using my Chubby 3 Manchurian with my Chubby 3 2-Band and have been jotting down my thoughts...I'll post them up here when I have some final thoughts!

14 276
 12-20-2013, 10:49 AM
User Info
Looking forward to it!
(12-20-2013, 10:47 AM)teeitup418holes Wrote: Great post! I have been using my Chubby 3 Manchurian with my Chubby 3 2-Band and have been jotting down my thoughts...I'll post them up here when I have some final thoughts!

31 1,554
 12-20-2013, 01:40 PM
User Info
I have a few, recently parted with a whole load of Manchurians. But here it goes...

The first batch of manchurian hair I didn't really like. To scrubby, bit of scritch and I found the lofts too low for the hair. These are now gone.

The original 2 band, from the Douglas, Grosvenor LE era (when LE's really were LE's). Wow. This is the one for me.

The latest 2 band I find way too soft, don't really enjoy it. Also they are quite bulbous knots so to get them to splay and create that magic cup in the knot, you have to press quite hard. Pressing hard causes lather to be pushed out the brush. I found this quite annoying and sold a few of these too.

The latest Manchurian, this is quite nice. I do enjoy this hair. Very different from the first lot. Bright white tips, very much in feel like the old 2 band but slightly softer tips.

I look forward to hearing others experiences on these.

7 1,179
 12-20-2013, 11:03 PM
User Info
Hmmm interesting thread. I'll also do some test face lathers tomorrow and post a few thoughts. I have to say that Simpson make the best overall brush, however wish they added a more delicate silvertip to their line-up.

21 459
 12-21-2013, 06:04 PM
User Info
The only direct comparison I can make is the Chubby 3 in 2-band vs. the Chubby 3 Manchurian.

The Manchurian had more backbone than any brush I ever used, although the 2-band is also very stiff. The Manchurian's density exceeded the 2-band's and was more like a CH3 3-band. I am going from memory, but as I recall, the Manchurian may have had a shorter loft, which would further account for it's extreme stiffness.

The feel of the Manchurian against my skin was lush, but very unyielding. Again, that lushness reminded me of the CH3 Super 3-band, but that's where the comparison ends. The hairs on the two band were definitely more flexible than the Manchurian's and therefore, more comfortable.

Both brushes are soap hogs, but the Manchurian was a bigger hog than the 2-band.

As for workmanship, I make this statement after owning at least 50 brushes: The Manchurian had absolutely, positively the most beautiful, symmetirical and best-made knot I have ever owned or expect to own.

66 692
 12-21-2013, 09:32 PM
User Info
I shaved this morning with the M7s in 2 band and Manchurian.

The Manchurian is a fan knot and densely packed. The brush has very good backbone with low to moderate splay. The knot as vocalistbob stated above is a little unyielding and it's also a bit of a lather hog, this is probably due to the thicker Manchurian hair and the knot density. Face feel is firm and very good, it feels like the hair is a little oily and they're moving together in unison while you're making circular motions to create a lather. It took 20 seconds of face lathering to create a good lather with the Manchurian.

The M7 2 band is a bulb knot and less densely packed. Upon close inspection the Simpson 2 band hairs are also finer in diameter than the Manchurian. The knot has moderate backbone and splays much easier than the Manchurian, however this has a lot to do with the knot density and the fineness of the 2 band hair. Good face feel and it seems the hairs have more 'freedom' to move in the knot. The hairs feel a little softer than the Manchurian but also dryer, a little less oily. It takes 10-15 seconds to create an excellent lather with the 2 band.

These are excellent brushes and unique in their own way. The Manchurian takes longer to create a lather, however this is a very unique hair and I don't believe there is a denser 'two band' knot of this quality in the market (M+F 2XL was denser, you're right hon). The 2 Band creates a lather quicker than the Manchurian and it feels softer on the face with it's finer hairs. If I could choose only one... it would be the 2 band, it creates an excellent lather faster and has softer face feel. Luckily, we can choose both Biggrin

21 459
 12-22-2013, 09:36 AM
  • hon
User Info
Anyone able to comment about the later batch of non gel Rooney Stubby Heritage XL versus the present Simpson Manchurian?
From my understanding the XL is a very dense brush too.
Thanks.

0 38
 12-22-2013, 09:54 AM
User Info
(12-22-2013, 09:36 AM)hon Wrote: Anyone able to comment about the later batch of non gel Rooney Stubby Heritage XL versus the present Simpson Manchurian?
From my understanding the XL is a very dense brush too.
Thanks.

I have two Heritage 2XL's, a Duke 3 and a Rover both in Manchurian.

The 2XL's are definitely more dense, more backbone and softer than the Manchurian. They are all in my top 5 but I prefer the Heritage 2XL's.

8 243
 12-22-2013, 11:08 PM
User Info
Lovely pictures as always German.

I personally find the Manchurian to have a good scrub and better backbone vs the two band. I no longer own Simpson two band brushes as I really prefer the three band super and manchurian. The two band offers soft luxurious tips and more flexible and thinner hair shafts.

63 2,128
 12-23-2013, 03:04 AM
User Info
I have a beehive Manchurian coming for Christmas.
Looking forward to giving it a road test Boxing Day.

0 10