12-21-2013, 10:32 AM
  • Barrylu
  • Portland OR
User Info
I thought I would start a new thread in The Café. This thread will concern itself with current brewing techniques and equipment Currently, I start my mornings off brewing a pot of coffee with a Technivorm CDGT 10 cup coffee brewer. It is a drip brewer manufactured in Holland. The machine is built very solid and has a lifetime of 20 years plus. It is a bit pricey but when you cost account it out over a 20 year plus life span it works out much cheaper than off the shelf brands of available drip brewers.
Off the shelf drip brewers brew coffee at 185 degrees F. Coffee brewed at this low a temperature are dulled in the higher tones and suffer from incomplete extraction of coffee flavors. The Technivorm is one of the few coffee makers approved by The Specialty Coffee Association of America (SCAA). This brewer consistently brews coffee at 203 degrees F at sea level. This temperature maximally extracts flavor from the bean. Not only that the CDGT delivers a 10 cup payload in record time. The machine is powered by a fast 1475 watt, 13 Amp. heater. Coffee is delivered to a 10 cup Carafe which keeps the coffee hot for about 2 hours. Coffee which is more than 2 hours old shouldn’t be consumed anyway. Coffee that is brewed, drops into a glass pot and is kept warm and reheated on a hot plate is guaranteed to result in coffee unfit for human consumption.
Oh yes price. This brewer is price fixed at 299. However, they often show up on e-bay NIB for as low as 214. For fast, tasteful hassle free drip coffee I personally recommend the Technivorm CDGT.

57 916
 12-21-2013, 10:51 AM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
Also to consider and works the same way is the Bonavita Thermal 8 cup for $169.00...just doesn,t have the open/close on the drip cone.

6 1,913
 12-21-2013, 11:17 AM
  • Barrylu
  • Portland OR
User Info
(12-21-2013, 10:51 AM)Harvey Wrote: Also to consider and works the same way is the Bonavita Thermal 8 cup for $169.00...just doesn,t have the open/close on the drip cone.
I like the Bonivita as well. However, it is only an 8 cup rather than 10. Plus it does not have the track record that Technivorm has.But it really does seem to be well built.

Harvey The new Behmor looks really interesting. The brewer corrects temperature for altitude. For people living above sea level it might be a viable alternative. It is so different now than just a few years ago. There was only the Technivorm. The choice was only 8 cup or 10 cup.

57 916
 12-21-2013, 01:51 PM
  • Elendil
  • Raggedy man, good night
  • The snow's back.
User Info
I'm kind of hoping that my current Krups brewer dies so that I can pick up a Technivorm.

0 1,136
 12-21-2013, 02:23 PM
User Info
Sorry guys, but this is way over my head. I'm still trying to master the French press, as well as the aero press. LOL ..... However, I would like to enter the world of high tech drip.

Peace

0 1
 12-21-2013, 03:10 PM
  • ojinsa
  • San Antonio
User Info
Has anyone used both the technivorm and the bonavita? I'm curious to see how the bonavita measures up head to head.

27 860
 12-21-2013, 03:20 PM
  • Barrylu
  • Portland OR
User Info
(12-21-2013, 01:51 PM)Elendil Wrote: I'm kind of hoping that my current Krups brewer dies so that I can pick up a Technivorm.
That's kind of like saying can't wait to finish this Marvy soap so I can buy some MWF. Put the Krups in the Garage sale basket and start drinking good coffee. Life is too short to waste on cartrage blades and bad coffee.

(12-21-2013, 03:10 PM)ojinsa Wrote: Has anyone used both the technivorm and the bonavita? I'm curious to see how the bonavita measures up head to head.
No but I have used it in comparison with any Vac pot and have say the Vac pot is superior to The Technivorm. Vac pot is possibly superior to any drip pot.

57 916
 12-21-2013, 03:50 PM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
I bought the Bonavita because it was shorter and would fit under the cupboards in my kitchen...The Moccamaster(Technnivorm) is much taller and was not rated any higher in brewing ability,speed or satisfaction than the Bonavita...possibly on looks maybe but mine works very quickly and is rated at the proper brewing temperature and has a special drip cone and spray head....uses # 4 paper filters...I use either 6 or 6 1/2 scoops for 8 cups and I,m totally happy.

6 1,913
 12-21-2013, 03:58 PM
  • Barrylu
  • Portland OR
User Info
(12-21-2013, 03:50 PM)Harvey Wrote: I bought the Bonavita because it was shorter and would fit under the cupboards in my kitchen...The Moccamaster(Technnivorm) is much taller and was not rated any higher in brewing ability,speed or satisfaction than the Bonavita...possibly on looks maybe but mine works very quickly and is rated at the proper brewing temperature and has a special drip cone and spray head....uses # 4 paper filters...I use either 6 or 6 1/2 scoops for 8 cups and I,m totally happy.
I didn't mean to knock the pot. I've never even used one. I was just trying to get a discussion and comparrison going.

57 916
 12-21-2013, 05:51 PM
  • ojinsa
  • San Antonio
User Info
The vac pot still intrigues me, and I've seen some offered from a vendor in England with a pretty good selection. Barry, once brewed does the vac pot maintain its temperature?

27 860
 12-21-2013, 06:48 PM
  • Barrylu
  • Portland OR
User Info
(12-21-2013, 05:51 PM)ojinsa Wrote: The vac pot still intrigues me, and I've seen some offered from a vendor in England with a pretty good selection. Barry, once brewed does the vac pot maintain its temperature?
No once brewed the contents have to be consumed then or transferred to a Carafe or Thermos. If not consumed after 2 hours throw it out and make another pot.

57 916
 07-20-2014, 04:22 PM
User Info
Here is a cold press from a local shop. [Image: geha2ame.jpg]

Cheers Ron

0 5
 07-20-2014, 06:51 PM
  • TexBilly
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Austin, TX
User Info
I've been loving my Chemex for sometime now but still covet a Technivorm. Someday, someday.

35 2,703
 07-23-2014, 01:21 PM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(12-21-2013, 05:51 PM)ojinsa Wrote: The vac pot still intrigues me, and I've seen some offered from a vendor in England with a pretty good selection. Barry, once brewed does the vac pot maintain its temperature?

Among vacuum pots currently in production and (more or less) generally available, there are four price points:

$$$$ The "balance beam" copper pots that put on a terrific show for your guests, but are a PITA to maintain and keep spiffy;

$$$ The Cona line from England, Gorgeous, makes great coffee, and very fragile. Available from Sweet Maria's.

$$ The Hario line from Japan. Made of more robust glass than the Cona, but still can be broken if you are determined to break one. Currently, there is no United States distributor, but Rayfish of Richmond, British Columbia, doing business as Avenue18, Link to Avenue18, will ship to U.S. addresses.

$ The Yama line from Japan, available from Sweet Maria's.

For the past dozen years, we have brewed every day with the best of Hario's vac pots, the Hario Nouveau. Unfortunately, Hario has discontinued the 20 fluid ounce ("5 cup") model of that line, but Avenue18 has an almost complete stock of Nouveau replacement parts, and a Nouveau can be "assembled" from those parts. (The "Pytordh" wickless alcohol burner may be difficult to obtain, but several places sell a butane burner that can be substituted.) The model numbers of the main Hario Nouveau parts are NCA5 and DCA5: The Hario Nouveau 5 cup

A vacuum pot differs from a drip coffee maker in two ways: the water contacts the grounds at almost boiling temperature, and all of the brewing water mixes with all of the ground coffee throughout most of the brewing. The Technivorm addresses the temperature matter more or less adequately, but does not address the other matter.

In a drip coffee maker, the first water through the coffee passes through fresh, dry, ground coffee, and the last water through passes through mostly spent grounds; but both the first water and the last water are in contact with the ground coffee only briefly before passing out to the pot. Coffee brews differently according to the ratio of suspended solids to water and how long the water and the grounds are in contact with each other, and those relationships change throughout a drip coffee maker's brewing cycle.

Incidentally, we substituted a vintage Cory glass rod, readily available on eBay, for the replaceable filters on the Hario Nouveau, and it was an unqualified improvement.

0 820
 07-29-2014, 07:11 AM
  • Andrew
  • Austin, TX
User Info
I'll concur with both Barry's and Mel's sentiments here.

First, the Technivorm - I picked one up about 15 years ago or more. This was before they released the version that brews into a thermal carafe. This machine has seen regular use over the years and still performs as it did when new. The build quality is outstanding. My only complaint with it is that it brews into a non-insulated glass pot sitting on a warming plate. As Barry mentioned, a glass coffee pot on a warming plate wrecks the coffee, so I'd always pour the coffee into a different vessel as soon as it was ready.

About 7 years ago, my wife gifted me one of the newer machines that brews into a thermal carafe, and this is a big improvement. Everything else about the machine is similar to my older one, but I no longer have to contend with the coffee-ruining hot plate.

Like Mel, I have been brewing with Hario Nouveau vac pots for years, which I obtained from Avenue 18 before they were discontinued. I made sure to order back up glass for both my NCA-5 and NCA-3. What's so great about the Nouveau line? The Hario glass is top quality. The shape is very appealing and well thought out for making the perfect pot. The only thing I have had to do for my Hario vac pots over the years is replace the rubber seal.

Recently, Hario has released a new vacuum pot design, with which I have no experience. It looks interesting, though:

http://www.dearcoffeeiloveyou.com/hario-...he-syphon/

All this being said, I'm going to head over to my espresso machine for another shot now.

43 1,690
 09-21-2014, 03:57 PM
  • dajmacd
  • Tennessee River Valley
User Info
I've been primarily using a french press for about 8 years after picking up my first one for ~$5 at a local thrift store. I also have a pour-over pot and a stovetop moka pot that I use occasionally. I like the FP and pour-over for 2 reasons. I can always nail the correct water temp in my kettle, and I can use them when the power is out (a not uncommon occurrence where I live).
I do also have a Bosch Tassimo which I picked up at a thrift store for ~$8 but I rarely use it as the t-discs are insanely expensive.

4 179
 09-21-2014, 04:28 PM
User Info
Awww... I saw the title of the thread and thought we were talking about beer. Blush

I'm more of a tea person, but my wife uses our Technivorm Moccamaster daily and loves it.

Getting low on the stout my dad and I brewed a little while ago. Time to start thinking about another batch. Biggrin

0 935
 09-21-2014, 04:56 PM
User Info
(09-21-2014, 04:28 PM)Shannons Soaps Wrote: Awww... I saw the title of the thread and thought we were talking about beer. Blush

I'm more of a tea person, but my wife uses our Technivorm Moccamaster daily and loves it.

Getting low on the stout my dad and I brewed a little while ago. Time to start thinking about another batch. Biggrin

Ha ha ! Me too ! I was going to post a pic of my carboys doing their thing Wink

6 1,224
 09-21-2014, 08:09 PM
User Info
(09-21-2014, 04:28 PM)Shannons Soaps Wrote: Awww... I saw the title of the thread and thought we were talking about beer. Blush

I thought it was a beer thread, as well. Maybe we need one of those.

I've used a French press for years and have never heard of the vac or siphon methods. Very interesting. In the siphon method, what is the fuel used to heat the water?

21 1,471
 09-21-2014, 08:23 PM
  • Barrylu
  • Portland OR
User Info
(09-21-2014, 08:09 PM)lindyhop66 Wrote:

I thought it was a beer thread, as well. Maybe we need one of those.

I've used a French press for years and have never heard of the vac or siphon methods. Very interesting. In the siphon method, what is the fuel used to heat the water?
Usually denatured alcohol

57 916