12-22-2013, 08:04 AM
User Info
We are not coffee connoisseurs. In fact I do not drink it. But my wife does. Supermarket brands are find with her.

She does notice a taste difference and prefers coffee made in a french press. We have a stainless steel one that I preheat before making coffee. It is insulated and keeps the coffee hot.

I only use the press on the weekends (Yes I am the coffee maker even though I do not drink the stuff). Part of the reason is for clean up.

How do you get the wet grinds out of the pot? The drip coffee maker has a permanent gold plated basket that is easy to empty into the trash. We have a septic system so the grounds need to go into the trash can - not down the drain.

I use a rubber spatula to scrape out most of the grinds but still wind up with plenty going down my drain.

So how do you folks clean a french press?

Thanks,
Phil

7 363
 12-22-2013, 08:13 AM
User Info
i simple dump the used ground in trash with a firm motion. the rest are flushed down the drain when cleaning out the press - and i do have a septic system as well - but it is enormous and emptied every 2 years.

7 1,624
 12-22-2013, 08:40 AM
User Info
I use my fingers to wipe out the press and a mesh sink drain guard to catch the rest when I rinse out the press and screen. I then dump the remnants caught in the screen into the trash. That should get almost all of it.

9 197
 12-22-2013, 08:41 AM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
(12-22-2013, 08:04 AM)PhilNH5 Wrote: We are not coffee connoisseurs. In fact I do not drink it. But my wife does. Supermarket brands are find with her.

She does notice a taste difference and prefers coffee made in a french press. We have a stainless steel one that I preheat before making coffee. It is insulated and keeps the coffee hot.

I only use the press on the weekends (Yes I am the coffee maker even though I do not drink the stuff). Part of the reason is for clean up.Look the filters up at Roastmasters under"filters"and /or French press.

How do you get the wet grinds out of the pot? The drip coffee maker has a permanent gold plated basket that is easy to empty into the trash. We have a septic system so the grounds need to go into the trash can - not down the drain.

I use a rubber spatula to scrape out most of the grinds but still wind up with plenty going down my drain.

So how do you folks clean a french press?

Thanks,
Phil

I saw a paper filter which you can use on a french press which would certainly make clean up easier...another way is to use it in the garden and hose out the contents.

The filters are sold at Roastmasters...look under "filters" and /or French press

6 2,022
 12-22-2013, 08:52 AM
  • vuk
  • Virginia
User Info
I add a little water in the carafe and swirl it around to make the grounds pour easier and lay a dish cloth flat over the drain, strain it through the dish cloth and dump the grounds in the trash. Recently I stopped throwing it in the trash and started dumping the grounds into a bucket in the garage with dried leaves and later incorporate into the garden. Its great fertilizer and keeps more of my waste out of the landfill.

2 517
 12-23-2013, 08:36 AM
User Info
I have a strainer in my sink drain that catches them. Alternatively, you can buy a super fine mesh strainer. Can't really do much about the grounds that get stuck to the metal mesh of the press.

9 3,036
 12-23-2013, 10:45 AM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
One other way is to hire a French maid.....BiggrinCool

6 2,022
 12-23-2013, 06:05 PM
User Info
...and i wonder how she will deal with it Lightbulb

7 1,624
 12-24-2013, 10:15 AM
User Info
Thanks for all of the tips.

I love the French Maid idea but my wife still refuses to wear that outfit I bought herBiggrin

I will use a paper towel over the drain to catch the grounds.

Thanks,
Phil

7 363
 12-24-2013, 04:12 PM
  • freddy
  • Banned
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
(12-24-2013, 10:15 AM)PhilNH5 Wrote: Thanks for all of the tips.

I love the French Maid idea but my wife still refuses to wear that outfit I bought herBiggrin

I will use a paper towel over the drain to catch the grounds.

Thanks,
Phil

Phil, never doubt the Mrs. The living room sofa might prove to be awfully uncomfortable. 24

2 11,211
 12-24-2013, 09:06 PM
User Info
When I still used my french press, I would fill it back up with water and just dump it all out with the plants outdoors, as I've heard it's rather beneficial to them.

...sent from mobile device...

37 405
 12-25-2013, 02:23 PM
User Info
I use an Aeropress Biggrin Seriously, I got tired of trying to clean out all the grind bits from the screen.

12 1,247
 03-27-2014, 07:46 AM
User Info
Add a little water to the pot and dump it into a strainer kept by the sink for that purpose (we drink a lot of French press coffee!). Don't throw the grounds in the trash if you have a garden, there are lots of acid-loving plants that are happy to have coffee grounds added to their mulch (blueberries, ferns, azaleas, holly, hydrangea, to name a few). To clean the pot, fill it with hot water and put the plunger thingie back in place and forcefully push it up and down a few times - you'll be surprised at how dirty the water will become. You can add a little baking soda to the water, just rinse well afterward.

0 280
 04-02-2014, 09:13 PM
User Info
Great question Phil. And for those wondering, letting a few grinds slip down the drain does have a price. I was using a French press for only about a month before the glass broke. The coffee tasted much better than my coffee maker, but the cleanup sucked, so I never replaced it. But when I had it, I pretty much did the water swirl thing and then just rinsed out the mesh. I figured, "Hey, I dumped most of the grinds in the garbage, so what is the big deal if a little goes down the drain?" Right? Wrong! Recently, my sink backed up after the cleanup of my wife's wine party--that's a story for another time! Anyway, as I'm cleaning out the pipes, all those old grinds backed up into sink. What a mess. It turns out, the grinds had been settling in a U-bend in the plumbing under the sink. I know, I know, I should've known. But now I know. Biggrin

0 77
 04-03-2014, 11:34 AM
  • Barrylu
  • Portland OR
User Info
(04-02-2014, 09:13 PM)Cirques Wrote: Great question Phil. And for those wondering, letting a few grinds slip down the drain does have a price. I was using a French press for only about a month before the glass broke. The coffee tasted much better than my coffee maker, but the cleanup sucked, so I never replaced it. But when I had it, I pretty much did the water swirl thing and then just rinsed out the mesh. I figured, "Hey, I dumped most of the grinds in the garbage, so what is the big deal if a little goes down the drain?" Right? Wrong! Recently, my sink backed up after the cleanup of my wife's wine party--that's a story for another time! Anyway, as I'm cleaning out the pipes, all those old grinds backed up into sink. What a mess. It turns out, the grinds had been settling in a U-bend in the plumbing under the sink. I know, I know, I should've known. But now I know. Biggrin
The trouble with the grinds in the sink is that they combine with grease and form very dense plugs. That's why I went away from French Press myself.I do enjoy it in a good restaurant or coffee house.

68 1,068
 03-14-2015, 02:53 AM
User Info
I used to fill the press with water and then pour it out in the toilet.  now I just pour it into the disposal and have never had a plumbing issue result

0 33
 03-14-2015, 09:07 AM
  • Barrylu
  • Portland OR
User Info
Eventually the grounds will combine with the grease in the pipe. The resulting clog will be difficult and expensive to remove. It is inevitable.

68 1,068
 11-17-2015, 08:11 AM
User Info
As stated before, many plants like the grounds.
If you have to pour in a sink, choose the one which is also fed by your dishwasher - this should prevent buildup of grease&gunk.

Gesendet von meinem iPad mit Tapatalk

0 155
 11-17-2015, 08:25 AM
  • garyg
  • Great Lakes
User Info
I too like the French Press coffee, but like others have said the clogs aren't fun.  I've solved it using #4 coffee filters that are here anyway for the autodrip machine to strain the grounds out.  Put some water in the press and then run through the filter, then the filled filter goes in the trash just like when using the autodrip.  Filters are easier than plumbers, cheaper too

44 473
 11-17-2015, 09:51 AM
  • kwsher
  • Austin, TX - USA
User Info
I generally dump mine in the trash (sometimes use for plants), then rinse in the sink. I also every once in a while disassemble the press completely and clean (most of mine are Bodum double walled).

I also cold brew coffee which leaves even more grounds and basically follow the same procedure.

2 1,180