12-22-2013, 06:24 PM
User Info
Several of us cook, and may even like to cook, so I thought we could post some of our favourite recipes here for others to try out.

If your recipe is from a published cookbook, please give credit to the author and also don't copy it word for word - just paraphrase it, if you have to.

-----------------

I'll start by copying Johnny's Wife's recipe for cornbread in a cast iron pan. He posted it at my request in a thread on cast iron cookware, but it may have been buried there, so it's reproduced here. I have used it many times and it works like a charm. A lovely, simple recipe.

Cornbread:

Ingredients:

1 cup corn meal
1/2 tsp. salt
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 egg, beaten
2 tablespoons to 1/4 cup sugar
1 cup milk
4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 cup vegetable oil

Preparation Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.

2. Spoon a dollop of vegetable shortening in skillet, and place in oven during preheating time.

3. Combine dry ingredients. Add egg, milk, and oil to dry ingredients, mix well.

4. Remove pan from oven (be careful, it will be very hot) and pour batter into skillet.

5. Bake at 425 degrees F for 20 to 25 minutes, or until golden brown.

37 1,731
 12-23-2013, 11:10 PM
User Info
Most of the cooking I do is niche and so few others do it that it most likely isn't worth posting. Things like 100% fresh ground whole wheat bread... store bought whole wheat won't substitute because it isn't whole wheat, BBQ, homemade pasta, sausage, and such. Most of our food is homemade from the source to our mouths. Who does that anymore but "sprouts" like the wife and I?

But here's one from the Oster blender manual that anyone can make. I recently shared it with a lady friend of ours and in her words, "I found my new everyday pancake". It helps because it's so simple to make.

There is no gluten in these so they break easily when flipped, so go easy.

You make the flour in your blender.

Oatmeal Pancakes

For a different pancake. This makes a thicker pancake.

1 ½ cups flaked oatmeal made into oat flour; settle the oats into the measure (Quaker Oats “Old Fashioned” type is one )
3/4 cup milk or slightly more evaporated milk
1 egg
2 TBL oil
2TBL brown sugar or succanat
1 TBL baking Powder
1/4 tsp salt
Oat flour

Make oat flour by putting them into the blender and “grinding” until it’s flour (highest speed). It only takes a few seconds. Remove from the blender and put ingredients into the blender in the order listed below the asterisks. Cover and “blend” until smooth - just seconds. Allow to stand 5 minutes before using. Cook on griddle.

I like grade B real maple syrup on these and some sort of fried meat, bacon, Taylor Pork Roll, home smoked Spam (yes you read that correctly), something of the sort on the side.

I get my maple syrup locally made, not 10 miles away, less as the crow flies. Unfortunately they don't always have grade B and sometimes I'm forced to buy Grade A which is their intended goal (for sale). Grade B has far more maple flavor if you can find it, but it isn't as pretty. You won't find grade B in the store. Some local producers keep it for themselves and won't share. It needs to be requested.

32 6,308
 12-24-2013, 05:25 AM
User Info
Here's another one of my favourites. It is a Jacques Pepin recipe from his 'More fast food my way' book. This is a book I can highly recommend for busy people, as most of the dishes only take about 30 min to prepare.

------------

Ragout of Broccolini, Beans, sausage and clams.

Ingredients:

2 tablespoons of good olive oil
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 16 oz can of cannellini beans
6 oz hot italian sausage
1 can of chopped clams
1 bunch broccolini - cut into 1 inch pieces
2 tablespoons of chopped garlic
salt
red pepper flakes
grated parmesan

------------

In a large saucepan cook the onions and sausage, while breaking the sausage into small chunks. Add the liquid form the cans of beans and clams to the cooked sausage and onions and bring to a rolling boil.

Add the broccolini and garlic. Season with the pepper flakes and salt to taste. Pepper flakes will release heat slowly, so be careful with them. Cover and boil gently for a few minutes, making sure the broccolini is cooked, but still crunchy.

Add the beans and clams and mix well, and return to the boil. Allow the flavours to blend, and adjust the seasoning again.

Serve with Parmesan, if required.

---------------

Notes:

1) If you can't get your hands on broccolini, you can use broccoli, which will be sweeter. Or you can use broccolini rabe (rapini) with the leaves to make it a bit more bitter.

2) The clams can be increased in proportion, depending on what your preferences are.

3) This is a versatile base recipe, and pretty much any of the main ingredients can be substituted for variation - the beans, the meat, the veggies.

4) It is pretty filling, and is best enjoyed with a glass of wine and some crusty bread.......and good company!

37 1,731
 12-24-2013, 04:00 PM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
This recipe looks right up my street, Yohann, but what kind of sausage? Huh I do not see it listed.

This looks like the type of recipe that I might add chicken tenders and shrimp to the works. Do you think that would work?

Also, how would this be served over pasta?

(12-24-2013, 05:25 AM)yohannrjm Wrote: Here's another one of my favourites. It is a Jacques Pepin recipe from his 'More fast food my way' book. This is a book I can highly recommend for busy people, as most of the dishes only take about 30 min to prepare.

------------

Ragout of Broccolini, Beans, sausage and clams.

Ingredients:

2 tablespoons of good olive oil
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 16 oz can of cannellini beans
1 can of chopped clams
1 bunch broccolini - cut into 1 inch pieces
2 tablespoons of chopped garlic
salt
red pepper flakes
grated parmesan

------------

In a large saucepan cook the onions sausage, while breaking the sausage into small chunks. Add the liquid form the cans of beans and clams to the cooked sausage and onions and bring to a rolling boil.

Add the broccolini and garlic. Season with the pepper flakes and salt to taste. Pepper flakes will release heat slowly, so be careful with them. Cover and boil gently for a few minutes, making sure the broccolini is cooked, but still crunchy.

Add the beans and clams and mix well, and return to the boil. Allow the flavours to blend, and adjust the seasoning again.

Serve with Parmesan, if required.

---------------

Notes:

1) If you can't get your hands on broccolini, you can use broccoli, which will be sweeter. Or you can use broccolini rabe (rapini) with the leaves to make it a bit more bitter.

2) The clams can be increased in proportion, depending on what your preferences are.

3) This is a versatile base recipe, and pretty much any of the main ingredients can be substituted for variation - the beans, the meat, the veggies.

4) It is pretty filling, and is best enjoyed with a glass of wine and some crusty bread.......and good company!

2 11,211
 12-24-2013, 04:54 PM
User Info
Freddy -

Sorry, I forgot to add the sausage to that ingredient list. Blush

It is added now. I use hot Italian sausage, but you can use anything, including breakfast sausage - depending on your tastes.

I've never tried it over pasta, because I don't use much in the way of processed carbs in my diet. However, you certainly could try it. The dish already is pretty substantial, because of the meats and beans, but it is versatile enough to be used in several ways.

37 1,731
 12-24-2013, 05:09 PM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
(12-24-2013, 04:54 PM)yohannrjm Wrote: Freddy -

Sorry, I forgot to add the sausage to that ingredient list. Blush

It is added now. I use hot Italian sausage, but you can use anything, including breakfast sausage - depending on your tastes.

I've never tried it over pasta, because I don't use much in the way of processed carbs in my diet. However, you certainly could try it. The dish already is pretty substantial, because of the meats and beans, but it is versatile enough to be used in several ways.

Oooo, hot Italian sausage! Now you're talking! Biggrin As for good vs. bad carbs, I just like pasta. If it wasn't pasta then it would be brown rice, white rice, couscous, potatoes (but definitely not sweet potatoes... ugh!), quinoa... Smile Thanks, again, for a great recipe. Thumbsup

2 11,211
 12-24-2013, 05:49 PM
  • geezer
  • Menomonie, Western WI
User Info
Here is an inexpensive but great Acorn Squash recipe on line very similar to my method. I love Acorn squash in the winter. I add pre-cooked sausage to it after the oven for the last few minutes of under the broiler roasting.
Baked Acorn Squash
~Richard

8 1,190