12-24-2013, 08:05 AM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
I've been using my Cobra exclusively and as a result I've used a lot of Feather Pro and Kai Mild blades recently. Yesterday's shave commenced a little rough. I usually achieve a more comfortable shave with Kai blades and I assumed I'd selected a Feather blade instead. The blade dragged and jumped across my face, nipping and biting at every opportunity. I shaved my cheeks only and gave up. My face felt raw and it was a luminous red. I felt like I'd shaved with broken glass. I went back to my shave bunker and selected another new blade. I tossed the other, that only had less than half a shave to it. The Feather Pro slid across my face with the touch and grace of ballerina and the shave ended up being a good one. The defunct blade was in fact a Kai and among the first ever dud SE blade I've encountered. Any one else have a bad Feather or Kai blade... ?

91 17,851
 12-24-2013, 08:11 AM
  • Agravic
  • Emeritus
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
I run into 'rogue' Feather Pro blades approximately 1 out of 20, i.e. once per pack.

There's no way to know by visual inspection, however I've learned ... the hard way ... that these blades are readily identified by the quality of the first shave.

If I experience a 'raw' sensation with my first WTG pass ... then the blade goes.

In the past, I would shave with a 'rogue' blade 2 or even 3 times, optimistically hoping that things would improve ... this inevitably resulted in irritated skin that took 2-3 days to heal. Lesson learned!

102 17,670
 12-24-2013, 09:13 AM
  • Deuce
  • Just a guy
  • Cave Creek
User Info
Ravi that is an excellent suggestion for all of us, wether single or DE. I too came upon the fact that you cannot take a blade for granted, and if it is rough out of the gate, just reload! Merry Christmas guys

19 700
 12-24-2013, 11:57 AM
User Info
I also encountered a few when I was using the Cobra, but not many; possibly 1 out of 30, or so.

75 20,883
 12-25-2013, 05:53 AM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Thanks for your input gentlemen, I'd say that is my first out of around 100, so it seems I've been lucky. I always do as Ravi suggested and toss the blade if I suspect it's not up to standard.

91 17,851
 01-02-2014, 07:32 AM
User Info
(12-25-2013, 05:53 AM)ben74 Wrote: Thanks for your input gentlemen, I'd say that is my first out of around 100, so it seems I've been lucky. I always do as Ravi suggested and toss the blade if I suspect it's not up to standard.

Just wondering what is the smoothest blade for the Cobra? I've had incredibly smooth shaves with the cobra, but also some pretty rough ones.

21 459
 01-05-2014, 10:08 AM
User Info
I had no idea there was this issue until I popped a new Feather in my Cobra and the shave was just horrible. It never got better and after the second shave I dumped the blade. I prefer Kai blades but Feather Pros can be had for less and so I have a slew of them. When they are all gone I will probably just stick with Kais. I am not looking forward to my first rogue Feather in an Artist Club.

129 6,685
 01-05-2014, 01:07 PM
User Info
For about a year now I shave almost exclusively with a Feather DX/RG/SS every day, and I usually use a blade for about a week (Feather Pro, Feather Light, or Feather Guard). Every now and then I find a new blade that is not quite "good", but it is not common.

0 89
 01-06-2014, 03:35 PM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
(01-02-2014, 07:32 AM)mixershave Wrote:
(12-25-2013, 05:53 AM)ben74 Wrote: Thanks for your input gentlemen, I'd say that is my first out of around 100, so it seems I've been lucky. I always do as Ravi suggested and toss the blade if I suspect it's not up to standard.

Just wondering what is the smoothest blade for the Cobra? I've had incredibly smooth shaves with the cobra, but also some pretty rough ones.

IMO, the smoothest by far is the Kai Mild.

It is definitely my preferred blade in the Cobra. Not quite as sharp as the Feather Pro, but much more comfortable and forgiving.

91 17,851
 01-06-2014, 04:24 PM
User Info
(01-06-2014, 03:35 PM)ben74 Wrote:

It is definitely my preferred blade in the Cobra. Not quite as sharp as the Feather Pro, but much more comfortable and forgiving.

For me the Kai Mild was smoother than the Feather Pro as well. And on my daily use razor (Feather DX) it is the same - the Kai mild is "milder" - pun intended Biggrin

0 89
 01-06-2014, 04:42 PM
User Info
(01-05-2014, 10:08 AM)wingdo Wrote: I had no idea there was this issue until I popped a new Feather in my Cobra and the shave was just horrible. It never got better and after the second shave I dumped the blade. I prefer Kai blades but Feather Pros can be had for less and so I have a slew of them. When they are all gone I will probably just stick with Kais. I am not looking forward to my first rogue Feather in an Artist Club.

LOL. That would suck.

9 1,199
 01-06-2014, 09:47 PM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
(01-06-2014, 04:42 PM)CyanideMetal Wrote:
(01-05-2014, 10:08 AM)wingdo Wrote: I had no idea there was this issue until I popped a new Feather in my Cobra and the shave was just horrible. It never got better and after the second shave I dumped the blade. I prefer Kai blades but Feather Pros can be had for less and so I have a slew of them. When they are all gone I will probably just stick with Kais. I am not looking forward to my first rogue Feather in an Artist Club.

LOL. That would suck.

I'm pleased Phil (Bullgoose) stocks the Kai Guards too - now there is little need for me to purchase any Feather blades for my Artist Club razors...

91 17,851
 01-07-2014, 04:05 AM
User Info
(01-06-2014, 03:35 PM)ben74 Wrote:

I used the Cobra this morning with a Feather Pro Guard and ABCBA, just the perfect shave. Hard to image it could get any better. I'll try the Kai Titan Mild regular version and the Feather Pro tomorrow. The previous two blades were really rough so I held off on using the Cobra for at least the past month. This razor is simply incredible with the right blades.

21 459
 01-10-2014, 08:36 PM
User Info
I've been testing the Cobra with the Kai Titan Mild, Feather Pro Guard and Feather Professional blades over the past few days. I've also been testing the blades with different shaving soaps and it's apparent that in addition to selecting the right blade for you, you really need a soap with excellent cushion for the Cobra. I used Trumpers Rose cream (tube), Antica Barbieria Colla Bitter Almond soft soap and C&S no.88 hard soap.

I'll say a great shave is one that is both smooth and sharp, and I'm sure your skin sensitivity and beard type plays a major factor. Please note the soaps were face lathered, I didn't break out the scuttle. I found the Trumper's cream and C&S hard soap while proving enough glide, didn't provide enough cushion for the Cobra regardless of the blade. The ABCBA was outstanding and provided the smoothest shaves. I just didn't appreciate how good this soap was until I did this test. The cushion was so good it muted the feedback from the Cobra compared to the Trumpers and C&S.

In terms of the blades, the Kai Mild as suspected was the mildest. While they were smooth, I found myself wanting more sharpness. The Feather Professional even when using ABCBA was too sharp. It's a fine shave, however it really felt like being at the barbers and having a cut throat shave. The Feather Pro Guard blade provided the most satisfying shave, it had the best balance between smoothness and sharpness. When paired with ABCBA, you just have to ask yourself - does it get any better? Smile

21 459
 01-10-2014, 09:07 PM
User Info
Those are some very interesting observations. I had not even contemplated trying that when I had my Cobras.
I wish you continued great shaves. Smile

75 20,883