12-24-2013, 03:11 PM
  • Elendil
  • Raggedy man, good night
  • The snow's back.
User Info
At this time of year, the stewards of the Doctor Who franchise at the BBC give us a special Christmas episode, and this year is no exception. What's more, tomorrow's episode marks the end for Matt Smith, the Eleventh Doctor and the beginning for #12, Peter Capaldi. After delivering a mind blowing 50th Anniversary Special last month, which breathed a wealth of possibilities for new plot lines, I'm looking forward to this.

I've been watching Doctor Who since the early Eighties, and cut my teeth on Jon Pertwee, Tom Baker and Peter Davison. Pertwee remains my favorite, though I have a soft spot for #2, Patrick Troughton. I came late to the new series, watching all 7 seasons in the span of a few months, and I like it a lot. David Tennant has been the best of the three for me.

Who's watching?

0 1,136
 12-24-2013, 03:21 PM
  • Rufus
  • Greater Toronto Area
User Info
I'm currently reading "Doctor Who, The Vault, Treasurers from the First 50 Years". I started watching Dr Who in late 1966, when I relocated to a country that had television. Hard to say which Doctor is my favourite as each has had his own charm, appeal and idiosyncrasies, which make him unique. John Pertwee and Tom Baker immediately spring to mind, but I do find David Tennant very appealing. It's a case of "primus inter pares" in my mind.

5 760
 12-24-2013, 03:37 PM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
By far, David Tennant is my favorite. Matt Smith was so loathsome and lacking of any kind of charisma that I stopped watching. I really like Peter Capaldi as an actor and am hoping to start watching the program again. Unfortunately, I no longer get BBC in America. (Nothing but commercials and endless Top Gear, a truly dreadful program, as far as I am concerned.) I am hoping that I can find the new Dr. Who on Amazon Instant Video or Netflix.

2 11,211
 12-24-2013, 07:21 PM
  • Elendil
  • The snow's back.
User Info
(12-24-2013, 03:21 PM)Rufus Wrote: I'm currently reading "Doctor Who, The Vault, Treasurers from the First 50 Years". I started watching Dr Who in late 1966, when I relocated to a country that had television. Hard to say which Doctor is my favourite as each has had his own charm, appeal and idiosyncrasies, which make him unique. John Pertwee and Tom Baker immediately spring to mind, but I do find David Tennant very appealing. It's a case of "primus inter pares" in my mind.

I saw that book on Amazon, Bryan. How is it?

(12-24-2013, 03:37 PM)freddy Wrote: By far, David Tennant is my favorite. Matt Smith was so loathsome and lacking of any kind of charisma that I stopped watching. I really like Peter Capaldi as an actor and am hoping to start watching the program again. Unfortunately, I no longer get BBC in America. (Nothing but commercials and endless Top Gear, a truly dreadful program, as far as I am concerned.) I am hoping that I can find the new Dr. Who on Amazon Instant Video or Netflix.

Netflix didn't carry season 7 at all, though Amazon did, so I wonder if BBC has an exclusive arrangement with them now. You could always purchase the shows on Amazon, but it seems as if they went "free" about 6 months after broadcast.

0 1,136
 12-25-2013, 08:41 PM
  • Elendil
  • The snow's back.
User Info
What a great episode tonight. It addressed longstanding issues and paradoxes for the entire series, and set Capaldi's Doctor loose on the right foot. Though I am generally not a fan of Matt Smith's Doctor, his finale was great with a wonderful twist.

0 1,136
 12-26-2013, 06:14 AM
  • Rufus
  • Greater Toronto Area
User Info
Bob, I'm really enjoying the book. It delves into the behind the scenes intrigue and politics of launching the series among other things. There are a great many pictures too. Unfortunately, I didn't get to see Matt Smith's last episode, as we were out, but I did record it along with approximately 10 other episodes that were on all Christmas Day. I probably won't be able to watch any of it until late tonight, as we have a group of friends coming over to celebrate Boxing Day and I have to clear the driveway and walkways of the snow that fell last night and so far this morning before they arrive...sigh!'

5 760
 12-26-2013, 03:32 PM
User Info
I started watching this show a couple months ago. I'm somewhere in the middle of season 4, where Donna has been the companion. I just finished the episode where they meet Agatha Christie.

It works really well as a show that I can turn on an episode when I'm feeding the baby.

That being said, I'm hopping out go this thread to avoid spoilers. Smile

10 2,062
 12-26-2013, 05:44 PM
  • Elendil
  • The snow's back.
User Info
(12-26-2013, 06:14 AM)Rufus Wrote: Bob, I'm really enjoying the book. It delves into the behind the scenes intrigue and politics of launching the series among other things. There are a great many pictures too. Unfortunately, I didn't get to see Matt Smith's last episode, as we were out, but I did record it along with approximately 10 other episodes that were on all Christmas Day. I probably won't be able to watch any of it until late tonight, as we have a group of friends coming over to celebrate Boxing Day and I have to clear the driveway and walkways of the snow that fell last night and so far this morning before they arrive...sigh!'

The biggest surprise gift I got yesterday was a small TARDIS whose light switches on. I'm going to see if I can track that book down, Bryan. This is the most I've been into a TV show in about 25 years. I hope you enjoy the 10 that you have queued on the DVR. After the Christmas episode, I rewatched the 50th anniversary show, and picked up a few things I missed the first time around.

(12-26-2013, 03:32 PM)taborcarn Wrote: I started watching this show a couple months ago. I'm somewhere in the middle of season 4, where Donna has been the companion. I just finished the episode where they meet Agatha Christie.

It works really well as a show that I can turn on an episode when I'm feeding the baby.

That being said, I'm hopping out go this thread to avoid spoilers. Smile

I really liked the Agatha Christie ep. Thanks to Netflix and Amazon Prime, not to mention On Demand, it's easy to dip in and out when the desire/need arises, John. With those late night feedings, the need arises a lot! Pop in and post stuff without reading the thread. I'm interested in your opinions.

0 1,136
 12-26-2013, 06:24 PM
  • Rufus
  • Greater Toronto Area
User Info
I receied a TARDIS for Christmas; when you push the button it plays the theme. It's now hanging on my desk lamp along side my Dalek and The Stig.

5 760
 12-27-2013, 05:59 AM
User Info
(12-26-2013, 05:44 PM)Elendil Wrote: I really liked the Agatha Christie ep. Thanks to Netflix and Amazon Prime, not to mention On Demand, it's easy to dip in and out when the desire/need arises, John. With those late night feedings, the need arises a lot! Pop in and post stuff without reading the thread. I'm interested in your opinions.

Will do! I wasn't all that engaged in the beginning of the first season with Eccleston as the Doctor, but as the seasons with Tenant picked up I've been really enjoying them. Especially the big multi-part episodes like Daleks in Manhattan and The Last of the Timelords.

10 2,062
 12-27-2013, 06:44 AM
  • Elendil
  • The snow's back.
User Info
(12-27-2013, 05:59 AM)taborcarn Wrote:
(12-26-2013, 05:44 PM)Elendil Wrote: I really liked the Agatha Christie ep. Thanks to Netflix and Amazon Prime, not to mention On Demand, it's easy to dip in and out when the desire/need arises, John. With those late night feedings, the need arises a lot! Pop in and post stuff without reading the thread. I'm interested in your opinions.

Will do! I wasn't all that engaged in the beginning of the first season with Eccleston as the Doctor, but as the seasons with Tenant picked up I've been really enjoying them. Especially the big multi-part episodes like Daleks in Manhattan and The Last of the Timelords.

Both of those were epic, and you have some really great ones in store for you.

0 1,136
 12-27-2013, 03:47 PM
User Info
I've not yet read this thread as I will not be watching the Christmas special for a couple more nights (it's on my DVR), but the anniversary special with 4 doctors was a wonderful experience. I was not a fan of Dr. Who growing up, but I have been a fan since its rebirth with Christopher Eccilston (sp?). At the moment David Tennant gets my nod as favorite of the modern doctors but only because Christopher was only the doctor for one season. I'd have liked to see a couple more seasons with him.

Again though, the 50th anniversary special / Thanksgiving special .... best single episode I think I have seen.

129 6,685
 12-27-2013, 06:01 PM
  • Elendil
  • The snow's back.
User Info
No Spoilers from me on the Christmas Special, Doug. Suffice it to say that Matt Smith was at his best. My mind is still blown from the 50th anniversary program. The whole Tom Baker thing was a highlight for me.

0 1,136
 12-30-2013, 05:35 AM
User Info
I finished the first River Song episodes (Silence in the Library) over the weekend. I have heard some general spoilers about her role in the series, but I can't wait to see where this goes.

10 2,062
 12-30-2013, 05:05 PM
  • Elendil
  • The snow's back.
User Info
(12-30-2013, 05:35 AM)taborcarn Wrote: I finished the first River Song episodes (Silence in the Library) over the weekend. I have heard some general spoilers about her role in the series, but I can't wait to see where this goes.

The whole River Song arc is fantastic.

0 1,136
 12-30-2013, 06:07 PM
User Info
(12-30-2013, 05:05 PM)Elendil Wrote:
(12-30-2013, 05:35 AM)taborcarn Wrote: I finished the first River Song episodes (Silence in the Library) over the weekend. I have heard some general spoilers about her role in the series, but I can't wait to see where this goes.

The whole River Song arc is fantastic.

Signs011

129 6,685
 12-31-2013, 09:05 PM
  • CRAusmus
  • Going from Texas to Georgia
User Info
I'm fairly new, but love the show.

I really loved Eccleston, but Tennet is really good. Haven't made it to the Smith episodes yet as I don't want to jump ahead and trying to catch up on Netflix when possible.

Is Matt Smith the first Dr. to shoot in America? Just a question that's been nagging me since seeing the documentaries on BBCA...

Did anyone catch An Adventure in Space and Time? I have it on my DVR, but have only caught parts of it so far.

14 1,177
 01-01-2014, 07:14 AM
User Info
Love 'em: [Image: uzu3apeg.jpg]

5 410
 01-02-2014, 04:03 PM
  • Elendil
  • The snow's back.
User Info
I saw Adventure in Space and Time, Clinton, and thought it was really well done. It's hard to believe that modern medicine has made it possible for Bill Hartnell and Peter Capaldi to both be 55 as they started their runs as The Doctor. They could not look more different in their hardiness.

I'm taking a trip to London in a couple of months, and in addition to the obligatory pilgrimage to Harris and Trumpers, I will stop in a Royal Mail Office and see if I can lay my hands on that commemorative Doctor Who postage stamp set.

0 1,136
 01-05-2014, 12:17 PM
User Info
I just saw the last of the Tenant episodes. Poor Doctor, he didn't want to go but he went out all alone. It was very touching.

10 2,062