12-25-2013, 05:18 AM
User Info
[Image: RHCJAYM.jpg]

yesterday i received a book named ’klassisk barbering - med stal mot strupen’ (in english: classic shaving - steel against the throat) - written by mads nordtvedt.

it is a new and splendid little book running about 200 pages - but unfortunately for most of you written in norwegian only. however - because of all its extremely good photos and illustrations on close to 3 out of 4 pages it will be highly interesting for any shave enthusiast - new to the game or seasoned alike - no matter your language.

from the books chapters:

1 return of a forgotten craft
2 history of shaving
3 the beards symbolic power
4 shaving in popular culture
5 old school barbers
6 straight razor development
7 safety razor development
8 about collecting
9 new times - enthusiasts and barbers
10 a stylish beard
11 before shaving
12 get going shaving
13 when travelling
14 what about women?
15 shaving brush
16 a sharp knife
17 razor blades
18 pass it on

there are interviews and reviews with barbers and shopowners and shaving legends - among them lynn abrams - pall mall barbers london - d r harris & co - as well as several norwegians of course.

the chapter named ’a sharp knife’ explains with detailed photos how to take care and maintain your straight razor knives.

the book makes a point to pass your knowledge on - which i wholeheartedly agrees upon. we all benefit from our interests to be alive and kicking. as oscar wilde said: it’s better to be talked about than not talked about at all Biggrin

on last page are mentioned a short list of fora and webshops - among them the shave nook. of course Wink

7 1,625
 12-25-2013, 05:30 AM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
If only I could read Norwegian! Tongue Great to know TSN was mentioned. Biggrin Thank-you for sharing.

91 17,796
 12-25-2013, 06:59 AM
User Info
(12-25-2013, 05:30 AM)ben74 Wrote: If only I could read Norwegian!

it is indeed very enjoyable without reading the text. pm me your address and i'll send you a copy as a late christmas gift sometime in january Smile

7 1,625
 12-25-2013, 12:54 PM
User Info
Excellent news, Marius! I hope you enjoyed reading it! Biggrin

75 20,883
 12-25-2013, 01:47 PM
User Info
have not read all yet my friend. book is mighty good. anything that direct or indirect promotes manual action that coordinates hand & mind is for the better in my opinion. traditional shaving is such a thing and i am glad it is on the uphill in my part of the world. it is of course a paradox that we all need a computer to share our thoughts & questions & knowledge about traditional shaving - but that is the times we live in. had we lived in the stone age and wanted a shave we could have used obsidian. we always have to use what is available there & then. cave vs house. horse vs car. bow+arrow vs gun. same purpose but different items. for me it is just about the same.

7 1,625