12-25-2013, 09:19 AM
User Info
Hi ... I picked up an Aeropress a few days ago and have made several cups.

I was curious to see what timings those experienced use. Also, how the timings change with bean quantity (15 g instead of 30)

This morning I did:

Put in 30 grams moderately fine ground coffee

Poured 195 degree water up to number 4

Stirred for 10 sec

Let sit for 20 more

Gradually pressed down (30 sec until bubbles)

Total 1 min brew time

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

191 1,552
 12-25-2013, 09:30 AM
  • Barrylu
  • Portland OR
User Info
(12-25-2013, 09:19 AM)waveflow Wrote: Hi ... I picked up an Aeropress a few days ago and have made several cups.

I was curious to see what timings those experienced use. Also, how the timings change with bean quantity (15 g instead of 30)

This morning I did:

Put in 30 grams moderately fine ground coffee

Poured 195 degree water up to number 4

Stirred for 10 sec

Let sit for 20 more

Gradually pressed down (30 sec until bubbles)

Total 1 min brew time

Thanks!
How did it taste? That is what counts.

57 917
 12-25-2013, 11:05 AM
  • ojinsa
  • San Antonio
User Info
Wow, 30 grams?!? Do you dilute or add water to your coffee after you pour? I typically use 16-20 grams of coffee using the same brew times as you. I'll occasionally increase the rest time but not often.

27 860
 12-25-2013, 12:15 PM
User Info
(12-25-2013, 09:30 AM)Barrylu Wrote: [
How did it taste? That is what counts.

[/quote]

Thanks - very good point.

Tasted good to me, but I always think I can improve, optimize, and standardize. I think I might play with the grind a bit (making a little finer than what I use for pore over.

(12-25-2013, 11:05 AM)ojinsa Wrote: Wow, 30 grams?!? Do you dilute or add water to your coffee after you pour? I typically use 16-20 grams of coffee using the same brew times as you. I'll occasionally increase the rest time but not often.

I do add a little bit of hot water at the end, but do like straight espresso / prefer very strong coffee.

With the practice cups I've been making I have noticed a marked increase in energy :big grin:

If I want a more mild cup I will fall back to the 16-20 g

Thanks!

191 1,552
 12-25-2013, 03:51 PM
User Info
I just finished some research and 5 more brews (just cupped / tasted … didn't drink) and found some good info on recipes here:

http://brewmethods.com

&

http://worldaeropresschampionship.com/20...c-recipes/

I ended up making the grind a bit coarser, dropped down to 17-18g (thanks ojinsa!), and took more time.

My best cup so far is roughly based on the first place recipe (minus the cocktail pitcher).

I'm super excited to experiment with this … next step will be trying inverted.

191 1,552
 12-25-2013, 04:01 PM
  • ojinsa
  • San Antonio
User Info
(12-25-2013, 03:51 PM)waveflow Wrote: I just finished some research and 5 more brews (just cupped / tasted … didn't drink) and found some good info on recipes here:

&

I ended up making the grind a bit coarser, dropped down to 17-18g (thanks ojinsa!), and took more time.

My best cup so far is roughly based on the first place recipe (minus the cocktail pitcher).

I like where you're headed...btw, inverted is the only way to brew with the aeropress. Easier and cleaner.

27 860
 12-25-2013, 07:59 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
(12-25-2013, 04:01 PM)ojinsa Wrote:
(12-25-2013, 03:51 PM)waveflow Wrote: I just finished some research and 5 more brews (just cupped / tasted … didn't drink) and found some good info on recipes here:

&

I like where you're headed...btw, inverted is the only way to brew with the aeropress. Easier and cleaner.

Any links on how to brew it inverted?

45 16,353
 12-25-2013, 08:16 PM
User Info
Here you go Phil...

That video will let you see just how creative you can get but also give you a good visual on the inverted method. I don't use a secondary filter at all.

Here's a very nice pictorial breakdown of the inverted method...

http://stumptowncoffee.com/brew-guides/aeropress/

31 7,914
 12-25-2013, 08:47 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
User Info
Thank you Brian. I will have to give this a try.

45 16,353
 12-25-2013, 08:53 PM
User Info
Cool Brian … this also

191 1,552
 12-25-2013, 09:09 PM
  • ojinsa
  • San Antonio
User Info
One more for you Phil. Quick and descriptive:

27 860
 12-25-2013, 09:27 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
User Info
Thank you Oscar -That looks easy enough. Biggrin

45 16,353
 12-25-2013, 09:44 PM
  • ojinsa
  • San Antonio
User Info
(12-25-2013, 09:27 PM)bullgoose Wrote: Thank you Oscar -That looks easy enough. Biggrin

You're quite welcome! I agree, it is easy enough. I'm just glad someone took the time to figure it out and document it.

27 860
 12-26-2013, 04:43 AM
User Info
The best part about the AeroPress is how easy it is to modify things to suit your own tastes. I started with following these "recipes" and then would play around with things like amount of coffee, brew time, temperature and such. Now I have it down pretty much to how I like it. It basically is use a bit more coffee grounds but decrease the brew time in order to have the smoothest and most flavorful cup to suit my taste. Start with the above video tips Phil and the have fun tweaking things and finding what you like best. I prefer the inverted method because I don't loose any coffee immediately. I have better control over when I want the water coming through the filter.

Enjoy & have fun.

31 7,914
 12-26-2013, 11:22 AM
User Info
I found the Aeropress through this thread, and simply love mine. I never would have thought inverted but will give that a go. By far the best cups of coffee I have ever had at home. I do tend to make a Latte so I use a good amount of coffee and a smaller amount of water. Best $25 investment in coffee I've ever made.

129 6,685
 12-26-2013, 11:29 AM
User Info
I tried inverted this morning and was quite pleased. As I continue to refine I will go this route for sure (no bleed during bloom is huge!)

Ready to make another cup!

191 1,552
 12-26-2013, 01:38 PM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
(12-25-2013, 09:09 PM)ojinsa Wrote: One more for you Phil. Quick and descriptive:

http://youtu.be/XXWH7wcexiY

Oscar, that is the best You Tube video I have seen on the inverted method.

I do have a question, though, to Brian, you, and others who have used the inverted method. Is the difference in the taste of the coffee that great?

Brian, I realize you tweaked things to suit your taste and I have done that with the regular method. However, keeping all else the same, does the inverted method offer a tastier brew?

2 11,211
 12-26-2013, 05:57 PM
User Info
Freddy, I typically make an Americano so I can fill up my big coffee mug that I love to use. Therefore I don't like losing poorly brewed coffee as soon as the water is introduced which happens in the standard presentation. I want my coffee to be as concentrated as possible without any bitterness before I dilute with water at a proper temperature. So to me it does taste better and I get the most out of each granule of coffee. This is another reason why I prefer the finest grind I can get as that increases the surface area of the coffee allowing better extraction. You have to be careful with this as it is easy to overbrew and get a bitter cup.

31 7,914
 12-26-2013, 06:28 PM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
(12-26-2013, 05:57 PM)SharpSpine Wrote: Freddy, I typically make an Americano so I can fill up my big coffee mug that I love to use. Therefore I don't like losing poorly brewed coffee as soon as the water is introduced which happens in the standard presentation. I want my coffee to be as concentrated as possible without any bitterness before I dilute with water at a proper temperature. So to me it does taste better and I get the most out of each granule of coffee. This is another reason why I prefer the finest grind I can get as that increases the surface area of the coffee allowing better extraction. You have to be careful with this as it is easy to overbrew and get a bitter cup.

Thanks, Brian. The next time I use my AeroPress I just may give the inverted method a try. When I go out for coffee, it is usually a double Americano in a short cup (small-12oz.) so it might make sense to invert.

2 11,211
 12-26-2013, 06:47 PM
User Info
(12-26-2013, 05:57 PM)SharpSpine Wrote: Freddy, I typically make an Americano so I can fill up my big coffee mug that I love to use. Therefore I don't like losing poorly brewed coffee as soon as the water is introduced which happens in the standard presentation. I want my coffee to be as concentrated as possible without any bitterness before I dilute with water at a proper temperature. So to me it does taste better and I get the most out of each granule of coffee. This is another reason why I prefer the finest grind I can get as that increases the surface area of the coffee allowing better extraction. You have to be careful with this as it is easy to overbrew and get a bitter cup.

I have tried the finest grind at my local java shop. it is the only place where it is so fine it prevents my aeropress fro. operating. it is nothing more than powder. One step up from their finest works for me and it is still finer than what Starbucks can possibly grind.

The Aeropress has totally changed my coffee habits at home as while I liked my French Press just fine the murky muck near the end of the pour was never pleasant.

129 6,685