12-25-2013, 11:45 AM
  • Andrew
  • Austin, TX
User Info
Just throwing it out there - if anyone has a bottle of some English Fern AS (used or not) they'd like to sell, please let me know.

Andrew

43 1,690
 12-26-2013, 10:48 AM
User Info
(12-25-2013, 11:45 AM)Andrew Wrote: Just throwing it out there - if anyone has a bottle of some English Fern AS (used or not) they'd like to sell, please let me know.

Andrew

Andrew, Have you smelled the AS / EdT? After getting some Pen's English Fern Tallow soap, I drove over the Merz Apocathery to test out the EF Spray. To my nose it smelled NOTHING at all like the soap. It was a very grassy scent, one which I did not care for whatsoever.

129 6,685
 12-26-2013, 12:55 PM
  • Andrew
  • Austin, TX
User Info
Hi Doug,

I agree with you. The scent of the EdT is different from the soap. I, too, have had the chance to take a whiff of it at Merz. Great place! Thanks for the heads up. In spite of the difference in scent, I'm quite keen on finding some of the AS.

Cheers,

43 1,690
 12-26-2013, 01:24 PM
User Info
(12-26-2013, 12:55 PM)Andrew Wrote: Hi Doug,

I agree with you. The scent of the EdT is different from the soap. I, too, have had the chance to take a whiff of it at Merz. Great place! Thanks for the heads up. In spite of the difference in scent, I'm quite keen on finding some of the AS.

Cheers,

So you made it up this way at least once, so glad you got to check out Merz. Hopefully you checked out the original store up in Lincoln Square as opposed to the one in the Palmer House Hilton downtown. The original is quite something to experience. So narrow, it's amazing the have never enlarged.

I just wanted to make sure you knew it smelled different than the soap and by a large margin. I actually ended up paring their Vetiver cologne with the Fern.

129 6,685
 12-26-2013, 02:37 PM
  • Andrew
  • Austin, TX
User Info
Interesting about the Vetiver pairing well. I'll have to check that one out. I prefer to wear my scents as aftershaves, but might have to reconsider this one.

Unfortunately, I was only able to visit the downtown location. I'll have to check out the other shop next time. I also enjoyed shopping at the Truefitt & Hill store on Michigan Ave but understand that has changed names since my visit.

Andrew

43 1,690
 12-26-2013, 02:43 PM
User Info
(12-26-2013, 02:37 PM)Andrew Wrote: Unfortunately, I was only able to visit the downtown location. I'll have to check out the other shop next time. I also enjoyed shopping at the Truefitt & Hill store on Michigan Ave but understand that has changed names since my visit.

I hadn't been there in a while. I just looked online as to what is there now, and man this is a place I will have to visit. http://merchantandrhoades.com/ looks like a place I can get lost in.

BTW, I am with you on the pairing of scents between the soap and AS / Cologne, or EdT. Hence my sever disappointment in the smell of Pen's EF Cologne. I would love the soap scent as the scent of the Cologne. I have no clue why they are so different. The soap is divine. If you easily have the ability to try the Vetiver give it a go, if not shoot me a PM, I may have some of my original sample left I can shoot your way to try.

129 6,685