12-25-2013, 07:13 PM
User Info
Ok I know I haven't been doing this for as long as some of you and I know I may have jumped into it with both feet different but getting more razors and different blades didn't seem strange to me. Checking out different soaps and creams doesn't seem strange or extreme. But making five passes because I am looking for that perfect shave is beginning to smack of obsessive. When I used a Quatro or a Electric a shave only had to feel "close enough" that it looked like a shaved. Now I find myself listening as I shave for any sound like a beard may still be giving resistance to my razor. And if it does I lather up again and work on a ATG until I can't hear, feel or see and stubble. I will check my face for an hour or so to see if I missed a spot and if I did will work just as hard the next morning day to make sure that particular area is taken care of the next time.

It seems like I am in constant search of the perfect baby bottom feeling shave.Huh

0 9
 12-25-2013, 07:16 PM
User Info
I don't think you will be able to continue this for long without irritation, though! I surely know I couldn't do that.
Good luck to you and you can be very happy with a DFS shave, in my opinion! Biggrin

75 20,883
 12-25-2013, 07:29 PM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
STOP! A five pass shave will, ultimately, not be good for your skin. As Celestino stated, a two or three pass shave will still leave you better off than a multi-blade or electric shave will. Not every shave has to be BBS and you will still be presentable throughout the day. Do your face a favor and lighten up on the number of passes while still continuing to get a great feeling shave. Winky

2 11,211
 12-25-2013, 07:49 PM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
Two passes is most likely enough sir. Do not go over three passes. If you continue to look for a BBS every shave you will end up with irritation. There is nothing wrong with a DFS and zero irritation day in and day out. I do one pass with the grain and one across and get great shaves.

45 3,955
 12-25-2013, 07:58 PM
  • Agravic
  • Emeritus
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
(12-25-2013, 07:49 PM)tgutc Wrote: Two passes is most likely enough sir. Do not go over three passes. If you continue to look for a BBS every shave you will end up with irritation. There is nothing wrong with a DFS and zero irritation day in and day out. I do one pass with the grain and one across and get great shaves.

Exactly.

I've learned that the 'law of diminishing yields' applies with any more than 2 or 3 passes.
With time, improvement of technique allows for DFS and perhaps near-BBS with minimal irritation ... with 2 passes.
Consistently aiming for BBS is not wise, considering the resultant skin irritation that will occur.

Good luck. Smile

102 17,668
 12-25-2013, 07:58 PM
User Info
Even I with very coarse and dark hair am happy with a DFS. I usually do 3 with touch ups and would never exceed that. However, YMMV if you don't get irritation and are not bothered by it. As long as you and your skin are happy! Smile

75 20,883
 12-25-2013, 07:59 PM
  • tave
  • Mr whiskers
  • baltimore
User Info
Now that's a wise shaver! That's why they call me "two pass".

0 76
 12-25-2013, 08:46 PM
User Info
I did what you did and over did the passes. I got razor burn, then razor rash, then discoid eczema and painful shaving.

Now I do 2 passes with touchup and no ATG passes except on the neck.

21 1,475
 12-25-2013, 11:52 PM
User Info
For me the major improvements over cartridges and electrics is the irritation free shave - so for me it's two passes and touchups for a DFS bordering on a BBS; but even a SAS will do Wink

3 3,574
 12-26-2013, 01:25 AM
User Info
two passes wtg for me. usually no touch up. initially i cold shaved but changed that lately and get much better shaves simply because my soaps prefer warm water to give good glide. a smooth glide let me use longer strokes that leads to much less overlapping: too much overlapping will quickly count as several strokes.

i was absolutely convinced i had mapped my beard perfectly - but since there are very few absolutes in shaving it turned out my mapping was less than stellar on several crucial areas. i did it all over again with fresh eyes as if i never had done it before. fruitful results!

my last great discovery was how to close shave my lower part of neck without any kind of irritation. this was perhaps my biggest eureka shaving moment to date: i simple gave up on all kinds of stretching skin in this area and instead did the opposite. i wonder why it took me such a long time to find out.

i also use a longer time to face lather than before.

improving a handful things that each seems small and almost insignificant can together yield large positive results.

7 1,625
 12-26-2013, 03:02 AM
User Info
Well I do 3-4 passes everyday without any issues (although I am an ice-water shaver). I do give my neck a rest every other day though by not doing a ATG pass.

But yes, it does become a bit obsessive, I also critique my shaves and make mental notes about where I can improve on tomorrow's shave.

47 1,112
 12-26-2013, 04:17 AM
  • Elendil
  • Raggedy man, good night
  • The snow's back.
User Info
There is something about the way a completely smooth BBS face feels that can make you keep going when you should have stopped awhile ago. I agree with what everyone else has suggested....3 passes should be plenty, and any more is a recipe for ingrowns and irritation.

0 1,136
 12-26-2013, 04:35 AM
  • Deuce
  • Just a guy
  • Cave Creek
User Info
I'm with Marius in this camp, more time face lathering and a few passes. After trying all forms of shaving adjustments, I started to narrow things down a bit. That's part of our process of discovery, right? Various pass techniques, mapping, open comb vs closed comb, adjustables, etc. That has been the beautiful part for me-the journey.

Today my shaves are fantastic compared to 1-2 years ago, no question about it. And I fully believe that my shaving can still evolve a bit more. Reading the posts here taught me to let the razor shave and not press down on it-where else would I have picked that up? So thank you guys for the forum here and the sharing of your knowledge.

19 700
 12-26-2013, 08:25 AM
User Info
Thanks friends. I guess I simply didn't think the process out completely. I can get a close shave it two or three passes but I kept finding spots where I seemed to miss when I was washing my face with cold water. I will work on technique rather the passes for my shave.Smile

0 9
 12-31-2013, 09:59 PM
User Info
Yup, precisely what Marius wrote. It's technique not more passes IMO. Proper face mapping is a huge key.

Maybe some faces have so many directions the hair grows from that 2-3 passes won't work? I don't know since I only have my face. I'm just speculating.

32 6,309
 01-01-2014, 01:54 AM
User Info
Hi my name is Keith and I'm OCD.

Four pass shaver, WTG, XTG, XTG, ATG. I can't get BBS without this progression no matter how fine my technique. If my technique is good no irritation, no nicks, no cuts.

I can get DFS in three passes but why? One more and I'm BBS. If feel any irritation after three passes I stop.

All of our beards and skins are different. At first I envied people who could get a 2 pass BBS now I am glad I can extend my zen time in the morning.

22 222
 01-01-2014, 05:46 AM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Only 2 passes for me.
First: WTG
Second: ATG
And at most a touch up here or there...

I'd much prefer to sacrifice closeness in lieu of irritation.

91 17,848
 01-01-2014, 06:59 AM
User Info
I always go for the final XTG. Like the smooth feel.

5 410
 01-01-2014, 10:02 AM
  • Teddyboy
  • Guilty, with an explanation
  • NYC
User Info
(12-25-2013, 07:13 PM)Mobile 155 Wrote: Ok I know I haven't been doing this for as long as some of you and I know I may have jumped into it with both feet different but getting more razors and different blades didn't seem strange to me. Checking out different soaps and creams doesn't seem strange or extreme. But making five passes because I am looking for that perfect shave is beginning to smack of obsessive. When I used a Quatro or a Electric a shave only had to feel "close enough" that it looked like a shaved. Now I find myself listening as I shave for any sound like a beard may still be giving resistance to my razor. And if it does I lather up again and work on a ATG until I can't hear, feel or see and stubble. I will check my face for an hour or so to see if I missed a spot and if I did will work just as hard the next morning day to make sure that particular area is taken care of the next time.

It seems like I am in constant search of the perfect baby bottom feeling shave.Huh

You definitely need to chill. A two-pass shave is all anyone really needs. Any extra stubble removed with a(n) additional pass(es)is minute compared to that in the first two passes. Perhaps >2 passes would give you an additional ~1 hour of a somewhat cleaner visage -- but so friggin' what?

1 744
 01-01-2014, 10:26 AM
  • GMofmiami
  • Miami, Fl & Central America
User Info
(01-01-2014, 05:46 AM)ben74 Wrote: Only 2 passes for me.
First: WTG
Second: ATG
And at most a touch up here or there...

I'd much prefer to sacrifice closeness in lieu of irritation.

+1 Signs011

45 708