12-26-2013, 07:48 AM
  • tsimmns
  • Mississippi
User Info
So I have been hearing that soaps with this ingredient lathers well in hard water areas. I'm curious to see if anyone has a list with soaps that contain glycerin. I am sure I have never tried a glycerin based soap and would love to see how it lathers compared to some of my other soaps. This is the list of soaps I have read contain glycerin. Maybe some of you other more experienced shavers will chime in.

Vdh
Col. Conk
Mama Bears
L'Occitane Cade
AOS - not sure if it's the old soap or the new P&G soap

15 970
 12-26-2013, 08:16 AM
User Info
Glycerin soap base + kaolin clay = pretty darn good soap. I've been experimenting with soaps and they actually came out pretty good. Smells funny without a scent, but performs great.

9 2,988
 12-26-2013, 09:31 AM
  • tsimmns
  • Mississippi
User Info
Lee I hear of people adding some glycerin drops to soap, but I have yet to try it. Might have to after the glycerin reading I have been doing. I wonder though where to buy this stuff, Walgreens, CVS?

15 970
 12-26-2013, 10:07 AM
User Info
Walgreens, CVS, Wal*Mart and Meijers all carry it.

0 16
 12-26-2013, 11:21 AM
User Info
This may sound strange, and maybe it works because of my extremely soft water. Clearly Natural right out of the market, yes the facial soap, lathers decently. It's about as involved in "soap making" as I want to get at this point and it's exactly my speed... just melt it down, add scent, in my case my BR base or menthol, let it harden and almost instant shave soap with the scent of my choice.

Last I know Wal-Mart had VdH, and some supermarkets, our Hannaford has it. It's not bad and it makes a really nice ultralather and does so extremely easily.

32 6,311
 12-26-2013, 01:41 PM
User Info
hugo's naturals handcrafted soaps are reputed to lather well; have only tried the shea butter & oatmeal with good results.

1 26
 12-26-2013, 01:49 PM
User Info
I love the Col Conk soaps. Just picked up a four pack off of Amazon. We have soft water here though. Lathers up great with ease.

0 22
 12-26-2013, 08:03 PM
  • Sanch
  • Tennessee
User Info
I liked the performance of my good old VDH but the smell just wasn't up to par so I melted them tonight and made a Bay Rum scented soap out of it I also added a couple of ml of distilled water and a couple ml of veg glycerin to the two "new" soaps the other fragrance I added was OS Wolfthorn as SWMBO loves that scent on me. as soon as they set up I will test them. I also made a small Bay rum shave stick out of a 97 cent travel size deodorant stick container just to see how it works out!

2 253
 12-26-2013, 08:14 PM
User Info
I avoid glycerin based soaps. Every one I've tried in my very hard water does nothing without loading about half a puck per shave. Even then the later is very unstable. Adding glycerin drops to a soap is very different to a glycerin melt & pour base. YMMV and all that jazz!

31 7,914
 12-26-2013, 10:03 PM
  • Sanch
  • Tennessee
User Info
ok so here's my report on the Van Der "Wolfthorn" I just lathered it up process: wet soap with approx. 1tsp of warm water 2 min soak. soaked brush (boar VDH) 2min soak, loaded brush for 45 seconds, bowl lathered poured water from top of soap into lather bowl and went to town the lather started thin and weak but turned into a cake batter love! the smell of the Wolfthorn was stronger than the unpleasant VDH. the shave was great very slick...here's a pic of the lather. so glycerin soap is back in my rotation! still need to test the Vander Bay Rum Hagen...

[Image: 20131226_232438_zpsaquyas1z.jpg]

2 253
 12-26-2013, 11:08 PM
  • Teddyboy
  • Guilty, with an explanation
  • NYC
User Info
(12-26-2013, 08:16 AM)asharperrazor Wrote: Glycerin soap base + kaolin clay = pretty darn good soap. I've been experimenting with soaps and they actually came out pretty good. Smells funny without a scent, but performs great.

Hey, ain't that one of them thar contradiction in terms that I've been hearing about?Biggrin

1 745
 12-29-2013, 08:07 AM
  • njpaddy
  • Central New Jersey
User Info
I'm on well water and the Straight Razor Design glycerin soaps lather and perform very well for me. Ogallala soaps are up there too, although Harris is still my #1 soap. I found Conk and VDH awful performers and both were tossed after a couple of shaves.

0 204
 12-29-2013, 03:00 PM
  • Elendil
  • Raggedy man, good night
  • The snow's back.
User Info
Some of the best smelling soaps I've used, particularly Mama Bear and QED, are glycerin based.

0 1,136
 12-30-2013, 06:25 AM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
I've never been a big fan of glycerin based soaps...

Glad to know they are working well for others though! Biggrin

91 17,875
 12-30-2013, 07:01 AM
User Info
I've used Mama Bear's soaps a handful of times and have gotten pretty good results from them. The Dublin Tweed and Ye Old Barbershoppe are great scents.

10 2,062
 12-30-2013, 04:36 PM
User Info
You can buy bulk glycerin soap base at any craft store like Michaels. There are glycerin shave soap bases that seem to perform better than just straight glycerin bases. I do not like glycerin (melt and pour) for shaving as they tend to tingle/burn my face. I have tried a couple of the different shave soap bases and they both lathered well and the shave was good, outside of the tingling. For that reason, I do not use melt and pour shave soaps, although they are great for some people.

1 184
 01-20-2014, 10:19 PM
User Info
Used Conk today. Worked wonderfully.

Omega boar. About 30 seconds of loading. And few minutes of building. I haven't tested my water but it seems relatively soft.
[Image: emajanut.jpg]

0 30
 01-21-2014, 06:50 AM
  • Songwind
  • Soap Slinger & Scuttle Pusher
  • Burnsville, MN
User Info
All soap contains glycerin, unless it's been specifically removed. (Glycerin is one of the products of saponification.) So if you're just looking for the presence of glycerin, that's pretty straightforward.

Some soaps have a lot of added glycerin, and are further treated with alcohol and some other stuff to give them that glossy, translucent look.

Personally, I did not find glycerin-heavy soaps like the ones you listed in the original post to be particularly easy to lather in my water when the softener wasn't charged. I used Conk, VdH, and Mama Bear's soaps. They weren't particularly hard to lather, either.

10 1,858
 01-21-2014, 06:55 AM
User Info
(12-30-2013, 06:25 AM)ben74 Wrote: I've never been a big fan of glycerin based soaps...

Glad to know they are working well for others though! Biggrin

Signs011

2 5,532
 01-21-2014, 07:27 PM
  • Elendil
  • Raggedy man, good night
  • The snow's back.
User Info
I just picked up three shave sticks from QED, including Bathtub Gin and Rosie. They have phenomenal scents. Charles has few rivals when it comes to developing fairly sophisticated scents.

0 1,136