12-26-2013, 11:20 AM
User Info
I spotted this product on Pinterest and thought it was a gag. Then I clicked through and found that it's a product for those with limited dexterity. Not sure how well it would actually work, but thought I'd share it just in case it would help someone.

[Image: 550259.jpg]

0 57
 12-26-2013, 02:37 PM
User Info
I obviously am not a cartridge razor guy, but if someone has such limiting disabilities, this does not seem like that good of an idea.

Loading the blade without slicing a finger would be difficult. And again while I am not a cartridge fan, there are some large handled cartridge razors out there which can give a decent shave with a single pass, as opposed to needing 2 or 3 passes with that DE shown.

129 6,685
 12-26-2013, 03:50 PM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
That razor looks like a tto. Merkur makes a 3 piece razor with a fat aluminum handle for people who have trouble holding a razor. Thanks for sharing.

100 12,450
 12-26-2013, 07:22 PM
  • geezer
  • Menomonie, Western WI
User Info
I would Suggest stopping by the large or Home depot type place, a Fleet or Farm store and going to plumbing area. Find "O" ring seals of a inner diameter slightly less than the bar and having a large cross section which will be like rubber bands around the handle and will not slip. Stretch one or more onto the bar.They could easily make a 3/8ths" bar to almost 5/8ths" with 1/8th" cross section "O" ring... Bigger bar? get larger sized o-ring.
Buy them tight! And, for us geezers with shaky hands..a couple at the top of the handle reduces slipping and rotating.
~Richard
PS, they work nice for a noisy brush in a mug. Have to be silicone sealered to the brush to do so. Or...make a groove with a file carefully around the brush near the knot and then stretch one on.
Also, They can be slipped over the handle of a too long brush knot and slid down over the knot to shorten the exposure. More sanitary than a thread or string wrap. Make sure the inner diameter is less than the diameter of the knot at the brush end.

Just thought..a farm store has castrating bands that would do a good job and super cheap:
Bands and rings

8 1,190
 12-27-2013, 02:21 PM
User Info
Any modification that will help those who have a difficult time with anything is a plus. I'm glad to see this, thanks for sharing.

0 100
 12-27-2013, 04:23 PM
User Info
(12-27-2013, 02:21 PM)Kerrplunk Wrote: Any modification that will help those who have a difficult time with anything is a plus.

+1

75 20,884
 12-28-2013, 09:13 AM
User Info
(12-27-2013, 04:23 PM)celestino Wrote:
(12-27-2013, 02:21 PM)Kerrplunk Wrote: Any modification that will help those who have a difficult time with anything is a plus.

+1

Having a close family member with cerebral palsy, I know how difficult simple tasks can be. Anything that makes those tasks even a little bit easier makes a big difference.

0 57
 12-29-2013, 12:33 AM
User Info
There is a word in Norwegian that explains why things like a easy-grip handle for your razor is a wonderful thing for some; 'mestringsfølelese' - I've found no good word for it in English, but it should translate to something along the line of 'sense of achievement / empowerment / accomplishment'.

When my grandpa got old - not just in body but in spirit - it was important for him to still be able to do some of the basic things himself; things like cutting bread, checking his mailbox (even if we had to come by once a week to make sure all his bills got paid), and - relevant to this forum - shaving. And while his solution was an electric, I can see how a handle like this would have let him continue to use a razor (even if his previous weapon of choice was a cart).

I'm ranting a bit, but I guess i wanted to say I'm glad things like this is out there - to help people master their lives on their own. I'll probably want one when I grow old and my joints disagree with me...

3 3,580
 12-29-2013, 01:37 AM
User Info
I have Ra in both hand's and find it very difficult to hold things not very dextrous with my finger's.

Having had Joint replacements in both hands /Knees & ankle's. I do have quite a few different DE razors, that I quite like to use.

The solution my problem i.e. razor slipping……. is I coat my hands with an Alum block prior to shave. Hope this helps.

Charles U.K

0 2,340
 12-29-2013, 07:05 AM
User Info
While it doesn't build up the handle what worked for me on very polished handles was 'electrical shrink wrap'. Comes in various sizes. Easy to slide on and 'shrink' to fit with very low heat. Easy to remove with out damage to the razor.
Also if you want to go SE there's alway the great to hold:[Image: habahu8u.jpg][Image: qepejaqu.jpg]

5 410
 01-02-2014, 12:53 PM
User Info
Whatmorebrushes, I have psoriatic arthritis, a kissing cousin to RA if you will. When suffering from a flare and unable to use a straight, I have found that the newer, bulldog handles with the increased girth and grip to be pretty comfortable. For TTOs I go with the 32 Aristocrat or 50's Executive (similar to a British 66 I believe).

17 141
 01-02-2014, 06:23 PM
  • Blue line
  • East Central Alabama
User Info
Good idea. When both my wrists were broke and afterwards, this do-dad would have helped immensely.

2 334
 01-06-2014, 12:27 PM
  • Crag
  • Menifee, Ca 92586
User Info
When I first injured my right hand I thought DE shaving was done for, but I eventually approached Merkur and they made me a variation of their blue Chunky handled 180 razor. I had originally approached an all-stainless razor mfr popular on the boards, but they would not sell just a handle even though I offered to pay handsomely, so I moved on.

Merkur asked for my glove size and hand tracing and then made the handle longer and fatter, and it worked just fine while my hand recuperated...luckily my injuries were limited to soft tissue, no tendons or bones were affected...I do have some lingering nerve damage, but am improving daily.

I tried a handled razor from a Durable Medical Equipment dealer, but the handle was ridiculously heavy as I'd imagine this one to be...the handle looked more like it came off a childs bike than anything...The handle was well over 170g alone...imagine trying to get a good shave with THAT thing strapped to your razor...I couldn't do it and cut myself a few times trying...angles were especially hard to achieve as the symetry just was not there...not to mention that it was EXPENSIVE at over $200 JUST for the handle!

A friend made a handle out of Aluminum fashioned as brass knuckles that worked fairly well, but was ultimately too heavy and awkward, plus it was painful putting it on and taking it off.

The Merkur handle was the best for my type of hand injury as i could not easily grip things.

Now, the BEST handle for me is a Gen 1 Tradere handle. Second would be a Griest Handle and third is the iKon Wave...

68 1,417
 01-06-2014, 01:35 PM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
I had Bob from BRW make me an all aluminium copy of the "chunky" and a wooden variation which was a bit too long so I cut it down and it really is quite cool....may he RIP..he was a true artist!!!!!

6 1,913