12-27-2013, 04:58 AM
User Info
After being told that I couldn't post a thread about a shaving sabbatical for 2014 I've decided to leave the site for good, I will be taking part in my own sabbatical and will use only one carefully selected setup for the whole of 2014. I'm not being dictated to by mods saying we can't post threads and encourage people to take place in sabbaticals.

razor pre war english tech
blade permasharp super
soap palmolive shave stick
brush muhle silvertip fiber v2 21mm
Wink

0 199
 12-27-2013, 05:38 AM
  • Agravic
  • Emeritus
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
'While we respect the choices made by individuals in terms of their purchasing habits and acquisitions, we don’t feel that it is necessarily appropriate for individuals to rally others in the cause of ‘restraints’ or ‘sabbaticals’. In other words, at this time TSN does not wish to be an arena for group causes involving ‘restraint’ or ‘abstinence’ from experiencing new products related to wet shaving.'

http://shavenook.com/thread-tsn-and-rest...abbaticals

The intent of TSN is not to stifle individual choices and pursuits.

Good luck in your journey.

102 17,671
 12-27-2013, 12:31 PM
User Info
Well, enjoy your journey and best of luck to you.

75 20,883
 12-27-2013, 01:14 PM
  • Deco
  • シングルエッジ
  • Rocky Mountains
User Info
 12-27-2013, 01:55 PM
  • Teddyboy
  • Guilty, with an explanation
  • NYC
User Info
I love TSN and I am not, in any manner, for restraint and sabbaticals. Regulating my obsession/hobby is my responsibility alone and no others'. However I must say that I feel uneasy about a policy that prohibits such proposals from being expressed.

Just my $0.02.

1 745
 12-27-2013, 02:00 PM
  • Agravic
  • Emeritus
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
(12-27-2013, 01:55 PM)Teddyboy Wrote: I love TSN and I am not, in any manner, for restraint and sabbaticals. Regulating my obsession/hobby is my responsibility alone and no others'. However I must say that I feel uneasy about a policy that prohibits such proposals from being expressed.

Just my $0.02.

If an individual expresses their personal interests and endeavors, that's fine ... I don't believe that any TSN policy or rule prohibits such communications.
Calls for group activity or rallying others to join a cause is another thing altogether.
There will be some who are disappointed with this stance, but we feel it's reasonable.

102 17,671
 12-27-2013, 03:50 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
(12-27-2013, 04:58 AM)stanthony Wrote: After being told that I couldn't post a thread about a shaving sabbatical for 2014 I've decided to leave the site for good, I will be taking part in my own sabbatical and will use only one carefully selected setup for the whole of 2014. I'm not being dictated to by mods saying we can't post threads and encourage people to take place in sabbaticals.

razor pre war english tech
blade permasharp super
soap palmolive shave stick
brush muhle silvertip fiber v2 21mm
Wink

That is your choice. Have a nice day.

173 23,553
 12-28-2013, 03:58 AM
  • davizera
  • Non Dvcor Dvco
  • São Paulo - Brazil
User Info
I don't understand why a person would create a topic like this. It's so pointless and a waste of time.

What was he aiming for with this topic? I think that it's beyond my level of understanding. Huh

Sabbaticals are forbidden for a good reason, that's it. Everybody should understand why from Ravi's note. This is a place for us to discuss the joys of WS, techniques, products, stories and so on, not to preach on frugality. If there's a person who wants to follow this way, let's respect him; but this is not a preaching place.

2 242
 12-28-2013, 05:21 AM
User Info
(12-28-2013, 03:58 AM)davizera Wrote: I don't understand why a person would create a topic like this. It's so pointless and a waste of time.

What was he aiming for with this topic? I think that it's beyond my level of understanding. Huh

Sabbaticals are forbidden for a good reason, that's it. Everybody should understand why from Ravi's note. This is a place for us to discuss the joys of WS, techniques, products, stories and so on, not to preach on frugality. If there's a person who wants to follow this way, let's respect him; but this is not a preaching place.
From a TSN newbie's point of view:

I think it's a matter of choice. Some yearn for the liberty to do and say as they want; the dream of unbounded liberalism. Unfettered capitalism does show us the need for control and, in reality, restriction. Even on internet discussion boards. I'm optimistic enough as to hope that the reason for restricting 'Sabbatical' thread isn't because it's not in a vendor's interests - but that it's juvenile and boorish.

I need to dramatically cut down on my spending this year because I have my sights on proposing to my long-suffering girlfriend and potentially even a mortgage deposit. But I don't really want pages and pages of discussion and tedious acronyms to help me with that.

Essentially - his posting this thread was poor form and he's been deservedly silenced.

0 141
 12-28-2013, 05:29 AM
User Info
What is this word you speak of!? I'm still in my first 6 months of wet shaving, I have cupboards and drawers to fill!

11 830
 12-28-2013, 06:56 AM
User Info
Just curious ... If its a topic about not shaving or buying, what would you say everyday? Hi, it's Tuesday and I didn't do any shave related activities today?
Would have liked to see it for at least a week.

(With no bumps it would just go away.)

5 410
 12-28-2013, 12:36 PM
User Info
EDIT: NM

12 1,243
 12-28-2013, 01:40 PM
  • MaxP
  • Madison, WI
User Info
(12-28-2013, 05:29 AM)reggiehogarth Wrote: What is this word you speak of!? I'm still in my first 6 months of wet shaving, I have cupboards and drawers to fill!

Bully good for you! I say, go for it sir.

And, if the cupboards and drawers fill, there's always place for "a box in the basement." Wink

47 1,378
 12-28-2013, 03:14 PM
  • DLP
  • Missouri
User Info
(12-28-2013, 01:40 PM)MaxP Wrote:
(12-28-2013, 05:29 AM)reggiehogarth Wrote: What is this word you speak of!? I'm still in my first 6 months of wet shaving, I have cupboards and drawers to fill!

Bully good for you! I say, go for it sir.

And, if the cupboards and drawers fill, there's always place for "a box in the basement." Wink

too late, my Nook is in the basement and yes Blush There are boxes. Biggrin

3 497
 12-29-2013, 04:27 AM
  • davizera
  • Non Dvcor Dvco
  • São Paulo - Brazil
User Info
(12-28-2013, 05:21 AM)Burgundy Wrote:
(12-28-2013, 03:58 AM)davizera Wrote: I don't understand why a person would create a topic like this. It's so pointless and a waste of time.

From a TSN newbie's point of view:

I think it's a matter of choice. Some yearn for the liberty to do and say as they want; the dream of unbounded liberalism. Unfettered capitalism does show us the need for control and, in reality, restriction. Even on internet discussion boards. I'm optimistic enough as to hope that the reason for restricting 'Sabbatical' thread isn't because it's not in a vendor's interests - but that it's juvenile and boorish.

I need to dramatically cut down on my spending this year because I have my sights on proposing to my long-suffering girlfriend and potentially even a mortgage deposit. But I don't really want pages and pages of discussion and tedious acronyms to help me with that.

Essentially - his posting this thread was poor form and he's been deservedly silenced.

I completely agree with you about liberty, I am myself a lover of the Austrian School and a Libertarian. But let's remember that TSN is not a public place, but private. As this is a private place, we should follow the rules of the admins, the "owners", whose rules are more than fair and well explained.

If people want to use their right of free speech, they can create their own boards, blogs, or whatever they want, and in those places they will be free to preach whatever subject they want.

Should I go to a board discussing diets and post hamburgers recipes? I'll surely be banned.

I don't think that this is a matter of Vendor's interest, and if it is, what's the problem? The Vendors should have a place to expose their new goods, talk directly to costumers, and so on, even better if those vendors contribute to the WS community. In the end I agree that promoting Sabbaticals are just boring. What will we talk about? "Today it's been 53 days since my last shave and my beard grew another 1/10 of an inch since yesterday."

Second, I also have to cut down on my expenditure for next year, but you won't see me discussing this here, nor anywhere else, I'll just drool on our friend's acquisitions.

2 242
 12-30-2013, 05:38 AM
User Info
I never understand why it's necessary to announce to the world that you are leaving. Just go if this is not the place for you. The site will carry on just fine.

41 471
 12-30-2013, 06:05 AM
User Info
Its disappointing that something so trivial in context with everything else in life leads to such strong emotions. These types of arguments (after all we are talking about shaving here) reminds me of the adage about why literary arguments are so vicious: its because so little is at stake.

I just want to say my piece about TSN's ban on "sabbaticals." I am participating in one on another forum, but this was something I had already decided on my own to do. I think if you search my posting history, I mentioned it here first a few months ago.

I have found that with many of my "bad" habits I need to cut out the activity completely, whether it be eating too much, watching too much TV, or purchasing shaving goods when I don't really have the money to do so. This isn't to say that abstinence or restraint works with everyone nor do I encourage everyone to join with me. It'd be nice to have a group of people who could support and encourage each other on here. For me, participating in a sabbatical doesn't restrict me from giving my opinions about products (God knows I have enough in my stock right now!) or advice to newbies or any of the other great purposes of TSN. But in a warm and inviting community like this forum, it would be nice to help me along my way. It'd be akin, in some respects, to when the Texas Rangers won the AL pennant a few years ago with Josh Hamilton on the team. Since he was a recovering alcoholic and drug-abuser, they celebrated with sparkling cider and sodas, but they didn't seem to mind one bit.

So I've said my piece. I also respect and completely understand the moderators decision as well. I hope everyone had a happy holidays and I'm looking forward to 2014!

72 1,407
 12-30-2013, 07:37 AM
User Info
I think if the decision by the moderators has been made, there is little to discuss and perhaps we should close this thread.

12 1,243
 12-30-2013, 07:46 AM
User Info
(12-29-2013, 04:27 AM)davizera Wrote: In the end I agree that promoting Sabbaticals are just boring. What will we talk about? "Today it's been 53 days since my last shave and my beard grew another 1/10 of an inch since yesterday."

The point of these sabbaticals or "restraint" threads is not to stop shaving altogether, but to stop purchasing shave related items. instead, the participant is trying to restrict himself to using products he or she already owns. The purpose is to restrain spending as well as getting to know the products you already own.

I had considered joining a restraint thread for 2013 on the B&B forum because I have enough product to easily last me 20 years as it is. I didn't for a few reasons. First, the way some of the participants stock up prior to the sabbatical, then go on a spending spree after the sabbatical, seems to defeat the purpose. That's not restraining your purchases, that's just rescheduling them.

The other reason is they seem to get hung up on rules and exceptions. If I see a mint condition Fatboy for $5 at an antique store, I'm buying it regardless of whether I declared that exception or not. Better yet, I just won't join a restraint thread.

If some shavers find these concepts present a challenge that appeals to them, whether out of necessity or just for the fun and camaraderie, that's great for them and I wish them well. But for me, I'm practicing my own restraint in my own way. It's not a complete restraint, but it's one that works for me.

0 836
 12-31-2013, 08:59 AM
User Info
(12-27-2013, 01:55 PM)Teddyboy Wrote: I love TSN and I am not, in any manner, for restraint and sabbaticals. Regulating my obsession/hobby is my responsibility alone and no others'. However I must say that I feel uneasy about a policy that prohibits such proposals from being expressed.

Just my $0.02.

+1

(12-30-2013, 07:37 AM)insomniac Wrote: I think if the decision by the moderators has been made, there is little to discuss and perhaps we should close this thread.

I believe this will bad precedence to set. "Since we do not like or care for or agree on what you are saying/discussing, we just won't allow it to be discussed/commented on." is a position I do not want to see implemented on the TSN.

We should be able to manage posts of this nature in a professional, reasonable, open manner. Just a thought.

Ed

19 697