12-27-2013, 07:36 PM
  • tdmsu
  • Banned
  • Metro Detroit
User Info
Hi Everyone,

When my sister heard about me breaking my shaving bowl, she said that she still had my Dad's old brushes and mug, and gave them to me.

I know these are old, but I don't know how old, or anything about them, except that one is apparently from Austria and is a boar/badger mix. Any resident historians or restorers able to offer any advice?

Is it safe to use these after cleaning? Could I get them restored if not? Ballpark cost of restoring if I choose synthetic knots?

Thanks for any help!
[Image: 9upepe4u.jpg]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

2 447
 12-27-2013, 07:43 PM
  • taco8slo
  • Shavenookian Newbie
  • California
User Info
Nice, I personally would find a nice way of displaying them and keep them original the way your dad last had them.

15 130
 12-28-2013, 01:43 AM
User Info
What a great connection to your Dad. I expect you'll get some posts from the brush restoration experts with great advice.

37 2,975
 12-28-2013, 02:36 AM
  • Dino
  • St Helens, England
User Info
Wow great find, I unfortunately dont have any of my Dads shaving stuff.

1 68
 12-28-2013, 08:10 AM
User Info
Nice find - and nice brushes too. I'm rather envious to be honest.

I asked my old man a while ago what he had done with his old razors and suchlike - just to find out he threw them all away around the time I was born and he decided to grow a full beard Sad

3 3,580
 12-30-2013, 11:17 PM
User Info
Nice! It's great to have personal shave gear like that. The brush in the center looks quite useable as is. Have you tried hand lathering any of them?

They're safe to use right now. Nothing nasty lives beyond a few days. But to be sure just sanitize them.

Restoration with synthetic knots? Fairly inexpensive and you can probably do the work yourself if you're at all handy. I like and use The Golden Nib synthetic knots, but Muhle also sells knots if you contact them. Both are good, both are quite different from each other.

I would restore them if they were mine and wanted to use them, but I would never restore another persons brushes. Only because I wouldn't want the responsibility. They simply have too much connected to them. Cost? I can't tell you. You'd need to price it out if you do the work. The cost would be the knot, the adhesive, and whatever tools you don't have that you'll need. A Dremel (adjustable speed) with bits will do the knot removal and prep work if you go slow. It's what I use. Oh, you'll also need a utility knife to slice off the knot that extends out of the handle so that you can work on it. A spined SE hardware store blade will work for that if you are careful.

32 6,311
 12-31-2013, 09:35 AM
User Info
Those are fine looking brushes.
I would definitely get the Barbershop brush restored and reknotted. The other two look find to use, now.
What a nice find and good luck with whatever you decide.

75 20,884
 01-10-2014, 02:28 PM
User Info
(12-31-2013, 09:35 AM)celestino Wrote: Those are fine looking brushes.
I would definitely get the Barbershop brush restored and reknotted. The other two look find to use, now.
What a nice find and good luck with whatever you decide.

+1. I am at a loss for words at how that Barbershop brush would look like if restored.

0 295
 01-10-2014, 03:13 PM
User Info
That barbershop brush is great.
At The Golden Nib expect around 10 or 13 usd for a knot.

As it says ' Boar Badger ' , is the original knot a mixed one?
In that case, maybe Vie Long can help you.

Is the middle brush an ever ready c4?
I think Gary 'gdcarrington' just did a restoration on that one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

0 641
 01-11-2014, 03:09 PM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
I think, now I just think, that the one on the right is just a plain old Van der Hagen like you can get at Walgreens still today but the other two, wow! They look worth keeping. The middle one appears fine as is.

6 2,006