12-30-2013, 05:45 AM
User Info
I have used Feathers for at least 5 or 6 years but occasionally I get the urge to revisit or try out some other blades. Are SI blades still available from the seller in Portugal? I need to try out some of the Polisilver as well. Got some Gillette Silver Blues coming. I have a few Med Preps and will start using those again. Ideally, I would like to find something that might be better suited for an aggressive razor over the Feather. Any other suggestions? I am not at all unhappy with Feather but it looks to be a long winter and my mind wanders.

41 471
 12-30-2013, 07:35 AM
User Info
Good options - I find the Silver Blues and Polsilvers to be comparable. The Polsilver lasts longer, but the first shave with the Silver Blue is smoother IMHO.

I chuck the Silver Blues after 3 shave, Polsilvers after 4 shaves.

47 1,112
 12-30-2013, 10:14 AM
User Info
The Super Iridiums are still available from the seller from Spain and not Portugal.
These are some wonderful blades!

75 20,883
 12-30-2013, 10:19 AM
User Info
seems i purchased the last pallet of super iridiums at superiridiumblades.com if that was the place you meant Biggrin

however - according to the nice bloke running the shop the blades will be back soon. shoot him an email and ask for availability and pricing. good luck with your hunt!

7 1,625
 12-30-2013, 01:55 PM
User Info
PermaSharp Supers and SuperMax super platinums are also good blades.

32 6,309
 12-30-2013, 03:24 PM
  • Niro884
  • Italian Shaving Enthusiast
  • Stoney Creek, Ontario CANADA
User Info
You cant go wrong with a silver blue. Gillette Black is good as well. However, I am developing a liking to kai blades. Almost as sharp as a feather if not the same, but smoother. Phil carries them a Bullgoose. Give them a try. You won't be disappointed.

40 417
 12-30-2013, 04:20 PM
  • Deuce
  • Just a guy
  • Cave Creek
User Info
This is a great thread. Looking back this past 2 years, some of the blades that went thru my rookie hands are now being revisited in a more skilled approach. I have found some blades work well with one of my razors, and others not so well. As such I'm dialling in this winter too.

19 700
 12-30-2013, 05:46 PM
User Info
(12-30-2013, 03:24 PM)Niro884 Wrote: You cant go wrong with a silver blue. Gillette Black is good as well. However, I am developing a liking to kai blades. Almost as sharp as a feather if not the same, but smoother. Phil carries them a Bullgoose. Give them a try. You won't be disappointed.

i agree that kai blades are good and smooth and i get maybe 5 excellent shaves from them. i believe they are a tad larger (from edge to edge) than most other blades. all blades and sizes can be found on their japanese website.

think i read some time that kai is the maker of feather blades. can anyone verify this? anyway - kai makes a large range of specialty blades for hospitals/arts&crafts/industry in general + other razor blades.

7 1,625
 12-30-2013, 07:41 PM
  • LORDBISHOP
  • Lover of the Wet Shaving way of Life
  • Westchester, NY
User Info
I have tried a ton of blades...At this point I have found that every razor has a particular style blade that works best with a given razors overall weight, weight distribution, head style(aggressive vs. mild), and even handle length IMO. I've found Polsilver Iridium and Gillette Silver Blue blades work the best for me in the widest variety of razors...I've stocked up heavily on these blades for this reason. Overall sharp blades like kai, Feather and Personna Med preps work best in mild razors for me...While still sharp but definitely leaning more toward the smooth side of the scale work better in heavier, more aggressive razors, like Gillette Platinum Blacks, SuperMax Titanium & Super platinum, and PermaSharps. I just received a package from ItalianBarber.com that included some of the only blades still in production that I've yet to try, the "From Russia with Love" blade pack along with the original Zyletek Iridium Super blades...I'm always looking to try something new, the only caveat with DE blades is that I'm either left happily surprised with a butter smooth shave, or bumpy and weeping for my curiosityTongue

[Image: kn8pmcq.jpg]

4 792