12-30-2013, 12:53 PM
  • celar36
  • Enjoying Life 1 shave at time
  • London, UK
User Info
For long time I am fighting with Disability. When I was born whole right side of body was paralysed. Nowadays if you look at me you would not know I am disable till I dont tell you. Even know I suffer from pain in my right hand and can do only basic stuff with it. Also I dont have feeling in my right foot toe's
Adding all together even me being 24 years my back tends to hurt a lot.. from posture and not even weight balance etc..

In need of fighting with it this pain, my wife said we need better bed. So we went for quest fighting perfect mattress which will help me. We found Tempur Cloud 21.
http://uk.tempur.com/mattresses/cloud-co...LOU21.html

It was on sale due Christmas ( I waited for it) instead of paying £2000 I paid £1300. Still a lot but I really need it. Think how much shaving goodies I could haveSmile but my wife stood firm that I need this and she was right as it helped me a lotSmile

Could you believe this stuff cost so much? I always believe mattresses cost top £500....

11 878
 12-30-2013, 12:56 PM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
I believe that in mattresses, you really are getting what you've paid for. Invest 2k in the greatest mattress for your needs and it will serve you. Same way we are calculating cost per shave, do it for the mattress, cost per hour of rest Wink

88 4,233
 12-30-2013, 12:58 PM
  • Agravic
  • Super Moderator
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
Considering how much time we spend in bed, a mattress is a valuable investment. Yes, they can be expensive, but a properly matched mattress can make quality of life so much better.

Congratulations, Jack ... and I hope the new mattress works out for you.

Don't worry ... there's plenty of time to save up for more shaving goodies!

102 18,147
 12-30-2013, 01:06 PM
  • freddy
  • Banned
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
Jack, your health comes first. Truly good mattresses are not inexpensive and if it helps to reduce the pain you have then it is definitely money well spent. You are young and you deserve the best quality of life you can manage. Listen to that wise and beautiful wife of yours. The shaving goodies aren't going anywhere and will be just as wonderful when you start adding to your collection again. Thumbsup

2 11,211
 12-30-2013, 01:07 PM
  • celar36
  • Enjoying Life 1 shave at time
  • London, UK
User Info
Yup I know we dont do sabbatical and I will never do it( even my wife believes I will for next few months)

Thats why we have work postal addressSmile

Yes thats mattress I can test for 40 days and return it if I dont like it. Plus I have 15 years Guarantee.

Mind you I test in last month plenty of them and that one hit the sweet spot

11 878
 12-30-2013, 01:21 PM
User Info
I hope it works well for you, Jack. One can hardly put a price on a good night's sleep.

199 12,108
 12-30-2013, 03:11 PM
User Info
Good luck with the mattress, Jack.

Have you ever considering looking into an inversion table to see if that can help alleviate any discomfort?
I have one and have been using it for the past 15 years and have greatly enjoyed it. Smile

82 21,002
 12-30-2013, 03:12 PM
  • Hanzo
  • Oakland, California
User Info
Researching mattresses gave me a headache and was really frustrating. It seems like a racket not even the mob could devise. How can a simple mattress cost thousands and people keep a straight face selling them.

Its up there with the $300 kitchen knives, really trivial things made needlessly complicated.

My mattress stayed , 12 years and counting, its alright.

Tongue

15 541
 12-30-2013, 03:41 PM
  • Coyote
  • Hondo, TX USA
User Info
Congrats! I concur, mattresses are not a place to skimp. I got a TempurPedic 4 years ago and never looked back.

4 2,540
 12-30-2013, 04:12 PM
  • Deuce
  • Just a guy
  • Cave Creek
User Info
Jack-My wife had this conversation with our son the other day. It's a worthwhile investment.

19 713
 12-30-2013, 04:15 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
It sounds like a great purchase Jack -hopefully this helps the back pain and allows you to rest comfortably.

45 17,201
 12-30-2013, 05:58 PM
User Info
I used Olejo Mattress several time and was more than satisfied with the knowledge of the salesperson on the chat...but since its internet purchase you cant lay on the mattress but I found the descriptions spot on as far as the firmness level...also in regards to memory foam be careful of the extra heat factor

4 158
 12-30-2013, 06:02 PM
User Info
yes - i can believe an excellent mattress cost relatively much. i had the mattress search about 5 years ago and used several weeks before i settled for one. read lots of reviews and tested a bunch. it was certainly worthwhile - and every evening i am still happy for my great purchase (norwegian made svane) - or should i say: investment in health. congratulations jack!

(12-30-2013, 03:12 PM)Hanzo Wrote: Researching mattresses gave me a headache and was really frustrating. It seems like a racket not even the mob could devise. How can a simple mattress cost thousands and people keep a straight face selling them.

Its up there with the $300 kitchen knives, really trivial things made needlessly complicated.

Tongue

ha - you think 300 bucks are too much for a kitchen knife - but for some that will be the starting price - for one of several whetstones. if a new kitchen cost from $10,000 - $100,000 i think $300 will be regarded as trivial. that said: a good cook will handle any knife - a bad cook will ruin any knife Biggrin

7 1,624
 12-30-2013, 07:01 PM
  • Hanzo
  • Oakland, California
User Info
(12-30-2013, 06:02 PM)tonsorius Wrote: yes - i can believe an excellent mattress cost relatively much. i had the mattress search about 5 years ago and used several weeks before i settled for one. read lots of reviews and tested a bunch. it was certainly worthwhile - and every evening i am still happy for my great purchase (norwegian made svane) - or should i say: investment in health. congratulations jack!

(12-30-2013, 03:12 PM)Hanzo Wrote: Researching mattresses gave me a headache and was really frustrating. It seems like a racket not even the mob could devise. How can a simple mattress cost thousands and people keep a straight face selling them.

Tongue

ha - you think 300 bucks are too much for a kitchen knife - but for some that will be the starting price - for one of several whetstones. if a new kitchen cost from $10,000 - $100,000 i think $300 will be regarded as trivial. that said: a good cook will handle any knife - a bad cook will ruin any knife Biggrin

A mattress , a kitchen knife, tools for living. But since that has been conquered ever new complicated ways of doing them have to be devised to spin money out of consumers.

We are taught to want a $100,000 kitchen , even if the home cook doesn't even have time to prepare food because he/she is working to pay for it or can't cook worth a damn. Why would a soft well made mattress be produced at a reasonable cost when you can sell a $5000 mattress system to thankful buyers.

We don't come up with these needs, we are the fish caught on the hook by them.

I was in a developing country and a family I visited prepared a feast of the freshest, healthiest and delicious food with cheap aluminum pots, $1 Chinese made knives and a butane tank gas stove/oven. Like you say its the cook not the cook ware so this fascination with over the top kitchens takes on a life of its own and food preparation gets lost in the mix. Smile

15 541
 12-30-2013, 08:35 PM
User Info
...but it is also possible to make great food with expensive tools Wink

i lived in a 'developing' country for quite awhile and was invited to a very large wedding - 70 main courses. in my opinion the food tasted terrible. the best food in that country i found in a very cheap and unhygienic chinese restaurant.

i think lots of high cost equipment - high cost by any standard - fullfill needs and dreams of many people - and i don't blame them. the most costly items i have in my home are unobtrusive and will hardly be noticed by anyone but myself. a thief would be a bit disappointed - but take my mac & tv and be quite happy anyway - and i will be relieved Tongue

7 1,624
 12-30-2013, 10:00 PM
  • Hanzo
  • Oakland, California
User Info
I agree it is possible to make great food with expensive tools and that may be enjoyable but the costs of the tools have become too expensive especially in our developed countries. Expense not only in terms of money but in time and attention to the tool, we pay a price here too and can lose the plot of the real goal which the tool facilitates reaching. We become attached to the tool and its magic and forget what it was for, to help us do a small thing.

I want to sleep on a mattress not " finance " one like my car lol. We are forced to think about what to do when we meet the mattress salesman not what to do on the mattress with a lovely woman.

From research, to understanding to physically visiting the mattress store it seemed like I was putting way more into it than it was worth and it did not seem like an opportunity but a needless burden.

15 541
 12-30-2013, 11:00 PM
  • Snuff
  • Belgium
User Info
glad you found your mattress, I tried a Tempur a few months back but apparently it just like shaving YMMV. I didn't like it, lucky for me it was a action where you could try it out for free.

27 1,402
 12-31-2013, 05:26 AM
User Info
(12-30-2013, 10:00 PM)Hanzo Wrote: From research, to understanding to physically visiting the mattress store it seemed like I was putting way more into it than it was worth and it did not seem like an opportunity but a needless burden.

+1. My wife and I just wanted a new mattress, but I spent more time researching and shopping for a mattress than I did finding a wife.

Men are mostly utilitarian. We evolved by sleeping on rocks and tree trunks. When you haven't considered a mattress in 20 years and you see a $3000 price tag, it's like a kick in the groin.

9 1,199
 01-02-2014, 07:06 AM
User Info
oddly enough, I was going to start a mattress thread for suggestions as I'm in need of one as well.

I'll start a new thread to keep my issue separate.

40 5,830