12-30-2013, 09:15 PM
User Info
Recently I saw another FWE with original orange scales. I thought the color was terrific especially against the polished blade, the blued shaft and the fancy bolsters found on these razors.
In order to mimic the look I decided to go through some of my collection and see just what would work to recreate the look.
I happen to have quite a few ( not all shown her) razors with fancy bolsters that would fit the bill.
I chose a Tower razor who's scales were damaged and a Fraternity that had matching scales that were good.
So I swapped the good scales to the Tower and this freed up the bolsters for me to use.
I had made several batches of orange acrylic. I picked one I liked , cut out the scales and fitted the bolsters to them.
Then I polished up the blade, blued the shaft and put it together with turned down SS washers.
I think it's an interesting looking razor and doesn't disappear with the other razors with the same style bolsters.

The first picture shows the Fraternity on top, the Tower Brand in the middle and yet another FWE I'll restore using similar orange acrylic as this piece.
The second shot shows part of the selection of razors I have with similar scales. Some razors are still missing from the shot.

[Image: 0kZ62PT.jpg]

[Image: Bx0xKHx.jpg]

[Image: NUJktfJ.jpg]

[Image: 2YQxtQ3.jpg]

[Image: bhv4Kp2.jpg]

[Image: zNU18KJ.jpg]

[Image: kP9EmpR.jpg]

0 772
 12-30-2013, 09:39 PM
  • Deco
  • シングルエッジ
  • Rocky Mountains
User Info
Doesn't get better than that!

1 239
 12-30-2013, 09:44 PM
User Info
(12-30-2013, 09:39 PM)Deco Wrote: Doesn't get better than that!
Thanks, but it just might when I build the second FWE ( the first a straight resto posted here) with the other set of orange acrylic to duplicate the one I saw.
But I'm quite happy with how this one came out. Going to try it out as soon as I post this reply.

0 772
 12-31-2013, 03:40 PM
  • geezer
  • Menomonie, Western WI
User Info
Very nicely done!
I have an original razor in that color of scales, It really brings out the best in the razor in my opinion!

8 1,190
 01-02-2014, 03:06 AM
  • MikekiM
  • Long Island, NY
User Info
I love the bluing every time I see it.

It's extra special that you pour your own acrylic. Sweet work, as always!

Happy New Year!

33 914
 01-02-2014, 08:41 PM
User Info
Thanks guys.
Being able to make my acrylic just in my mind makes it not only ore accurate but adds that unique one off custom touch.
And the bluing not only looks neat but adda a bit more protection at a vulnerable area prone to rust.

0 772