03-01-2012, 09:42 AM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
[Image: P1230680.jpg]

Long time ago I tried the Klar Kabinett shaving soap with excellent results.Today I was able to shave with another Klar soap,the sandalwoo one.

Klar its a german company which have been making soaps since 1840,and that says a lot about this brand.

[Image: P1230682.jpg]

This shaving soap has a better presentation (packaging) than the Klar Kabinett 500 g bars (which are designed supposedly for barbershops) : it comes on an aluminum tin,with a screwcup and 110 g of soap inside.The sad part is that the aluminun tin its kind of thin and Phil (I got this soap from http://www.bullgooseshaving.net ) received a shipment of this soaps with some dents in many of them.Sad

Its ingredients are pretty similar to the Klar Kabinett shaving soap.This are the Klar Seifen Sandalwood ingredients :

[Image: P1230681.jpg]

and this ones are the ones for the Klar Kabinett :

[Image: P1160343.jpg]

As you can see if a veggie based shaving soap and its formulation reminds me of another great spanish shaving stick,the Myrurgia (no longer in production).

Making lather from this soap its really easy (due,maybe to all the coconut oils that contains) even when its seems to be a triple milled soap.Heres a picture with a Rooney 1/1 (T&H) brush,after loading it with soap for 20 seconds:

[Image: P1230705.jpg]

and here is the lather I got from it :

[Image: P1230706.jpg]

The lather has a lot of volume,but its thick,and also,its more slick than the one from the Klar Kabinett soap.

My shave with this soap was really good,much better than the one I got yesterday from the brand new Geo F. Trumper Spanish Leather shaving cream,but this is normal,since I have a pretty dry skin,and I usually get better results from soaps.I would consider this soap in the same category than the Crabtree and Evelyn Nomad/Sienna ones,but I need further shaves with it to confirm it.

And its scent?Well,this could be good or could be bad,it depens.For me,reminds me of chocolate,being really different than the Art of Shaving or even the Edwin Jagger sandalwood shaving soaps.It has a really sweet scent,not pretty spice,as it could be cinnamon,and the soap invites you to bite it!Biggrin Its scent also,last through the shave.As I said,its not as sweet,spicy scent like the Spanish Fig and Nugmet shaving soap,which its warm,kind of sweet and spice (really masculine too),this is more in the sweet side for me.However,smells good.

A pretty curious shaving soap,I must admit.

86 7,123
 03-01-2012, 09:04 PM
User Info
Tieste - I am interested in comparing the two Klar soaps. The Kabinett is really so much cheaper, so I am wondering how similar it is to the Classic version in the screw tin. How would you compare them in terms of performance? Can the Kabinett be grated? Or melted into a stick?

How would you rate the fragrance of both products? My wife of 43 years is highly sensitive to fragrance, and I will simply not subject her to discomfort. There are so many choices out there, I can find something that can work.

Thanks for your expertise.

Slackskin

15 316
 03-01-2012, 09:53 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(03-01-2012, 09:04 PM)slackskin Wrote: Tieste - I am interested in comparing the two Klar soaps. The Kabinett is really so much cheaper, so I am wondering how similar it is to the Classic version in the screw tin. How would you compare them in terms of performance? Can the Kabinett be grated? Or melted into a stick?

How would you rate the fragrance of both products? My wife of 43 years is highly sensitive to fragrance, and I will simply not subject her to discomfort. There are so many choices out there, I can find something that can work.

Thanks for your expertise.

Slackskin

Slackskin:

I dont have the Klar Kabinett anymore (I sold it) and also I need to further try this new Klar Seifen Sandalwood soap.However I can tell you that the Klar Sandalwood seems to provide a slicker lather and its skin care properties are there for sure (my very dry skin can testify about that).Its scent its kind of the very sweet side for my taste,but for a woman could be perfect.The Klar Kabinett has a rose scent,which its not really strong,however you can smell it during the shave since it last.

Maybe you can recommend her Irish Moos,or Trumper Rose or Violet.

86 7,123
 03-02-2012, 06:16 PM
User Info
Thanks, Tieste

15 316
 03-02-2012, 11:52 PM
  • GreekGuy
  • Not saving money yet....
  • La Jolla, CA
User Info
This is one of my top 5 soaps. Absolutely outstanding performance. I find it takes noticeably less loading than other soaps, similar to MdC. The tin is a bit of a nuisance as it makes loading a little more tricky, but all in all a truly fantastic soap thats worth the price.

Slackskin, I also have the Klar Kabinett. I really like KK as well and I'd rate it quite favorably, but it isn't quite as good as the Klar Seifen line. It has a powdery, dry rose scent which I really enjoy even though I'm not a huge fan of rose. It is quite cheap, however.

Neither can be melted, but the KK is somewhat pliable and could be molded into a stick, and it even comes in a bar that you could just rub on your face like a stick. The scent is there during the shave, but quickly dissipates afterwards.

9 541
 03-05-2012, 10:59 PM
  • GreekGuy
  • La Jolla, CA
User Info
(03-01-2012, 09:42 AM)Teiste Wrote: I got this soap from http://www.bullgooseshaving.net

I thought Phil stopped carrying these last year, did he get more in, or just find a few in the storeroom?

9 541
 03-31-2012, 12:26 PM
User Info
(03-05-2012, 10:59 PM)GreekGuy Wrote:
(03-01-2012, 09:42 AM)Teiste Wrote: I got this soap from http://www.bullgooseshaving.net

I thought Phil stopped carrying these last year, did he get more in, or just find a few in the storeroom?

I would love to try the sandalwood. If anyone has some they are willing to part with... Let me know.

5 413
 03-31-2012, 12:38 PM
  • GreekGuy
  • La Jolla, CA
User Info
(03-31-2012, 12:26 PM)Krisbarger Wrote:
(03-05-2012, 10:59 PM)GreekGuy Wrote:

I would love to try the sandalwood. If anyone has some they are willing to part with... Let me know.

It is still available at RoyalShave

9 541
 06-13-2012, 10:03 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Well, since Nick (GreekGuy) and I almost took over the SOTD thread talking about this product, I thought I would bump it back up to the top for a while.

If you have had experience with either the Classic, Sport, or Sandalwood scent, chime in.

They also make a ladies version with a bunch of ingredients that makes it sound like it would be good dry sensitive skin.

173 23,533
 06-14-2012, 05:13 AM
User Info
I tried the Klar Seifen Klassica yesterday and it's instantly in the top 5 hard soaps I've ever used... amazing scent and outstanding performance!

3 315
 06-14-2012, 05:18 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
(06-14-2012, 05:13 AM)RazoRock_Joe Wrote: I tried the Klar Seifen Klassica yesterday and it's instantly in the top 5 hard soaps I've ever used... amazing scent and outstanding performance!

Thanks for the feedback Joseph.

173 23,533
 06-14-2012, 11:40 AM
  • syngent
  • Oshawa, Canada
User Info
(06-14-2012, 05:13 AM)RazoRock_Joe Wrote: I tried the Klar Seifen Klassica yesterday and it's instantly in the top 5 hard soaps I've ever used... amazing scent and outstanding performance!
Does that mean you'll look into bringing it in for us north of the border joe?

3 748
 06-14-2012, 12:08 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
Funny...I carried this soap for two years and it did not sell worth diddly squat. At the end, I could barely give it away for what I paid. Now that I dropped it, it is in demand. Go Figure! Facepalm

45 16,335
 06-14-2012, 12:16 PM
User Info
(06-14-2012, 11:40 AM)syngent Wrote:

I'm debating it... the problem is the retail price-point is very high, although after using it, I believe it's justified... I'm just not sure if it will sell.

3 315
 06-14-2012, 12:32 PM
  • syngent
  • Oshawa, Canada
User Info
Yeah I would say its a good value but the KK can cover the lower end as well but I have lots of that, but Dr.dittmar is a cheap price and calani is in middle if your going to Germany anyway lmao

3 748
 06-14-2012, 12:57 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
(06-14-2012, 12:16 PM)RazoRock_Joe Wrote:
(06-14-2012, 11:40 AM)syngent Wrote:

I'm debating it... the problem is the retail price-point is very high, although after using it, I believe it's justified... I'm just not sure if it will sell.

It didn't for me. The problem is you have to buy a lot of it to qualify for the price break and then it took a very very long time to sell it. I ended up giving away my last several tins of the Klar ladies soap, Sport and Sandalwood as "gifts" with large orders.

45 16,335
 06-14-2012, 01:08 PM
  • syngent
  • Oshawa, Canada
User Info
(06-14-2012, 12:57 PM)bullgoose Wrote:
(06-14-2012, 11:40 AM)syngent Wrote: Does that mean you'll look into bringing it in for us north of the border joe?

It didn't for me. The problem is you have to buy a lot of it to qualify for the price break and then it took a very very long time to sell it. I ended up giving away my last several tins of the Klar ladies soap, Sport and Sandalwood as "gifts" with large orders.
I may have to wait till my father goes back down to his house in florida and get royalshave to send it to him for him to send to me be interesting to see what happeneds with this stuff, the klar at least in the kabbinett is getting a little notice around town the seifen is at the top of my list of gets right now though, waiting is hard lol

3 748
 06-14-2012, 04:17 PM
User Info
(06-14-2012, 12:57 PM)bullgoose Wrote:
(06-14-2012, 11:40 AM)syngent Wrote: Does that mean you'll look into bringing it in for us north of the border joe?

Ya, that is sort of my worries. I think at the $15-20 price-point, they could be marketed and do very very well... but at the $30-40 price-point, there just aren't a lot of takers, no matter how good a product is. I'll have to think hard about it.

3 315
 06-14-2012, 04:21 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
(06-14-2012, 12:08 PM)bullgoose Wrote: Funny...I carried this soap for two years and it did not sell worth diddly squat. At the end, I could barely give it away for what I paid. Now that I dropped it, it is in demand. Go Figure! Facepalm

You can blame it on that great article Nick (GreekGuy) wrote.Smile

173 23,533
 06-14-2012, 07:11 PM
  • MaxP
  • Madison, WI
User Info
Based on Greek Guys endorsement, I ordered a tin of Sport scent.

I used it this morning. Hmmm. I can say, that for me, it was not impressive. However, in the interest of fairness, I'll use it the rest of the week and see if the results improve.

I'm expecting it to be close to MdC. We'll see.

47 1,378