12-31-2013, 02:31 PM
  • Sanch
  • Tennessee
User Info
Does anyone "force" dry their brush after using it ?, as in using a towel softly, or a hair dryer on low heat? I tried using the Mrs. hair dryer with my Omega 11126 Boar and it seems to have helped it bloom. Lightbulb

2 253
 12-31-2013, 02:35 PM
User Info
I rinse, shake holding the knot, wipe on dry towel and set to dry on the diagonal.

5 410
 12-31-2013, 02:48 PM
  • Agravic
  • Emeritus
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
Force drying a brush ... NO!

102 17,670
 12-31-2013, 02:53 PM
  • Sanch
  • Tennessee
User Info
(12-31-2013, 02:48 PM)Agravic Wrote: Force drying a brush ... NO!

ok please explain how it is detrimental? aside from the high heat (I used a low setting barely warm)

2 253
 12-31-2013, 03:08 PM
  • Triad
  • Triad Razor Handles
  • Texas
User Info
I have too many brushes drying times have never been a problem

115 1,692
 12-31-2013, 03:09 PM
User Info
I have occasionally set it in front of the heating vent (not close, a foot away), but that's it. No hair dryer. Just wanted it to get the warm, dry air over it over night. We have a heat pump so the air is not very warm. Just warmer. Ish.

0 303
 12-31-2013, 03:32 PM
  • Sanch
  • Tennessee
User Info
(12-31-2013, 03:08 PM)Triad Wrote: I have too many brushes drying times have never been a problem
quantity isn't the issue...Cool just curiosity...Dodgy..even if the blow dryer were to be used with no heat at all what ill effect if any at all would it have? NONE I chance to say as all of us leave our brushes to air dry increasing the "wet" time maybe I should've been a little more specific in my query....

2 253
 12-31-2013, 05:12 PM
  • vuk
  • Virginia
User Info
I shake my brush and pat dry with a towel to get the excess moisture out. It only takes 10-20 seconds and works quite well. Using a 'cold' setting on a blow dryer seems like a lot of hassle to me for the same result. Aside from concern with the heat, I wouldn't point the blow dryer down on top of the brush as it might push some water deeper into the recesses of the knot and as a result stay wetter longer - kind of like a reverse capillary effect.

2 505
 12-31-2013, 05:18 PM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
I shake the brush and wipe it gently with a towel. I then set it to try on a shelf. I'm fortunate to have a number of brushes ensuring ample time to dry between uses.

I do not like the idea of attempting to speed up the drying process. Excessively hot water is warned against and I would presume that the hot air from a blow dryer should be considered similarly (as potentially harmful).

I also don't like the idea of drying times being prolonged. I never place a brush back in to a box until I'm sure its completely dry. I keep my brushes out of the bathroom and hence away from humidity and moisture. When I travel with a brush, although it may be packed in its travel tube prior to adequate drying, I will always take it out for further drying upon arrival at my next destination.

My opinion in summary is that if drying time is important, then look to characteristics in a brush that promote this endeavour, for example less density or synthetic fibre...

91 17,851
 12-31-2013, 05:23 PM
  • Sanch
  • Tennessee
User Info
Thank you all for sharing your thoughts ask me again in about a month or so and I will post anything conclusive again this is on a BOAR bristle brush!

2 253
 12-31-2013, 05:40 PM
User Info
(12-31-2013, 05:18 PM)ben74 Wrote: I shake the brush and wipe it gently with a towel. I then set it to try on a shelf. I'm fortunate to have a number of brushes ensuring ample time to dry between uses.

I do not like the idea of attempting to speed up the drying process. Excessively hot water is warned against and I would presume that the hot air from a blow dryer should be considered similarly (as potentially harmful).

I also don't like the idea of drying times being prolonged. I never place a brush back in to a box until I'm sure its completely dry. I keep my brushes out of the bathroom and hence away from humidity and moisture. When I travel with a brush, although it may be packed in its travel tube prior to adequate drying, I will always take it out for further drying upon arrival at my next destination.

My opinion in summary is that if drying time is important, then look to characteristics in a brush that promote this endeavour, for example less density or synthetic fibre...

Ben,

Excellent reply...my thoughts exactly. I have never been a proponent of "forced break-in" (leather strops, sand-paper, chemicals, etc) or the "forced drying" mentioned above. I am of the old school of just use it and let nature take over. Over time, you will be rewarded.

Ed

19 697
 12-31-2013, 05:47 PM
User Info
There is one way to shorten the drying time without hot drying.

Take a plain dry paper towel and, after you have shaken as much water off the brush as possible, place the towel on your hand and gently rub the tips of the brush on the towel, as you would apply lather, for about 30 seconds or so. You will be surprised as to how much water the dry paper towel will wick out of the hairs. That cuts the drying time considerably and does not do damage to the hairs. It really does work well especially with dense knots.

1 2,827
 12-31-2013, 06:06 PM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
(12-31-2013, 05:47 PM)GDCarrington Wrote: There is one way to shorten the drying time without hot drying.

Take a plain dry paper towel and, after you have shaken as much water off the brush as possible, place the towel on your hand and gently rub the tips of the brush on the towel, as you would apply lather, for about 30 seconds or so. You will be surprised as to how much water the dry paper towel will wick out of the hairs. That cuts the drying time considerably and does not do damage to the hairs. It really does work well especially with dense knots.

Paper towel - nice tip for those in a rush!

91 17,851
 12-31-2013, 06:07 PM
  • Sanch
  • Tennessee
User Info
(12-31-2013, 05:47 PM)GDCarrington Wrote: There is one way to shorten the drying time without hot drying.

that is just too funny!! that's how I actually came to the idea of the blow dryer! I had just boraxed the stink outta mine and paper toweled it as above, then gently blow dried it on very low heat from a distance of approx. 10-12 inches...anyway thanks again for all the thoughts! KEEP IN MIND ITS PIGGY PIGGY NOT BADGER!

2 253
 12-31-2013, 07:06 PM
User Info
Well, I have on many occasions placed a brush over the heating vent. Works, very well, as the heat and force of the heat propelling up through the vent is very minimal. I am not recommending it, but if you are in a hurry and need it dried, it works very well. Blush
* Disclaimer: do not try this unless you are a professional and I take no responsibility for any damage done to your brush if you do so. Biggrin

75 20,883
 12-31-2013, 11:22 PM
  • Triad
  • Triad Razor Handles
  • Texas
User Info
I say blow dry that hog!! My wife allready thinks im over the top im sure she would not be ammused with me borrowing her blow dryer for my brushesConfused

115 1,692
 12-31-2013, 11:42 PM
  • Sanch
  • Tennessee
User Info
(12-31-2013, 11:22 PM)Triad Wrote: I say blow dry that hog!! My wife allready thinks im over the top im sure she would not be ammused with me borrowing her blow dryer for my brushesConfused
I hear ya and FWIW I will not be doing this to my badgers when I get them tomorrow!

2 253
 01-01-2014, 10:33 AM
  • Lando
  • This deal is getting worse all the time
  • Bellevue, WA
User Info
I use my tulip 2 two band as my travel brush for several years. I'll use it the morning I'm checking out of the hotel gently blow dry on low heat then pack away. This has worked for me without issues

10 388
 01-01-2014, 10:37 AM
User Info
(12-31-2013, 11:22 PM)Triad Wrote: I say blow dry that hog!! My wife all ready thinks im over the top im sure she would not be amused with me borrowing her blow dryer for my brushes. Confused

I take it that she would not want go to the Hog Drying contest at the state fair ... pity! Piggy_214

1 2,827
 01-01-2014, 10:38 AM
  • u2u
  • GTA
User Info
I am with Ben. As usual, he nails things down in a user and gear friendly way. When the heat is on the air is typically much dryer than in the warmer months. With the arrival of winter, following the method of Ben, my brush is dry in a few hours.

If forced to speed the process, a blower on cold setting would suffice. If travelling a vented container would be my preference. Even when I owned only one brush, I never felt the need to expedite drying times. Why the need?

0 535