01-01-2014, 09:13 AM
  • Rufus
  • Greater Toronto Area
User Info
I currently have brushes with all grades of Simpson's badger other than 2-band Silvertip. I thought I might remedy this deficiency by seeing if Mark could make an M7 with the 2-band. As this will be a significant investment, I'd like to solicit your opinions on this grade of Simpson's badger and how it compares with their other grades. Of my current line up of Simpson's brushes there is only one that I struggle with and that's the Chubby1 best. I have a Colonel in best and a Wee Scot in best and they are among my 5 favourite brushes. Accordingly, it's not the best hair that I struggle with in my Chubby1, but the density of the knot; at times it feels like a brick of badger on my face, which is a feeling I don't get with the Colonel. I like a brush that has soft tips, feels luxurious on my face and has good flow through, such as my Jubilee Manchurian, Colonel, Tulip2, Kent BK4, Thater and Shavemac beehive finest. How would an M7 2-band Silvertip compare with these brushes?

5 760
 01-01-2014, 09:18 AM
User Info
(01-01-2014, 09:13 AM)Rufus Wrote: I currently have brushes with all grades of Simpson's badger other than 2-band Silvertip. I thought I might remedy this deficiency by seeing if Mark could make an M7 with the 2-band. As this will be a significant investment, I'd like to solicit your opinions on this grade of Simpson's badger and how it compares with their other grades. Of my current line up of Simpson's brushes there is only one that I struggle with and that's the Chubby1 best. I have a Colonel in best and a Wee Scot in best and they are among my 5 favourite brushes. Accordingly, it's not the best hair that I struggle with in my Chubby1, but the density of the knot; at times it feels like a brick of badger on my face, which is a feeling I don't get with the Colonel. I like a brush that has soft tips, feels luxurious on my face and has good flow through, such as my Jubilee Manchurian, Colonel, Tulip2, Kent BK4, Thater and Shavemac beehive finest. How would an M7 2-band Silvertip compare with these brushes?

Bryan,

You might want to review this.

http://shavenook.com/thread-4-x-2-band-a...-summation

The Simpson 2 band was the best of the bunch. Some came very close, but it was still the best. I love my Keyhole in 2 band.

1 2,827
 01-01-2014, 10:16 AM
  • u2u
  • GTA
User Info
I will try to assist as a user of a two band M7 and a Jubilee manchurian. Neither hits my top five which are:

Simpson Tulip 3 Butterscotch Manchurian badger,
Simpson The Hive Disco Haze Manchurian badger ,
Thiers Issard 23X48 Desert Ironwood Super Badger,
Rooney 2 Beehive Heritage in faux bone Super Badger,
Simpson Chubby 3 Disco Haze Two Band Silvertip.

The two band M7 has the luxurious feel and flow through you seek. The tips are soft and backbone excellent. I predict total satisfaction.

If you are a little more of a gambler, can give up some flow through for decadent luxury, consider a two band Chubby.

You might give some thought to the bulb shape of the two band and how this fits into your choice of soaps/creams and preferred lathering method. The soft tips won't carve soap like a fan but the smaller contact area can be of benefit when using narrow soap containers such as Klar Seifen.

At the brush level you are considering things are very personal and too subjective. Only your hands on experience will give the answer.

Mark recently tweeted he is turning some M7 handles in butterscotch and tortoiseshell. You timing may be spot on. Good luck with your decision.

0 536
 01-01-2014, 11:26 AM
  • MaxP
  • Madison, WI
User Info
(01-01-2014, 10:16 AM)u2u Wrote: /snip/ ...turning some M7 handles in butterscotch and tortoiseshell. You timing may be spot on. Good luck with your decision.

Tortoise. Oh my. There are few handle colors that captivate me as much.

PS: Sorry for the hijackBlush

47 1,378
 01-01-2014, 12:00 PM
User Info
I own an M7 Butterscotch in 2 Band Silvertip. This is a great brush. Just enough backbone and not too dense. Great flow through. Wonderful brush. It's one I'll never sell.

1 255
 01-02-2014, 09:51 AM
User Info
Go for it!! Very soft tips, medium dense with great flow, medium backbone!
[Image: RmWZSuh.jpg]

31 1,554
 01-02-2014, 10:16 AM
  • Rufus
  • Greater Toronto Area
User Info
(01-02-2014, 09:51 AM)German Wrote: Go for it!! Very soft tips, medium dense with great flow, medium backbone!
[Image: RmWZSuh.jpg]

Now you've done it to me; this is the very M7 handle I have in mind. Mark, oh Mark where are you?AaaaaAaaaaAaaaa

5 760
 01-02-2014, 10:31 AM
  • rsp1202
  • Los Angeles
User Info
Beautiful. What's the knot and loft on this, and was it your choice or via Mark's suggestion?
Bryan, that's the same handle material I had on my 3-band Super Colonel. Very nice.
Between the M7, L7, Chief, and various customs like the Elite7, this handle shape has become a must-have.

20 1,609
 01-02-2014, 10:39 AM
User Info
24/52mm
I asked for a slightly higher loft (standard is 50mm).

[Image: h7lRmCe.jpg]

31 1,554
 01-02-2014, 11:08 AM
  • rsp1202
  • Los Angeles
User Info
I ask because I had a slightly larger Polo 8 Super 2-band that was great at 25/52 and was considering what specs to request with the M7 handle. 24- or 25mm knot and 50mm loft sounded about right to me. Hopefully Bryan will get something equally as dazzling as yours.

20 1,609
 01-02-2014, 03:41 PM
  • Elendil
  • Raggedy man, good night
  • The snow's back.
User Info
IMHO, Simpson does an excellent job balancing density and loft with their different grades of hair to deliver great flowthrough and face feel. In other words, just because it's a Simpson doesn't mean it feels like you're lathering with the pointy end of a torpedo. Most of my Simpsons are Bests, and my one two band is a Tulip 2....fantastic brush and in my top 5 brushes.

0 1,136
 01-02-2014, 04:35 PM
  • TheMonk
  • Super Moderator
  • Porto, Portugal
User Info
(01-02-2014, 10:39 AM)German Wrote: 24/52mm
I asked for a slightly higher loft (standard is 50mm).

[Image: h7lRmCe.jpg]

A bowl latherer's dream, I assume! Biggrin

25 4,642
 01-02-2014, 06:35 PM
  • Shanman
  • Reserve Collection Squirrel Hair
  • NE Florida
User Info
That's the one Simpson handle that has yet to make it into my den. I didn't take to the L7 feel in the hand, so I am wary of the M7 although I love the Tulip line...

135 1,947