01-01-2014, 09:28 AM
  • vpayne
  • Missouri
User Info
I'm hoping some Members can help me obtain some of these blades (or has some to sell). They are Gillette 7 O'clock Super platinum (Blue Czech or Russian version). I know they are discontinued. I'm hoping someone has some to sell.
Thanks,
Vic

[Image: pNLSBkh.jpg][Image: GcuOE2h.jpg]

32 362
 01-01-2014, 09:50 AM
  • Teddyboy
  • Guilty, with an explanation
  • NYC
User Info
Have they actually been discontinued, or did a lottery winner somewhere buy them all up?

1 744
 01-01-2014, 10:32 AM
User Info
As far as I know, the Czech Blues haven't been made in some time - production shipped to the St. Petersburg plant.

12 1,243
 01-09-2014, 06:54 PM
  • Shaun
  • St Peters, NSW, Australia
User Info
(01-01-2014, 10:32 AM)insomniac Wrote: As far as I know, the Czech Blues haven't been made in some time - production shipped to the St. Petersburg plant.

I have received some "Gillette Platinum" blades from Roumania, made at the St Petersburg plant. They have the reputation as nudging the Silver Blues out...just. I will review and compare to the 7O'Clock Platinum Blues which I have in stock and are my favourite blade ( as well as the Polsiver Browns which are WONDERFUL in my DE89 Barley Corn)

0 1,624
 01-18-2014, 02:42 AM
  • Shaun
User Info
(01-09-2014, 06:54 PM)Shaun Wrote:
(01-01-2014, 10:32 AM)insomniac Wrote: As far as I know, the Czech Blues haven't been made in some time - production shipped to the St. Petersburg plant.

I have received some "Gillette Platinum" blades from Roumania, made at the St Petersburg plant. They have the reputation as nudging the Silver Blues out...just. I will review and compare to the 7O'Clock Platinum Blues which I have in stock and are my favourite blade (as well as the Polsiver Browns which are WONDERFUL in my DE89 Barley Corn)

...and today I used a Gillette Platinum bought from the Rumanian chap and ...I am impressed! I put the blade into a Gillette "Old Type" c.1909 and gave myself a lovely three-pass shave using TOBS cream lathered up in a bowl using the Petree two-band brush, great face lathering too.

At first, there a slight tugging as we all experience with a brand new and very sharp blade, but it settled quickly (on a Saturday mid-day beard).

I like these blades more that the Silver Blues, but, as ever, YMMV. I'd equate this blade with the 7 O'Clock dark Blue Super Platinum, and wonder if they are not in fact the same blade, but packaged differently?

I bought 50, and I am glad I did.

I recommend these as a blade that does nudge the Silver Blue out, but then I was never that great a fan of the Silver Blues.

0 1,624
 01-18-2014, 04:41 AM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
Interesting. Of current, in-production blades I have several that top my list such as ...Gillette 7 O'Clock Yellows, Silver Blues, and Lord Cools to name a few. I'll put these on my "must try" list right behind Super Iridiums.

5 2,006
 01-22-2014, 10:35 AM
User Info
(01-18-2014, 02:42 AM)Shaun Wrote:
(01-09-2014, 06:54 PM)Shaun Wrote:

I have received some "Gillette Platinum" blades from Roumania, made at the St Petersburg plant. They have the reputation as nudging the Silver Blues out...just. I will review and compare to the 7O'Clock Platinum Blues which I have in stock and are my favourite blade (as well as the Polsiver Browns which are WONDERFUL in my DE89 Barley Corn)

...and today I used a Gillette Platinum bought from the Rumanian chap and ...I am impressed! I put the blade into a Gillette "Old Type" c.1909 and gave myself a lovely three-pass shave using TOBS cream lathered up in a bowl using the Petree two-band brush, great face lathering too.

At first, there a slight tugging as we all experience with a brand new and very sharp blade, but it settled quickly (on a Saturday mid-day beard).

I like these blades more that the Silver Blues, but, as ever, YMMV. I'd equate this blade with the 7 O'Clock dark Blue Super Platinum, and wonder if they are not in fact the same blade, but packaged differently?

I recommend these as a blade that does nudge the Silver Blue out, but then I was never that great a fan of the Silver Blues.

If these are equivalent to the (apparently discontinued) 7 O'clock Blues, then they must be very good blades indeed. I've been trying a few others lately with good reputations (Silver Blue, Permasharp, 7 O'clock Yellow, etc.) and they don't have the longevity and quality of the Blues.

12 1,243
 01-22-2014, 02:34 PM
  • Shaun
User Info
(01-22-2014, 10:35 AM)insomniac Wrote:
(01-18-2014, 02:42 AM)Shaun Wrote:
(01-09-2014, 06:54 PM)Shaun Wrote: I have received some "Gillette Platinum" blades from Roumania, made at the St Petersburg plant. They have the reputation as nudging the Silver Blues out...just. I will review and compare to the 7O'Clock Platinum Blues which I have in stock and are my favourite blade (as well as the Polsiver Browns which are WONDERFUL in my DE89 Barley Corn)

If these are equivalent to the (apparently discontinued) 7 O'clock Blues, then they must be very good blades indeed. I've been trying a few others lately with good reputations (Silver Blue, Permasharp, 7 O'clock Yellow, etc.) and they don't have the longevity and quality of the Blues.

I am not certain they are equivalent ...the 7 O'Clock Blues are my all-time favourite blades, and as I alternate between them and the Platinums for a few weeks I will be able to confirm one way or another. But I think they are better than Silver Blues, as ever, though, YMMV. The razor you are using will also make a difference.

0 1,624
 01-25-2014, 03:50 PM
  • vpayne
  • Missouri
User Info
I thought I would try to find these blades because they are one of only two blades that give me a BBS shave (just about) every time. The Russian blue version are good, but the Czechs are better-for me. They haven't been made for quite a while.

I thought it wouldn't hurt to put some feelers out. So far, no one has offered any.

32 362
 05-26-2014, 06:01 AM
User Info
Does anyone knows where can i find these Gillette 7 O'Clock Platinum (or Super Platinum) Russian version?

Best,

13 1,313
 05-28-2014, 03:39 AM
  • Mouser
User Info
I was fortunate enough to try all the versions of 7 O'Clocks and found them all to be mostly equal to me, slight edge to the Yellow. Them, Silver Blues and both of the Super Iridiums on my list of top current models. But YMMV as they say.

5 2,006
 03-12-2015, 04:32 AM
  • Shaun
User Info
The Russians are now available on ePay, but pricey. And yes, you can buy lots of 100. I bought 200 and received them recently. If you love them, buy them, buy them all Wink IMO they are worth every penny. Best blades ever made.

0 1,624
 03-12-2015, 09:55 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
That was my go to blade for years.  I got tired of searching and replaced them with the Polsilver blades.

173 23,536
 03-12-2015, 02:57 PM
User Info
(03-12-2015, 04:32 AM)Shaun Wrote: The Russians are now available on ePay, but pricey. And yes, you can buy lots of 100. I bought 200 and received them recently. If you love them, buy them, buy them all Wink IMO they are worth every penny. Best blades ever made.

Available on ePay?

13 1,313
 03-12-2015, 11:40 PM
  • Mouser
User Info
 03-13-2015, 01:47 AM
  • Shaun
User Info
(03-12-2015, 02:57 PM)Rui Marques Wrote:
(03-12-2015, 04:32 AM)Shaun Wrote: The Russians are now available on ePay, but pricey. And yes, you can buy lots of 100. I bought 200 and received them recently. If you love them, buy them, buy them all Wink IMO they are worth every penny. Best blades ever made.

Available on ePay?

Yes, you know what auction site I'm talking about. Look for the seller Businkaolya.

0 1,624
 03-15-2015, 09:08 AM
User Info
(03-13-2015, 01:47 AM)Shaun Wrote:
(03-12-2015, 02:57 PM)Rui Marques Wrote:

Available on ePay?

Yes, you know what auction site I'm talking about. Look for the seller Businkaolya.
Thanks. Gotta take a look.

13 1,313
 03-19-2015, 03:09 PM
  • Mouser
User Info
I bought a few packs of this blade from the link I posted based on it's reputation. Not so hot for me, not bad but.....

5 2,006
 03-24-2015, 03:33 PM
User Info
I have not tried the blue ones so I just ordered 30 from ShavingIE.

Update- I received the blues on Friday and had my first shave with them yesterday. Used one in a Fatip Piccolo. Vey smooth and sharp, similar to Voskhods. Nice DFS with no nicks, cuts or weepers! I think they will be part of my regular rotation.

13 95
 03-25-2015, 04:31 AM
  • Mouser
User Info
They're still available.

5 2,006