01-02-2014, 07:31 AM
User Info
hi all,

I'm in need of a new mattress. my current 1 is going on 7 years old and is starting to sag.

I've got a spinal disease and prefer something on the medium to firmer side.

what's decent out there?

I was really looking into the sleep number, but have read a lot of mixed reviews.

40 5,830
 01-02-2014, 07:39 AM
  • Deco
  • シングルエッジ
  • Rocky Mountains
User Info
Have you considered a good futon?

1 239
 01-02-2014, 08:55 AM
User Info
(01-02-2014, 07:39 AM)Deco Wrote: Have you considered a good futon?

+1

75 20,883
 01-02-2014, 09:28 AM
User Info
(01-02-2014, 07:39 AM)Deco Wrote: Have you considered a good futon?

I don't like futons.

the ones I've slept on in the past were terrible.

40 5,830
 01-02-2014, 09:51 AM
User Info
After learning about natural latex foam mattresses, I "built" one by ordering a 6" and 3" sheets of foam from from Foam Factory, assembled in the mattress cover from them.

Benefits of natural latex:
-Very comfortable (we also use latex foam pillows and no other sleeping place comes close)
-No off-gassing
-No toxic chemicals
-Long lasting
-Motion isolating (although not as much as memory foam)
-Sleeps cool (unlike memory foam)
-Does not harbor dust mites, etc.
-Long lasting (I believe I have a pro-rated warranty of 15 years, but I anticipate it lasting more than 30)

I have made mattresses with all firm, medium-firm and medium components from this company and it really just comes down to personal preference.

47 1,270
 01-02-2014, 10:58 AM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
(01-02-2014, 09:51 AM)kentclark Wrote: After learning about natural latex foam mattresses, I "built" one by ordering a 6" and 3" sheets of foam from from Foam Factory, assembled in the mattress cover from them.

-Very comfortable (we also use latex foam pillows and no other sleeping place comes close)
-No off-gassing
-No toxic chemicals
-Long lasting
-Long lasting (I believe I have a pro-rated warranty of 15 years, but I anticipate it lasting more than 30)

I have made mattresses with all firm, medium-firm and medium components from this company and it really just comes down to personal preference.

That is really interesting, Tom. Did you get to try what you purchased before getting it or did you have to count on the return policy, in case it wasn't for you?

2 11,211
 01-02-2014, 08:11 PM
  • njpaddy
  • Central New Jersey
User Info
My wife and I are sleep number fans. We had one from around the mid-90's until 2012, however it was the "cheap" model. It had the air pump and controls but no number so the firmness level on each side was always a guess. When I started having hip and leg pain at night (which turned out to be statin drug -not mattress- related) we bought an inner spring from Costco. I don't think it was more than a month before it began sagging. In less than a year, we bought a new sleep number (P6 Queen) and we couldn't be happier with it.

0 204
 01-02-2014, 08:34 PM
  • tdmsu
  • Banned
  • Metro Detroit
User Info
We've been sleeping on a sleep number for six months, and we are happy with it.
We had a tempurpedic for ten years, but decided to go with sleep number because it lets us choose what is comfortable for each separately, it sleeps much cooler than the foam, and it's much, much easier to move and set up because it's modular, and maybe a third or less the weight.

It does not isolate movement as well as a foam, but it's worth the trade off for us.

2 447
 01-03-2014, 01:51 AM
User Info
+1 views of KentClark, we are now on our second one………. First one 17 years no problem with the latex. But the covering, looking a bit tired/jaded.

Charles U.K

0 2,338
 01-03-2014, 05:20 AM
  • robk
  • New Jersey
User Info
We're fans of Dux / Duxiana. Not inexpensive, but really comfy. They can customize each side on delivery.

11 516
 01-03-2014, 08:32 AM
User Info
(01-02-2014, 10:58 AM)freddy Wrote:
(01-02-2014, 09:51 AM)kentclark Wrote: After learning about natural latex foam mattresses, I "built" one by ordering a 6" and 3" sheets of foam from from Foam Factory, assembled in the mattress cover from them.

-No off-gassing
-No toxic chemicals
-Long lasting

That is really interesting, Tom. Did you get to try what you purchased before getting it or did you have to count on the return policy, in case it wasn't for you?

Freddy, we were able to check out some latex and latex hybrid mattresses in person. After calling the manufacturer (name escapes me now) to learn what density of foam they used for the one we liked, I took a chance on a similar density ordered from this foam warehouse. The large price difference made it worth the gamble to me initially. Now, I've put together a two queens, a king and a twin. Longest ownership is 4 years of any one mattress, and we still love it.

The only downsides in my experience:
-The edges of the mattress are not reinforced like the ones we tried in the store, meaning it offers less support when sitting up on the edge of the bed. Something we noticed initially, but doesn't bother now.
-It's kind of a bear to move: propped on it side to slide through a door or hallway, the mattress wants to "wet noodle" on you (and this foam is not light...probably around 100 lbs for a queen). It doesn't have nearly as much strength in that direction as a conventional mattress. If you have two patient people to move it, you should be fine. It shipped to me in a box with the mattress vacuum-packed...it expands once the vacuum is broken. Easier to move into the room for the first set-up, but obviously still heavy. Need at least 1 strong, healthy man to move it.

47 1,270
 01-05-2014, 08:21 AM
User Info
Tom,
Thanks for that info on latex beds. I've looked at the site but couldn't find anyway to get a 3" piece to add with the 6" pieces. Sounds like a great alternative that you've found.

I tend to advise my patients to seriously consider all of the non-innerspring options when they ask me about beds. I have a Sleep Number bed since 2005 and I'm extremely pleased with it. The only other mattress that I'm really interested in trying out (my son has a foam bed from Sam's Club, Night Therapy IIRC) is the Natural Form mattress. I like their concept with the air chambers, no pump, and the wool topper. I may just have to find a Hilton Garden Inn with this bed to try it out.

31 7,912
 01-06-2014, 07:46 AM
User Info
Andrew, I have a Simmons Back Care 3 in King size. The mattress is medium-firm and provides excellent support, as well as being incredibly comfortable. It's made in Japan and cost approximately USD $2,500. The best money I ever spent Smile

Michael

21 456
 01-06-2014, 10:50 AM
  • krissy
  • Cando, North Dakota
User Info
We needed a new one a few years ago and went with a king coil. They don't advertise much from what we were told in the store but the mattresses were better than some of the other well known brands.

After laying on the serta and sealey, it felt much better and is a firm mattress. They are all hand tied where the store lady told us the other two were not, and they have a great guarantee if something goes wrong with them in a certain time period.

Ours is two years old now and I love it. The only thing hard to get use to was the fact I now feel like I'm 5 getting onto the bed and I'm 5' 7" tall. It's a really TALL bed with the frame and box spring. It wasn't a cheap investment and we could have gotten another brand much cheaper, but I'm happy we spent the money on the one that we did.

My dad dropped big bucks on a tempurpedic mattress after my mom got sick and they bought a new spendy mattress for the new bedroom set for their new house. It's now in the spare room! He wasn't impressed after sleeping on it for awhile.

Good luck in making your decision, I don't envy you as it's a hard one to make. I feel like such a dork laying on mattresses in the store testing them out.

7 405
 01-06-2014, 12:07 PM
User Info
(01-05-2014, 08:21 AM)SharpSpine Wrote: Tom,
Thanks for that info on latex beds. I've looked at the site but couldn't find anyway to get a 3" piece to add with the 6" pieces. Sounds like a great alternative that you've found.

I tend to advise my patients to seriously consider all of the non-innerspring options when they ask me about beds. I have a Sleep Number bed since 2005 and I'm extremely pleased with it. The only other mattress that I'm really interested in trying out (my son has a foam bed from Sam's Club, Night Therapy IIRC) is the Natural Form mattress. I like their concept with the air chambers, no pump, and the wool topper. I may just have to find a Hilton Garden Inn with this bed to try it out.

Brian,

I just ordered 3" latex from their "topper" section after talking with them. Fills the mattress cover perfectly to make a 9" mattress of your desired density and firmness.

47 1,270
 01-06-2014, 12:09 PM
User Info
tip: avoid testing mattresses after work - then even mediocre models will feel nice Wink

7 1,625
 01-06-2014, 05:09 PM
User Info
I'd like to check out the latex beds, but I'm not sure anyone has anyone near me locally...

40 5,830
 01-06-2014, 05:18 PM
User Info
(01-06-2014, 05:09 PM)andrewjs18 Wrote: I'd like to check out the latex beds, but I'm not sure anyone has anyone near me locally...

You might be surprised to find one locally. It won't be bare latex but will more likely have some sort of synthetic core and a latex top. Might be worth a call.

47 1,270
 01-06-2014, 08:09 PM
  • Blue line
  • East Central Alabama
User Info
Try a local furniture store that carries big brand memory foam mattresses under an alternate name. Sealy and Simmons make "off-brand" mattresses under other names. They are the same with lower price tags. My entire family sleeps on memory foam.

2 334
 01-07-2014, 03:53 AM
User Info
We've been very happy with our sleep number bed. It's nice to be able to custom tailor a mattress to your back. We bought the adjustable frame with built in massage last Christmas. Highly recommended….

35 196