01-02-2014, 02:34 PM
User Info
Lots of talk about this, but I can't say I've ever experienced one in all the brushes I've had. (Then again, maybe I have and just didn't realize it.) Can someone post a photo or otherwise describe? Thanks.

26 1,763
 01-02-2014, 02:44 PM
User Info
Here is an album I made comparing a Vintage Blades brush, and a Simpsons. The glue bump is an area at the base of the bristles where the glue has more or less "seeped through" the plug area of the knot. It isn't good, it isn't bad, but it does change the way that a knot plays out. The glue bump lowers the effective loft of the brush, so the Simpsons I have pictured has an effective loft virtually identical to its stated loft, whereas the Vintage Blades one has an effective loft somewhat shorter than its measured loft.

Some brands which seem to have larger glue bumps which I have observed include: Semogue, Omega, WSP, Vintage Blades, and most Chinese-made knots I have experience with.

Brands which have very little or no glue bump (which from what I understand is rather difficult to do) include: Thater, Shavemac, Simpsons, and Vie-Long.

16 245
 01-02-2014, 02:55 PM
User Info
(01-02-2014, 02:44 PM)explodyii Wrote: Here is an album I made comparing a Vintage Blades brush, and a Simpsons. The glue bump is an area at the base of the bristles where the glue has more or less "seeped through" the plug area of the knot. It isn't good, it isn't bad, but it does change the way that a knot plays out. The glue bump lowers the effective loft of the brush, so the Simpsons I have pictured has an effective loft virtually identical to its stated loft, whereas the Vintage Blades one has an effective loft somewhat shorter than its measured loft.

Some brands which seem to have larger glue bumps which I have observed include: Semogue, Omega, WSP, Vintage Blades, and most Chinese-made knots I have experience with.

Brands which have very little or no glue bump (which from what I understand is rather difficult to do) include: Thater, Shavemac, Simpsons, and Vie-Long.

Excellent information. I can add just two more things.

The glue bump can be handled by using longer hairs and then sinking the base further into the handle which eliminates the issue and reduces the difficulty.

Now on synthetics glue bumps can be your ally because the fibers don't flair like naturals. If you place the top of the bump slightly above the handle opening it can be used to serve as a flaring point (semi circle) to allow the fibers to spread out at the point of opening. So in the case of a synthetic you would like a little glue bump, but many knot makers make them way too long and so some of the advantage is taken away.

1 2,827
 01-02-2014, 03:08 PM
User Info
If you really wanted to you can stick a needle through the knot and find the top of the bump. All knots have them unless they're made in a very old fashioned way. I've only seen Vie Long use this method.

Most handles are drilled pretty shallow so the bump extends above the top prominently.

9 2,995
 01-05-2014, 06:59 AM
User Info
Frank Shaving Pur Tech synthetic has the most pronounced glue bump of the synthetic I have used. The glue bump works well with the 28mm FS but IMO hinders the smaller knots.

18 201
 01-05-2014, 07:05 AM
User Info
(01-02-2014, 02:44 PM)explodyii Wrote: Here Some brands which seem to have larger glue bumps which I have observed include: Semogue, Omega, WSP, Vintage Blades, and most Chinese-made knots I have experience with.

Which WSP of yours has a glue bump? None of mine do & I've had several.

31 7,981
 01-05-2014, 09:26 PM
User Info
I have a WSP Boar with likely the largest glue bump of any brush I have owned, and from just chatting with a few other users, the Monarch seems to have a decent one.

The bump on the WSP boar isn't bad, it just translates to a scrubbier brush than I was expecting at a stated 55mm loft.
(01-05-2014, 07:05 AM)SharpSpine Wrote:
(01-02-2014, 02:44 PM)explodyii Wrote: Here Some brands which seem to have larger glue bumps which I have observed include: Semogue, Omega, WSP, Vintage Blades, and most Chinese-made knots I have experience with.

Which WSP of yours has a glue bump? None of mine do & I've had several.

16 245
 01-05-2014, 10:49 PM
User Info
Ok, yes the boar I can understand. None of the Monarchs that have passed through my hands had any noticeable glue bump.

31 7,981
 01-06-2014, 12:28 PM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
I abhor glue bumps on badger brushes, preferring the splay to naturally occur starting right at the handle. I understand the necessity of having the glue bump on synthetic knots, but that may be partially to blame for my dislike of their performance. I have sold my Simpson Emperor 2-band because of the prominent glue bump and may sell my FS Pur-Tech brush when I return from vacation for the same reason. On higher priced brushes I expect the quality and quantity of hair to be matched with the diameter and loft of the knot for optimum performance. Having a glue bump that protrudes above the handle is something I consider indicative of lower quality, JMHO.

137 2,609
 01-11-2014, 08:01 AM
User Info
(01-02-2014, 02:34 PM)rsp1202 Wrote: ...Can someone post a photo or otherwise describe? Thanks.
Downloaded from another forum:

[Image: 628e2952-25de-4862-b917-d8895f9e726a_zps11097cbb.jpg]

7 358
 01-11-2014, 09:35 AM
User Info
Actually, that's just the way that particular knot is made. A normal glue bump is just glue and if you cut it in half, you'd see hair glued together.

9 2,995