01-03-2014, 02:12 AM
User Info
Today's shave was a first in my book but had the idea months ago to try this. It went well and hopefully this post will be looked at more than just a shave of the day.

I had decided to let my hair growth grow a bit extra and went unshaven for almost 5 days I believe. I purposely did this in hopes to once again test my most aggressive razor which is the 2011 Muhle R 41.

I had one blade half of a Derby that I had used on only the first pass shaving the lip, chin, and cheeks.

A second pass on the cheeks was done with one half blade of a Wilkinson Sword, but not the Indian Originated Source. This pass with mostly across the grain but because on the angle, somewhat against the grain.

The third pass is actually a first pass for the area on my face that is actually being shaved. I used the side of the R 41 containing the Wilkinson Sword as a starting pass going against the grain on the entire neck. I seem to have skin that is intolerant lately to multiple yet mild passes and is forgiving in regards to an aggressive yet single pass. I definitley felt the skin sounding tight but it wasn't really unpleasant or painful. I had 2 minor nicks in my usual spots on the neck but it was so minute of a nick that it was not treated with any potassium alum, styptic pencil or witch hazel.

The Derby was used for across the grain touch up on the cheeks and the the Wilkinson Sword side was used around the lip in the against the grain fashion.

I think that it was ironic that the Derby in my most favorable razor, a Merkur 34 C, was mildly irritating and too mild. Now in the aggressive R 41 it has the ability to be less irritating maybe due to giving it more bend and more blade exposure.

I am thinking my next shave will be a half blade of a Supermax Titanium and the other side will be a half blade of Astra Blue Stainless.

Now serious question, does anyone get the urge to just toss the blades after one use? I wish I could get myself to commit to blades longevity but I tend to end the life of a blade immediately after use. Anyone care to comment of the level of waste?

74 1,090
 01-03-2014, 03:11 AM
User Info
Blades are cheap - I replace after one week regardless, and since I use two razors and don't shave every day... it means each blade lasts me three passes or thereabouts. Still cheaper than carts by far - and if wasting steel is an issue you might consider a straight Tongue

How hard is it to load two half blades? Pictures?

3 3,578
 01-03-2014, 05:53 AM
User Info
(01-03-2014, 02:12 AM)zaclikestoshave Wrote: Now serious question, does anyone get the urge to just toss the blades after one use? I wish I could get myself to commit to blades longevity but I tend to end the life of a blade immediately after use. Anyone care to comment of the level of waste?

I'm now shaving twice with a blade and tossing it. I like a fresh blade and I like to remove that variable from the equation ( because 4 shaves was about tops for me anyway). And Feathers didn't seem to be good past 2 anyway. Labs could go a little longer, but I just settled in on 2 shaves and toss. The Labs are only 12 cents a piece.

0 303
 01-03-2014, 09:01 AM
User Info
I use a blade for three or four shaves before changing. I haven't found a blade yet that isn't good for at least three shaves, and I have a coarse beard. I do shave everyday, though.

And I don't "toss" blades. I recycle them. I put them into empty Altoid Mini tins. When the tin is full I close it up and put it into the recycling.

1 1,106
 01-03-2014, 09:31 AM
User Info
My days of trying to save money with traditional wet shaving are long gone. I used to use a blade for at least 5 shaves, but I finally realized that I have many more blades than I will ever need, and I like the sharpness and smoothness of a relatively fresh one, so I decided to just use each blade 4 times and then toss it. My beard must be relatively homogeneous, because I don't need to consider using two different blades in one shave; one of my high-quality vintage blades does a fine job all over.

184 12,003
 01-03-2014, 09:41 AM
User Info
Twice and out for me. My R41 is not blade friendly.

0 100
 01-03-2014, 10:17 AM
User Info
(01-03-2014, 09:01 AM)kingfisher Wrote: And I don't "toss" blades. I recycle them. I put them into empty Altoid Mini tins. When the tin is full I close it up and put it into the recycling.

Just out of curiosity, did you think "toss" meant to throw it up in the air? Tongue

(01-03-2014, 09:41 AM)Kerrplunk Wrote: Twice and out for me. My R41 is not blade friendly.

My R41 put me over the top on throwing them out after 2 shaves. The blade is really "out there" on the R41, and I think it does better with a fresher, sharper blade.

0 303