04-28-2012, 03:37 AM
User Info
Hello Gents,

I read about comparison between omega and semogue boar brushes a numerous times. IMO making a comparison is not fair, since the Semogue brushes are way better than omegas. Semogue is more quality. It's like comparing a Hyundai and a BMW, both are good cars but are not in the same class, if you know what i mean.

As I said this is my opinion, what is yours?

4 365
 04-28-2012, 03:55 AM
User Info
We are all entitled to our own opinions, but I must disagree. Omega makes some fantastic brushes, but they also make some down to a price point. I currently have 2 Semogue brushes and while I like them, the knot of my 2000 died after 10 months of use. My original Omega wood handled boar is still going after a number of years.

18 568
 04-28-2012, 04:45 AM
User Info
My preference lies with Semogue. The brushes just offer a better feel for me. There are a few a Omega fans but for me, these brushes don't offer nothing special but get the job done. Quite like Hyundai's as you say.

7 1,179
 04-28-2012, 05:18 AM
User Info
I can't comment on a comparisons as I don't have any Omegas. I have a personal preference for the Semogue handles aesthetically. From reading plenty of reviews my thoughts are that Omega & Semogue are the two top boar brush manufacturers & both can have a dud brush sneak through QC occasionally. I would have no problem with purchasing from either company & if I ever find an Omega in a size & handle I like then I'll be sure to give it a try.

31 7,914
 04-28-2012, 05:34 AM
User Info
Having used several models of boar brushes from both makers, I can say that both manufacturers make excellent brushes.

The Semogues tend to have knots that are more densely packed and have thinner hairs. The Omegas have thicker, stiffer hairs that take longer to break in.

I like both brands. They're not the same, just different, and depending on your knot preferences, they're really pretty comparable.

37 1,731
 04-28-2012, 06:00 AM
  • Howler
  • A calamophile and vintage razor lover
  • Fort Smith AR
User Info
Brushes are a highly personal choice. To say one brush is better then another is strictly one's opinion.

I recently added a Semogue and Vulfix boars to my brush rotation. I already have an Omega 48, which is a great brush. I like the Semogue, yes there is difference compared to the Omega. Each brush has their one strengths and qualities.With that said they are both great brushes and good value for the price.

I think that the undiscovered boar is the Vulfix, it is overshadowed by the Omega, and Semogue brand names. The Vulfix is a totally different type of boar. I believe the term bulb knot would be applicable for this brush. It has not fanned out like the other boars. This brush is a great brush, a very dense knot. It is proving to a lathering monster.

1 3,507
 04-28-2012, 06:04 AM
User Info
(04-28-2012, 06:00 AM)Howler Wrote: Brushes are a highly personal choice. To say one brush is better then another is strictly one's opinion.

I recently added a Semogue and Vulfix boars to my brush rotation. I already have an Omega 48, which is a great brush. I like the Semogue, yes there is difference compared to the Omega. Each brush has their one strengths and qualities.With that said they are both great brushes and good value for the price.

I think that the undiscovered boar is the Vulfix, it is overshadowed by the Omega, and Semogue brand names. The Vulfix is a totally different type of boar. I believe the term bulb knot would be applicable for this brush. It has not fanned out like the other boars. This brush is a great brush, a very dense knot. It is proving to a lathering monster.

Is the Vulfix less dense? I have a couple De Vergulde Hand boars which are considerably less dense than my Semogues yet they produce a ton of lather very easily.

31 7,914
 04-28-2012, 06:08 AM
User Info
Thank you for informative posts. Let me ask a spesific question: is there an omega that compares with Semogue LE 2011? I have only 4 omega boars and lots of semogues, as far as i've tried the craftmanship in omega brushes seems/feels like lesser quality...to me at least.
You made good points in differences of bristles in each brands, which i agree, I also must agree that most omegas are solid performers. On the other hand, think about the beauty of a wooden or acrylic semogue, and the cheap looking omegas..

4 365
 04-28-2012, 06:15 AM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
I find that Semogue and Omega are the best boar brushes out there.Semogue uses different kind of boar hair,as well as Omegas.For me would be hard to say choose one over the other,but aesthetically Semogue offers better looking handles than Omega.However,Omegas boar brushes are excellent too for their price.

86 7,123
 04-28-2012, 06:32 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
I have 8 Semogue and 2 Omega. Yes, my vote would go towards the Semogue. However, my travel brush is an Omega 10005. My Omega red handled 49 is packed in its tube and rest in the drawer.

173 23,540
 04-28-2012, 06:40 AM
User Info
Burak -

Personally, I have issues with paying for a handle. I know this varies from person to person, but I find that the knot is what sells a brush to me - as long as the handle is usable, I'm fine with it.

That said, Omega has some nice plexi-handled boar brushes. Granted, not the same range as Semogue, but they do have some.

As to finding something that matches the Semogue 2011 LE - I'm on record as saying that I don't particularly care for it. Of course, YMMV, and a lot of people do like theirs. Give me an Omega Pro knot over the Semogue 2011 LE any day....especially at the relative price. Smile

Again, this just comes down to personal preference.

37 1,731
 04-28-2012, 06:57 AM
User Info
(04-28-2012, 06:40 AM)yohannrjm Wrote: Burak -

Personally, I have issues with paying for a handle. I know this varies from person to person, but I find that the knot is what sells a brush to me - as long as the handle is usable, I'm fine with it.

That said, Omega has some nice plexi-handled boar brushes. Granted, not the same range as Semogue, but they do have some.

As to finding something that matches the Semogue 2011 LE - I'm on record as saying that I don't particularly care for it. Of course, YMMV, and a lot of people do like theirs. Give me an Omega Pro knot over the Semogue 2011 LE any day....especially at the relative price. Smile

Smile Well said, Yohann!
I agree 100% this is personal preference. I am the type who is not satisfied with only a solid knot, she has to be also beautiful Smile

4 365
 04-28-2012, 08:14 AM
User Info
I have one of each, a Omega 31025 "Scarlatti" and a Semogue 1305. I love them both! I did not like the knot in the Semogue 2011 LE and sold it. Both companies make a broad line of brushes at different price points.

6 230
 04-28-2012, 08:27 AM
User Info
(04-28-2012, 06:00 AM)Howler Wrote: Brushes are a highly personal choice. To say one brush is better then another is strictly one's opinion.

Now I need to try Vulfix Smile

(04-28-2012, 03:55 AM)PanChango Wrote: We are all entitled to our own opinions, but I must disagree. Omega makes some fantastic brushes, but they also make some down to a price point. I currently have 2 Semogue brushes and while I like them, the knot of my 2000 died after 10 months of use. My original Omega wood handled boar is still going after a number of years.

What happened to 2000 is very dissapointing, Dale. I have not experienced such a problem. Interestingly, my semogue 620 did not shed a single hair since the beginning Smile

4 365
 04-28-2012, 08:54 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Knock on wood, literally since they all have wooden handles, I have not lost one hair in any of my Semogue brushes.

The only thing loosing hair in my house is me. Smile

173 23,540
 04-28-2012, 09:23 AM
User Info
(04-28-2012, 06:40 AM)yohannrjm Wrote: Burak -

Trust me, you are not alone in your thinking as I sell hundreds of Omega Pros a year and never hear a complaint; value-for-money, there might not be a better value in the wet shaving world than an Omega professional boar brush; I have tons of brushes, some cost 15x the price, yet I still reach for my pro49 very often.

3 315
 04-28-2012, 09:53 AM
User Info
Omega hands down. Just a better feeling brush and have never lost a hair on an Omega.

2 697
 04-28-2012, 09:59 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
(04-28-2012, 09:53 AM)SteelTown Wrote: Omega hands down. Just a better feeling brush and have never lost a hair on an Omega.

I can see I need to cast a spell on you. Biggrin

173 23,540
 04-28-2012, 10:07 AM
User Info
I'm glad I've bought Omega 31064. It keeps my 5 semogues good company. It provides different luxurious feel. The plexi handle is very comfortable. I'm planning to add another Omega to my pigs.

2 180
 04-28-2012, 10:33 AM
User Info
Both fine brushes, but i prefer the Semogues because of their better bristles and beautiful handles!
The LEs 2011, in my opinion, are fantastic brushes!
This may be a biased opinion as i am Portuguese. Hehe!

75 20,883