01-03-2014, 06:08 PM
User Info
ML received this pen for Christmas.
[Image: X8bN8Ts.jpg]

I thought I would post her review as a new thread so it would be easy to find. She is feeling under the weather so I am posting on her behalf.

The Coventry is not on the Cross website. We got it at Staples. It does not show up on their website either.

The pen had a $49.99 price on the box but Staples sold it for $19.99.

It came with both a fine and medium grip/nib combo. So you do not have to change the nib. You just screw on the appropriate grip. It came with two Cross cartridges. We purchased a converter seperately. This is a push in converter. Not the normal Cross screw in converter.

ML inked it with Pilot Asa-gao, a blue ink (free sample from Freddy). She has only used the medium nib.

She felt the pen looked very elegant. She liked writing with it. The nib was smooth on both Rhodia paper and cheap note paper. No scratchiness on either. The pen had some heft to it when posted and felt good in her hand. Unposted it was lighter but still nice to write with. Overall she likes this pen. It is a great pen for the price. Would make a great starter pen set or gift.

Phil

7 363
 01-03-2014, 06:25 PM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
Dang, I'll have to hit up Staples. It looks like Mary Lou got herself a bargain. Smile

2 11,211
 01-03-2014, 07:05 PM
User Info
Nice find, Phil! Hope your wife enjoys the pen! Smile

75 20,883
 03-16-2014, 11:22 AM
User Info
(01-03-2014, 06:08 PM)PhilNH5 Wrote: ML received this pen for Christmas.
[Image: X8bN8Ts.jpg]

I thought I would post her review as a new thread so it would be easy to find. She is feeling under the weather so I am posting on her behalf.

The Coventry is not on the Cross website. We got it at Staples. It does not show up on their website either.

The pen had a $49.99 price on the box but Staples sold it for $19.99.

It came with both a fine and medium grip/nib combo. So you do not have to change the nib. You just screw on the appropriate grip. It came with two Cross cartridges. We purchased a converter seperately. This is a push in converter. Not the normal Cross screw in converter.

ML inked it with Pilot Asa-gao, a blue ink (free sample from Freddy). She has only used the medium nib.

She felt the pen looked very elegant. She liked writing with it. The nib was smooth on both Rhodia paper and cheap note paper. No scratchiness on either. The pen had some heft to it when posted and felt good in her hand. Unposted it was lighter but still nice to write with. Overall she likes this pen. It is a great pen for the price. Would make a great starter pen set or gift.

Phil

Thanks Phil for the great review which I was very relieved to read.

I am unable to find blue cartridges of the F type, so will buy a converter, and have a definite preference for the 'push type' you refer to in your review.

Can you please tell me where to get one. I'd be so grateful to know - thanks - Brian

0 1
 03-16-2014, 11:37 AM
  • freddy
User Info
Hi Brian,

I see this is your first post. Welcome to The Shave Nook and The Ink Well forum. It's great to have you on the site. Smile

While not a bricks & mortar store, here is one place to find the Cross push converter: http://www.amazon.com/Cross-Fountain-Con...B003H0ZTOW

Once again, welcome to The Nook.

Freddy

2 11,211
 03-17-2014, 03:47 PM
User Info
Brian,
We purchased the green push in converter from Amazon. Freddy's link is the same converter.

I just want to be clear. By "push in" converter I mean the converter is pushed in to mount to the pen. This is the green Cross converter in Freddy's link. This is as opposed to the orange Cross converter that one screws in to mount to the pen.

I do not mean push in like a piston to fill the converter.

Thanks for the link Freddy.

Phil

7 363
 03-17-2014, 04:01 PM
  • freddy
User Info
(03-17-2014, 03:47 PM)PhilNH5 Wrote: Brian,
We purchased the green push in converter from Amazon. Freddy's link is the same converter.

I just want to be clear. By "push in" converter I mean the converter is pushed in to mount to the pen. This is the green Cross converter in Freddy's link. This is as opposed to the orange Cross converter that one screws in to mount to the pen.

I do not mean push in like a piston to fill the converter.

Thanks for the link Freddy.

Phil

Hi Phil! Glad I could help. As an aside, I finally got to answer your letter. Look for it to arrive sometime this week. Smile

2 11,211
 03-17-2014, 04:53 PM
  • Elendil
  • Raggedy man, good night
  • The snow's back.
User Info
That's a very nice looking (blue) pen, Phil. Is there any flex in the nib?

0 1,136
 03-17-2014, 05:35 PM
User Info
(03-17-2014, 04:53 PM)Elendil Wrote: That's a very nice looking (blue) pen, Phil. Is there any flex in the nib?

Hi Bob, this is Mary Lou, Phil's wife. The pen is mine and I really like it a lot! I do not find that it has any flex to it. In my notes on the pen I wrote, smooth to write with, even color. I guess I am boring because that is how I like to write! I like an even line. When it gives a variegated color/thickness, it makes me feel like I am running out of ink and that bugs me! I also only use the medium nib. I never tried the fine one. Other reviewers said the fine nib was a little scratchy but the medium was not. It is a great pen! many coworkers comment on how sharp it looks! It is a very classy looking pen for a man or woman. Hope this helps!

7 363
 03-17-2014, 07:11 PM
  • Elendil
  • Raggedy man, good night
  • The snow's back.
User Info
Thanks, Mary Lou. I'm always on the lookout for a good pen that I can pick up locally. Scratchy nibs really bug me, so I'm glad to hear this is a smooth writer.

0 1,136