01-03-2014, 06:27 PM
User Info
ML received this pen for Christmas.

She is under the weather so I am acting as her secretary this eveningBiggrin

I purchased the pen from jetpens.com. I also ordered the optional clip and the squeeze converter.

The Kaweco Sport is a small pen lenghtwise when capped.
[Image: D5Uo2ju.jpg]
Without the clip it would easily fit in a pocket or purse.

Here it is next to a Cross Coventry pen for size comparison.
[Image: 7S6Q5u1.jpg]

The cap is threaded so when you close the pen it is secure. It posts via friction fit.

Once posted it is almost a full size pen. Here it is with the Coventry again.
[Image: MnQlymr.jpg]

The pen is all plastic so it is very light.

ML liked this pen. It wrote well on both good and cheap paper. No scratching. The light weight was neither a plus nor minus in ML's opinion. She inked it with Hebrin Eclat de Saphir ( You guessed it - blue!) The medium nib laid an appropriate medium line. Nice and smooth. No skipping with this ink.

The Kaweco squeeze converter was next to useless at aspirating ink. filling with a syringe solved that problem.

ML would recommend this pen.

Phil

7 363
 01-03-2014, 06:37 PM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
I love my Kaweco Sport. Mine is the demonstrator. It is my EDC (everyday carry) and I wouldn't be without it.

Unfortunately, I could have told you that the squeeze converter is all but useless. Sad Once again, take a look at the homemade converter. It works like a charm.

2 11,211
 01-03-2014, 06:50 PM
User Info
(01-03-2014, 06:37 PM)freddy Wrote: I love my Kaweco Sport. Mine is the demonstrator. It is my EDC (everyday carry) and I wouldn't be without it.

Unfortunately, I could have told you that the squeeze converter is all but useless. Sad Once again, take a look at the homemade converter. It works like a charm.

Freddy,
Thanks for the link. You have mentioned this before so I was aware of it. I think the Kaweco squeeze converter was 4 or 5 bucks so I figured i would try it. ML likes it. We fill ALL of our converters with a syringe so doing so for the Kaweco is not a problem.

Phil

7 363
 01-03-2014, 07:24 PM
  • CRAusmus
  • Going from Texas to Georgia
User Info
Love my Kaweco Sport as well. It's replaced my Fisher Bullet as my EDC pen. Always in my pocket.

14 1,177
 01-03-2014, 07:29 PM
  • Elendil
  • Raggedy man, good night
  • The snow's back.
User Info
It's a great pen, and I have several. The nibs write very smoothly, and I have also opted for medium on all of them. I haven't used a converter with them, though, and have opted to use the Kaweco-brand cartridges.

0 1,136
 01-03-2014, 07:40 PM
  • freddy
User Info
(01-03-2014, 07:29 PM)Elendil Wrote: It's a great pen, and I have several. The nibs write very smoothly, and I have also opted for medium on all of them. I haven't used a converter with them, though, and have opted to use the Kaweco-brand cartridges.

Bob, virtually every cartridge brand, including Kaweco's own, have worked superbly in the Sport; not a problem in the bunch, including Kaweco, J. Herbin, and Private Reserve. My choice of nib is the EF and the start-up and flow are fantastic.

2 11,211
 01-03-2014, 09:42 PM
User Info
Great video, Freddy! Thanks for the link! Smile

75 20,883
 01-04-2014, 05:03 AM
  • Elendil
  • The snow's back.
User Info
(01-03-2014, 07:40 PM)freddy Wrote:
(01-03-2014, 07:29 PM)Elendil Wrote: It's a great pen, and I have several. The nibs write very smoothly, and I have also opted for medium on all of them. I haven't used a converter with them, though, and have opted to use the Kaweco-brand cartridges.

Bob, virtually every cartridge brand, including Kaweco's own, have worked superbly in the Sport; not a problem in the bunch, including Kaweco, J. Herbin, and Private Reserve. My choice of nib is the EF and the start-up and flow are fantastic.

That's good to know, Freddy. Thanks. The Kaweco ink is actually pretty good, with very good flow and nice colors (I think I've used 3...2 kinds of blue and black). I also agree on your experience re: start-up and flow, as mine has been the same. It's amazing how good the nib is on such an inexpensive pen.

They're also good gateway pens. My then 10 year old daughter asked for an FP for Christmas one year, and got an orange Ice Sport. This year, at 12, she upgraded to a Franklin Christoph.

0 1,136
 01-04-2014, 10:14 AM
  • freddy
User Info
(01-04-2014, 05:03 AM)Elendil Wrote:
(01-03-2014, 07:40 PM)freddy Wrote:

That's good to know, Freddy. Thanks. The Kaweco ink is actually pretty good, with very good flow and nice colors (I think I've used 3...2 kinds of blue and black). I also agree on your experience re: start-up and flow, as mine has been the same. It's amazing how good the nib is on such an inexpensive pen.

They're also good gateway pens. My then 10 year old daughter asked for an FP for Christmas one year, and got an orange Ice Sport. This year, at 12, she upgraded to a Franklin Christoph.

Excellent! Thumbup I have not used a Franklin Christoph. How does she like it? Have you used one? If so, what do you think of it?

2 11,211
 01-04-2014, 02:55 PM
  • Elendil
  • The snow's back.
User Info
She loves It, Freddy. Santa brought a "Collegiate" #27 in Tennessee Orange with a medium steel nib. Santa also brought a bottle of iroshizuku Kon-Peki and a bottle of Private Reserve Lake Placid Blue. She loaded the converter with Kon-Peki and has been doing so much writing, that the first fill is almost empty.

I have used them as well, and have two #27, one with a regular medium nib and the other with a medium italic. I also have a #29, which has the magnetic cap, with a broad italic. I purchased the 29 direct from Scott Franklin at the Philly Pen Show a couple of years ago. They are really great pens, both models being lacquered brass, and have a nice weight in hand. So as not to hijack the thread, I'll stop there and post some pics on Monday in a new thread when I get back to the office and my pens,

0 1,136
 01-04-2014, 03:01 PM
  • freddy
User Info
(01-04-2014, 02:55 PM)Elendil Wrote: She loves It, Freddy. Santa brought a "Collegiate" #27 in Tennessee Orange with a medium steel nib. Santa also brought a bottle of iroshizuku Kon-Peki and a bottle of Private Reserve Lake Placid Blue. She loaded the converter with Kon-Peki and has been doing so much writing, that the first fill is almost empty.

I have used them as well, and have two #27, one with a regular medium nib and the other with a medium italic. I also have a #29, which has the magnetic cap, with a broad italic. I purchased the 29 direct from Scott Franklin at the Philly Pen Show a couple of years ago. They are really great pens, both models being lacquered brass, and have a nice weight in hand. So as not to hijack the thread, I'll stop there and post some pics on Monday in a new thread when I get back to the office and my pens,

I'll look forward to that. Smile

2 11,211
 01-05-2014, 10:58 PM
User Info
I'm glad ML likes the Kaweco. I have had my first one for about 3 years now and it still writes as well as it did out of the box. I continue to be impressed with these little pocket pens.

1 345
 01-06-2014, 08:22 AM
User Info
Great pen. I love all of mine.

3 285
 01-06-2014, 11:10 AM
  • krissy
  • Cando, North Dakota
User Info
I've been wanting one of these for awhile.... guess I'm going to have to bite the bullet and order one. You can't have too many pens right... (please say yes) as I have ordered I think 6-7 of them this winter already... One thing about pens that bothers me is when they get scratchy.... so that is a plus reading this review. The hard part.... deciding which color, chances are it will be red like many of my other pens...

7 405
 01-06-2014, 02:06 PM
  • freddy
User Info
(01-06-2014, 11:10 AM)krissy Wrote: I've been wanting one of these for awhile.... guess I'm going to have to bite the bullet and order one. You can't have too many pens right... (please say yes) as I have ordered I think 6-7 of them this winter already... One thing about pens that bothers me is when they get scratchy.... so that is a plus reading this review. The hard part.... deciding which color, chances are it will be red like many of my other pens...

Krissy, try tearing open a brown paper bag and just keep writing figure eights on it. If the nib isn't overly scratchy that might help to smooth it out a bit. However, like Pam, I have had my Kaweco Sport with an extra fine nib for more than three years now and that nib writes as smoothly today as the day I first took it out of the box.

2 11,211
 01-11-2014, 03:06 PM
  • warhawk
  • Beautiful NorthWest Florida
User Info
I love my Kaweco Sport. Matter of fact, I used it today.

WARHAWK

12 327