04-28-2012, 06:25 AM
User Info
I've got a new (to me) 11/16 Red Imp Wedge that looks like it hasn't ever been honed, but the blade needs a new bevel and edge. I think it's been laying around in a drawer somewhere for a long time, and looks to be in need of a good cleaning. I like the 3 pin scales. Usually I don't enjoy shaving with anything less than 6/8, but I'm curious about the heavier grind. This one's not a full wedge, appears to be more of a half or quarter ground blade. I'm wondering if anyone uses one of these, and what you think of it.

24 1,150
 04-28-2012, 09:20 AM
User Info
I have 4 hollow ground..and 1 full wedge..I would say less than the full wedge but something near it..hone it up n try it

0 31
 04-28-2012, 11:03 AM
  • Obie
  • Glendale, Wisconsin
User Info
Hello Gary,
It's good to see you here, my friend.
The Red Imp is a good razor, with good steel, and honed properly, it can be a sweet shave. I am guessing what you have is a 1/4 hollow. I had a hollow ground 6/8 Red Imp, which was a rarity with that size a blade, since most come in the 5/8 range, and to my regret gave it up. It's a good excuse to kick myself for my sin. Yes, have it honed properly and you'll soar with it.
Stay well,
Obie

132 2,614
 04-28-2012, 06:00 PM
User Info
I have a 5/8 near wedge and a 5/8 full hollow, both are good shavers, but I prefer the extra heft of the wedge. I rarely use them as my 6/8 1/4 hollow is so nice to use.

Have fun with the new blade, I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

9 451
 04-30-2012, 06:02 AM
User Info
I've had a few Red Imp wedge blades (not full wedges, as smalltank indicated). They're really nice razors, regardless of the actual maker (there were at least two makers of Red Imp blades).

It will shave well once it's honed. Nice pick up. Smile

37 1,731
 05-17-2012, 07:45 AM
User Info
(04-30-2012, 06:02 AM)yohannrjm Wrote: I've had a few Red Imp wedge blades (not full wedges, as smalltank indicated). They're really nice razors, regardless of the actual maker (there were at least two makers of Red Imp blades).

It will shave well once it's honed. Nice pick up. Smile

I got this Red Imp wedge from a local antique store a few weeks ago that had a couple of chips in it, re-honed it from scratch, and got as close to a perfect shave as I ever had.

0 282