01-04-2014, 05:03 PM
User Info
So anyone have any pointers for a better neck shave? I suffer from Coarse hair and Sensitive skin. Even going XTG gives me irritation and nicks. I use Proraso in case you are wondering.

0 295
 01-04-2014, 06:18 PM
User Info
I've only been at this for around six months, but for me the trickiest part of neck shaving was to really figure out the details of the grain in different areas so that I was able to stay WTG or only mildly XTG for the initial pass or two. On my neck, the grain changes direction almost almost 180 degrees around the top of my Adam's Apple. Also, WTG on my left lower neck is NS, but on my right lower neck it is more SE to NW.

The other thing that helped me was to think about the approximate facets or at least where the slope of the skin on your neck changes more dramatically so you can shift the blade angle appropriately at those boundaries. Between grokking the grain pattern and finding those slope changes, I was able to construct a pass pattern that was more shaveable for me.

Last but not least, in terms of passes, for quite a while I did fewer passes on the neck, and I kept my passes closer to WTG. So second pass might be at an angle half way between WTG and XTG and if I did a third pass it would be XTG as in 90 degrees relative to the direction of WTG.

Alan

0 3
 01-04-2014, 06:38 PM
  • tsimmns
  • Mississippi
User Info
I am like the OP. I have very coarse hair, a large adams apple and very thin skin on my neck. I always troubled using DE razors no matter what blade I tried. Now I only ever used a 34C and DE89, but I switched to an SE in the Cobra and I have never looked back. While you might not want to invest in the Cobra, I would definitely look into some sort of SE as the blades, for me at least, are more firm and have less of a tendecy to "flex" which might cause skipping which could lead to irritation on the neck area.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

15 970
 01-04-2014, 07:18 PM
User Info
I relate to this also. For me, the following points have been helpful:

- Understanding the grain & working with it (like post above). Some areas on my face, like my neck need to be treated more carefully, which includes never going straight against the grain.

- Good prep, which for me currently is using Myrsol Emulsion as a pre-shave, working the lather into my beard for at least a few minutes with a soap or cream that offers good skin care properties. I like Proraso, but you might want to experiment with a few to see how your skin reacts. I have found that choosing a brush with soft tips (no or very little scritch) helps

- Use a razor that works, which for me is the Cobra also. If I don't use my Cobra, it's another razor that is both sharp and smooth. The blade is important here too.

- Use fewer passes, for me it's 2 and a cleanup if needed

- Use light pressure / let the razor do the work

- Use an aftershave with good skin care properties, I use a few and currently also follow whatever I use with unrefined shea butter.

In conclusion I have found it's a mixture between technique and gear. The past few years have been a great learning period for both, and learning from others on this board has really helped accelerate that process.

Good luck & enjoy the journey!

191 1,552
 01-04-2014, 07:52 PM
User Info
I aprecciate the help but I lack the funds for a cobra or a straight right now. Guess I'll try the Conditioner trick.

0 295
 01-04-2014, 07:58 PM
User Info
I think lots of razors can get it done. What razor / blade do you currently use?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

... Trying different blades would definitely be a more cost effective step. As I mentioned, I get the best result with sharp and smooth.

191 1,552
 01-04-2014, 08:07 PM
User Info
(01-04-2014, 07:58 PM)waveflow Wrote: I think lots of razors can get it done. What razor / blade do you currently use?

... Trying different blades would definitely be a more cost effective step. As I mentioned, I get the best result with sharp and smooth.

Premax with a Wilkinson Sword. Used a Weber Bulldog Handle last few times, but I just got my Tradere. Plan on using it in 2 days. I cannot shave everyday, but I used Aubreys Organic as a pre-shave once and it was ok. Guess I will give it another shot. Tought about trying some Personna "Labs" but I am not sure that would be such a good combo with an OC head.

0 295
 01-04-2014, 08:15 PM
User Info
If you want, I can send you some blades to try, just PM me your address.

The Tradere is a great razor, which a lot of people like.

As for pre shaves, most of them did not work for me. I was pretty happy to find something that did work.

191 1,552
 01-04-2014, 08:44 PM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
I have found that a Gillette Fusion is really quite effective on the neck area and the blades last a long time for this use ...try it and you might be amazed....(even a Mach 3....still very popular in Europe and yes even Muhle and Joris make them as well as the Fusion....also Edwin Jagger)...they must know what sells and works to keep making them...don,t worry nobody will kick you off this Forum for trying them)

6 1,913
 01-04-2014, 09:16 PM
User Info
(01-04-2014, 07:52 PM)BigMark Wrote: I aprecciate the help but I lack the funds for a cobra or a straight right now. Guess I'll try the Conditioner trick.

A SE isn't a straight, it's a single edge safety razor. They can be had quite inexpensively, even on e-bay. But I'd keep my eyes open on the b/s/t section. Two good starter SE razors would be a GEM FeatherWeight or a G-Bar. They are plentiful and inexpensive. Locate one and put out the word for SE blades and I bet you'd have some winging to you in an envelope. It's happened before, many times.

32 6,311
 01-05-2014, 07:15 AM
User Info
(01-04-2014, 09:16 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote:
(01-04-2014, 07:52 PM)BigMark Wrote: I aprecciate the help but I lack the funds for a cobra or a straight right now. Guess I'll try the Conditioner trick.

A SE isn't a straight, it's a single edge safety razor. They can be had quite inexpensively, even on e-bay. But I'd keep my eyes open on the b/s/t section. Two good starter SE razors would be a GEM FeatherWeight or a G-Bar. They are plentiful and inexpensive. Locate one and put out the word for SE blades and I bet you'd have some winging to you in an envelope. It's happened before, many times.

Wow. Single Edge. I tend to forget that those exist.

(01-04-2014, 08:44 PM)Harvey Wrote: I have found that a Gillette Fusion is really quite effective on the neck area and the blades last a long time for this use ...try it and you might be amazed....(even a Mach 3....still very popular in Europe and yes even Muhle and Joris make them as well as the Fusion....also Edwin Jagger)...they must know what sells and works to keep making them...don,t worry nobody will kick you off this Forum for trying them)

I actually use to use a Fusion Proglide. Never thought I'd be told to try them out again. You guys really have me thinking about this now.

0 295
 01-05-2014, 01:15 PM
User Info
(01-05-2014, 07:15 AM)BigMark Wrote: I actually use to use a Fusion Proglide. Never thought I'd be told to try them out again. You guys really have me thinking about this now.

It's all about what what gives you the best shave. There is no right answer except what works for you.

9 1,199
 01-05-2014, 05:15 PM
User Info
It may help if you do a grain map of your beard.

[Image: duretuva.jpg]

0 33
 01-05-2014, 06:07 PM
User Info
I have my grain pretty much mapped out. Its just getting close with no nicks or burn. That's the hard part. I tried the J-hook which worked ok . It's just my beard swirls on parts of my neck. Drives me nuts. I might just might never get BBS on my neck.

0 295
 01-05-2014, 11:21 PM
User Info
(01-04-2014, 08:07 PM)BigMark Wrote:
(01-04-2014, 07:58 PM)waveflow Wrote: I think lots of razors can get it done. What razor / blade do you currently use?

Premax with a Wilkinson Sword. Used a Weber Bulldog Handle last few times, but I just got my Tradere. Plan on using it in 2 days. I cannot shave everyday, but I used Aubreys Organic as a pre-shave once and it was ok. Guess I will give it another shot. Tought about trying some Personna "Labs" but I am not sure that would be such a good combo with an OC head.

I haven't used an OC but I gather they are more aggressive. Ever tried a closed comb?

Apart from that, you may have to settle for less than BBS on your neck.

0 33
 01-06-2014, 12:59 AM
User Info
My neck is eaten alive by DE blades, I never go for a BBS. When I went to SE (Ever Ready/GEM or Feather Artist Club SS) all my woes went away and while I still don't chase the BBS it arrives itself as if by magic..

0 87
 01-06-2014, 08:05 AM
User Info
(01-05-2014, 11:21 PM)shanghaishaver Wrote:
(01-04-2014, 08:07 PM)BigMark Wrote:

I haven't used an OC but I gather they are more aggressive. Ever tried a closed comb?

Apart from that, you may have to settle for less than BBS on your neck.

Yeah my First razor a TTO. RazoRock. I really wanted to try an OC and the Premax was afforadable and not pot metal so I bought one. You may be right about the BBS. I just wish they still made SE razors, besides that I don't think there is a good variety of blades for them anyway. I know I can always buy a used one from an antique store .

0 295
 01-06-2014, 08:25 AM
User Info
here's a good and lengthy thread you can read if you've got some time: http://shavenook.com/thread-cannot-seem-...life-of-me

I also have very coarse and sensitive skin and happen to have 4 different hair directions on my neck.

while my shaves on my neck haven't been irritation free, I've reduced the irritation by only doing 1 pass on the lowest portion of my neck.

my solution right now: just grow a beard. Biggrin

40 5,830
 01-06-2014, 08:50 AM
User Info
(01-06-2014, 08:25 AM)andrewjs18 Wrote: here's a good and lengthy thread you can read if you've got some time: http://shavenook.com/thread-cannot-seem-...life-of-me

I also have very coarse and sensitive skin and happen to have 4 different hair directions on my neck.

while my shaves on my neck haven't been irritation free, I've reduced the irritation by only doing 1 pass on the lowest portion of my neck.

Well it seems the verdict is in. 1 pass, 2 max and no BBS. Oh well.

0 295
 01-06-2014, 09:04 AM
User Info
(01-06-2014, 08:50 AM)BigMark Wrote:
(01-06-2014, 08:25 AM)andrewjs18 Wrote: here's a good and lengthy thread you can read if you've got some time: http://shavenook.com/thread-cannot-seem-...life-of-me

Well it seems the verdict is in. 1 pass, 2 max and no BBS. Oh well.

unfortunately a BBS is just not realistic for some folks, including myself and probably you as well.

40 5,830