01-05-2014, 08:23 AM
User Info
This years January challenge shall live up to its moniker. The last 4 years I have started the year off with a sugar-free month. I've been successful and I've failed. Some shifts in diet should make the sugar-free aspect easier this year so I decided to add on a new aspect.

2013 saw me return to running at a nice consistency over the summer months. Sadly as the weather got colder and the days shorter I didn't fare well with my morning runs any longer. Highly motivated to make running fit in my schedule I have challenged myself to run a minimum of 2 miles each and every day of the month.

So there's my challenge to myself to start off 2014. No sugar or sugar-like foods for the entire month. Run at least 2 miles every day of the month.

How are you challenging/bettering yourself this year?

31 7,912
 01-05-2014, 12:04 PM
  • ojinsa
  • San Antonio
User Info
Great question. This year may mark a change in my work situation and may be giving up my self employed situation and may be re-engaging in the large firm culture and joining up with a big firm. So, professionally that change is on the horizon, probably within the next month or so.

Personally, I will be eating cleaner (by order of my wife), which will likely take on the form of a modified paleo diet.

27 860
 01-06-2014, 09:50 AM
User Info
Good luck! I'm running the Boston Marathon in April (a lifelong goal of mine), so almost by default I need to challenge myself in 2014. Looking at my schedule, there are some long, long runs on the horizon.

72 1,407
 01-06-2014, 10:37 AM
User Info
Sounds great fellas. Thanks for sharing. I wish you success with your endeavors.

While my diet goal is still going strong I've hit a stumbling block on the runs. The temps dropping colder than I've lived in and a slight health hiccup have caused me to miss my last couple runs. I look forward to getting back on track there in the next day or two.

31 7,912
 01-06-2014, 11:04 AM
  • Lradke
  • Edmonton, Alberta
User Info
I picked up running last year and fell in love with it; I even entered some races too. This year I'll expand on my running and become a triathlete! My goal is for 2015 is this:

Due to the half marathon at the end of the race, I was going to enter a Marathon here in Alberta, at the beginning of September, BUT I am going to do an olympic triathlon instead (here in Banff National Park). The training will be hard and intense to get ready for the triathlon, but I am assured by my cousin (who has competed in several Ironman events) that I should have no problem competing in the olympic triathlon this summer and the Ironman in 2015.

I am getting the feeling that training for triathlons will be better instead of the individual parts separately.

In a nutshell this is my goal, and how I am bettering myself. I will also be focusing on a low heart rate so I can 'endure' the endurance part of the race.

1 608
 01-06-2014, 11:40 AM
User Info
Wow, that's amazing. Godspeed in your training.

31 7,912
 01-06-2014, 12:31 PM
User Info
(01-06-2014, 11:04 AM)Lradke Wrote: I picked up running last year and fell in love with it; I even entered some races too. This year I'll expand on my running and become a triathlete! My goal is for 2015 is this:

Due to the half marathon at the end of the race, I was going to enter a Marathon here in Alberta, at the beginning of September, BUT I am going to do an olympic triathlon instead (here in Banff National Park). The training will be hard and intense to get ready for the triathlon, but I am assured by my cousin (who has competed in several Ironman events) that I should have no problem competing in the olympic triathlon this summer and the Ironman in 2015.

I am getting the feeling that training for triathlons will be better instead of the individual parts separately.

In a nutshell this is my goal, and how I am bettering myself. I will also be focusing on a low heart rate so I can 'endure' the endurance part of the race.

You're obviously "young" and have cartilage still left in your knees! Ha!! Good luck to everyone.

Brian, best of luck getting back and no sugar. The winter months are hard on all of us for those things so don't feel bad at all. I cut out most sugar about 6 months ago, but that darned ice cream keeps calling my name.....

9 1,199
 01-24-2014, 11:21 AM
  • Lradke
  • Edmonton, Alberta
User Info
I might as well post a quick update. I have 1 month of training in and my body is completely changing. Not only is it more muscular, but it is no longer craving junk food. I'd much rather have a tuna sandwich than a burger and fries.

I read that this would happen, but I didn't believe it...but now I'm living it. Biggrin

Training is slower than I would like. I think I'm fighting something off because I am very tired most days, though no other symptom has shown up. I've started swimming (specifically targeting the legs, as I need to redevelop those muscles) and it's going well. Running is running, I need to go out again soon...and I have found a bike to use when it warms up! Other than that my strength training is going well, I'm doing less, but it is more effective because I am doing the exercises correctly now.

I'll definitely be able to do the Ironman next year!

1 608
 01-24-2014, 11:56 AM
User Info
I'm at the age where running is just to hard on my knees/back so I have an elipitcal walker that I'm using 4x a week. Also starting some strengthening exercise.

Let myself go after dealing with cancer/blood clots in lungs a couple of years ago and need to get better. This might be just what is needed

4 952
 01-24-2014, 02:41 PM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
(01-24-2014, 11:21 AM)Lradke Wrote: I might as well post a quick update. I have 1 month of training in and my body is completely changing. Not only is it more muscular, but it is no longer craving junk food. I'd much rather have a tuna sandwich than a burger and fries.

I read that this would happen, but I didn't believe it...but now I'm living it. Biggrin

Training is slower than I would like. I think I'm fighting something off because I am very tired most days, though no other symptom has shown up. I've started swimming (specifically targeting the legs, as I need to redevelop those muscles) and it's going well. Running is running, I need to go out again soon...and I have found a bike to use when it warms up! Other than that my strength training is going well, I'm doing less, but it is more effective because I am doing the exercises correctly now.

Luke, with your spirit and training you'll definitely be Ironman ready! Thumbsup (Can't wait for the next hero movie starring Ironman Luke. Winky )

2 11,211
 01-24-2014, 02:51 PM
  • ojinsa
  • San Antonio
User Info
Well done Luke! You're off to a helluva start!

27 860
 01-24-2014, 02:53 PM
User Info
I've decided not to purchase any pop or chips this year, except for special occasions such as camping trips or our daughter graduation party.

The other plan is to run my first 5k this year. I've tried to do that before but always found excuses. Now I have my daughter joining me and we've decided to aim for one in late April. My conditioning too a hit when I added strength training and over did it to the point where I was too sore to train for a week. The second time out, same thing. Tonight I'm getting back to the gym and will cut back from 3 sets to 2 sets and just use the extra time for cardio.

I've had knee surgery so my cardio is the elliptical, but I run a few actual practice 5k's on the road before our April 5k.

0 836
 01-24-2014, 08:30 PM
  • Elendil
  • Raggedy man, good night
  • The snow's back.
User Info
I find myself with very limited time to train for a long race, though someday, I'll do a marathon. I squeeze in 3-5 milers as often as I can, so my goal this year is an aggregate of 500 miles. I tend to beat myself up when I'm not finding the time for my runs, so hopefully, this goal will help me take the long view.

0 1,136
 01-28-2014, 09:49 AM
User Info
I need to stick to my diet and start lifting weights.

I typically hit the treadmill 5X/week for 20-30 minutes, but that alone isn't enough for me to lose weight.

40 5,830
 01-28-2014, 12:23 PM
  • CRAusmus
  • Going from Texas to Georgia
User Info
(01-24-2014, 11:21 AM)Lradke Wrote: I might as well post a quick update. I have 1 month of training in and my body is completely changing. Not only is it more muscular, but it is no longer craving junk food. I'd much rather have a tuna sandwich than a burger and fries.

Which Ironman are planning on doing?

You're much braver than me. I got my swimming up to a mile, and I've always enjoyed running; but after my longest bike ride (65 miles) I knew an Ironman was never in the cards for me. I thought I was going to die at 65 miles. I could never imagine 112 miles. I'd do an olympic distance triathlon though in a heartbeat. I've done several sprints and they are fun, but an Ironman is a different breed of human all together. I have friends that have done them and they are incredibly fit and they almost missed the cut off on last years Ironman Arizona.

My goal is to start adventure racing. Much more enjoyable form of torture to me...

I've been resistance training for a couple of months and feeling really strong. I've not been running in almost 8 weeks and I'm going nuts. I plan to add running back in when it warms up. I was doing about 40 miles a week, but it will be considerable less when I start back up.

Edit: I see Ironman Calgary. Sounds like a great race. I think you'll enjoy the Olympic distance. In my opinion it's the perfect distance Triathlon.

14 1,177
 01-28-2014, 07:18 PM
  • Sully
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Cedar Park, Texas
User Info
My goals this year are to get more cardio and to lift weights. I hit the gym after school on Tuesdays and Thursdays and get a good amount of cardio. I plan to add a weight training program, I just need the weather to cooperate.

7 1,018