01-05-2014, 07:42 PM
User Info
Does anyone have any reccomendations for preventing rust on strainless steel razors such as a Weber? It just seems the matte finish is a magnet for corrosion. A dip in mineral oil perhaps , or some vaseline? Perhaps not leaving it in the bathroom?

0 295
 01-05-2014, 07:55 PM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
I always remove my blades between uses. I believe this is the single most common cause of rusting (blades left in razors). I also disassemble my razor and thoroughly rinse and dry (with a towel) after each use. Stainless equals stain LESS and NOT stain proof...

91 17,798
 01-05-2014, 07:56 PM
User Info
Mark, I used to think this sounded excessive, but it's what I do now after every shave:

-disassemble razor
-rinse blade and razor
-hand strop the blade 2 times on each edge
-pat dry blade
-dry disassembled razor
-reassemble razor

No issues with rust ever, and I think the routine helps with the blade longevity.

47 1,270
 01-05-2014, 08:27 PM
User Info
I disassemble and dry a razor and the blade between uses. I don't bother removing the blade (stainless also), and I've never had rust. If I am going to leave the razor unused for awhile, I brush its parts very lightly with sewing machine oil.

183 12,002
 01-05-2014, 09:12 PM
User Info
I also have never experienced rust on any of my stainless steel razors. I do disassemble the razor and remove the blade, rinse and dry and have never encountered any issues in over 2 years. I have never considered applying any mineral oil to them, but I don't see that hurting the razor in any way.

75 20,883
 01-06-2014, 06:17 AM
  • evnpar
  • Super Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
I guess that I've been fortunate as I don't disassemble my stainless razors after use and haven't experienced rust with a Feather blade. If I ever do, I'll start adding that extra step to my routine.

34 4,507
 01-06-2014, 07:57 AM
User Info
(01-05-2014, 07:55 PM)ben74 Wrote: I always remove my blades between uses. I believe this is the single most common cause of rusting (blades left in razors). I also disassemble my razor and thoroughly rinse and dry (with a towel) after each use. Stainless equals stain LESS and NOT stain proof...

I kinda figured that out the hard way about Stainless Steel. Sad

0 295
 01-06-2014, 10:05 AM
User Info
Its not rust; they are colloquially called "tea stains." Its a cosmetic corrosion that doesn't affect the stainless steel itself. Its more of a buildup. I've found that using a cleaner like Scrubbing Bubbles and a toothbrush occasionally does the trick.

I hate having to go through routines (i.e. routines like having to remove the blade and either store it separately or wipe it down), so I just leave the razor be and every once and awhile clean it using Scrubbing Bubbles.

72 1,407
 01-06-2014, 10:43 AM
User Info
I usually just rinse the razor when done shaving with the blade still in it. I never had any problems until I got a Joris. It seems the nice plating on the Joris does encourage rust stains.
I'm not sure if it's the blade or the razor. That's the only razor I take apart after each shave and dry.

5 1,332
 01-06-2014, 11:46 AM
User Info
(01-06-2014, 10:43 AM)shave/brush Wrote: I usually just rinse the razor when done shaving with the blade still in it. I never had any problems until I got a Joris. It seems the nice plating on the Joris does encourage rust stains.
I'm not sure if it's the blade or the razor. That's the only razor I take apart after each shave and dry.

* Well, the Joris is not a stainless steel razor, so it is interesting that you had rust on the head. Is it common for brass to develop rust?

75 20,883
 01-06-2014, 12:08 PM
User Info
Whether you leave the blade in or take it out after each use, when you put the razor back together and screw the handle together, don't screw it tight. Just barely screw it in to leave lots of room for the parts to dry. It also puts less stress on the razor while it sits waiting on its next use.

9 1,199
 01-06-2014, 02:08 PM
User Info
(01-06-2014, 11:46 AM)celestino Wrote: [quote='shave/brush' pid='333366' dateline='1389033795']
I usually just rinse the razor when done shaving with the blade still in it. I never had any problems until I got a Joris. It seems the nice plating on the Joris does encourage rust stains.

"* Well, the Joris is not a stainless steel razor, so it is interesting that you had rust on the head. Is it common for 'pot-metal' to develop rust?"

The Joris is not made from "pot-metal". It is brass, plated with palladium. This seems to be a common problem with their palladium plated razors.

5 1,332
 01-06-2014, 02:18 PM
User Info
(01-06-2014, 02:08 PM)shave/brush Wrote: The Joris is not made from "pot-metal". It is brass, plated with palladium. This seems to be a common problem with their palladium plated razors.

* Thanks for the information. Is Palladium more susceptible to rust?

75 20,883
 01-06-2014, 02:21 PM
User Info
(01-06-2014, 02:08 PM)shave/brush Wrote:
(01-06-2014, 11:46 AM)celestino Wrote: [quote='shave/brush' pid='333366' dateline='1389033795']

"* Well, the Joris is not a stainless steel razor, so it is interesting that you had rust on the head. Is it common for 'pot-metal' to develop rust?"

The Joris is not made from "pot-metal". It is brass, plated with palladium. This seems to be a common problem with their palladium plated razors.

He's right dude. I have a premax head, the same as the Joris, they are made from brass. I have read that the finish on the Joris is much nicer though. Shame I will nevver know.

0 295
 01-06-2014, 03:10 PM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
I have never had a rust issue with either a stainless steel or chrome/nickel razor. After each shave I thoroughly rinse out the razor with the blade intact. After 4-5 uses I remove the blade and clean the razor and leave it disassembled until dry then move on to the next razor in rotation. Even when my water was hard rust was not present. Maybe its luck I don't know.

100 12,437
 01-06-2014, 03:15 PM
User Info
It just occured to me. Would giving it a swish in alcohol help? The alcohol should help with evaporation. Call me crazy but i dipped my brush in alcohol once and it helped it dry out.

0 295
 01-06-2014, 08:12 PM
  • Blue line
  • East Central Alabama
User Info
Check out Sentry Solutions. They have a cloth that is impregnated with a dry lube that the knife guys race about.

2 334
 01-06-2014, 09:43 PM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
(01-06-2014, 03:15 PM)BigMark Wrote: It just occured to me. Would giving it a swish in alcohol help? The alcohol should help with evaporation. Call me crazy but i dipped my brush in alcohol once and it helped it dry out.

I reserve the odd drop of alcohol exclusively for consumption (as my red wine tends to stain the razor)... Tongue

91 17,798
 01-07-2014, 12:33 AM
  • RobE
  • NY USA
User Info
Why would rust or staining occur, unless you're leaving the razor sitting in a wet/humid environment?

Some borderline obsessive folks (like me) always remove the blade, disassemble and clean and dry everything (between shaves), and then store the hardware in a dry place until needed again...

but no matter... if you are leaving any type of steel shaving hardware in a humid area (even if it's just overnight, or for a day or three), leave it all to sit in a container of soapy water. I assure you, there will not be any sign of rust or staining... and absolutely no need to use oil or alcohol.

Known from years (long ago) spent in metal finishing. All type of steel, brass, and aluminum parts.

17 290
 01-07-2014, 08:12 AM
  • Songwind
  • Soap Slinger & Scuttle Pusher
  • Burnsville, MN
User Info
(01-05-2014, 08:27 PM)churchilllafemme Wrote: I disassemble and dry a razor and the blade between uses. I don't bother removing the blade (stainless also), and I've never had rust. If I am going to leave the razor unused for awhile, I brush its parts very lightly with sewing machine oil.

How do you disassemble it without removing the blade? Huh

(01-06-2014, 02:18 PM)celestino Wrote: * Thanks for the information. Is Palladium more susceptible to rust?

Wikipedia says: "Palladium does not react with oxygen at normal temperatures (and thus does not tarnish in air)." Palladium is used to coat other white metals, like silver, to keep them tarnish free.

Maybe your coating is thin enough in spots to allow brass tarnish to show up?

10 1,858