01-06-2014, 07:19 AM
  • tsimmns
  • Mississippi
User Info
Recently I acquired a Simpsons Commodore X2 in Best Badger via a trade with someone from the forum. I have used it almost exclusivley since it arrived and I must say I love it. I have other badger brushes, but this brush feels much differnt. First, it loads trippled milled soaps like DR Harris with ease. Second, it whips up a nice creamy lather in seconds. Third, it retains a lot of water, so adding water during the lathering process is hardly needed.

I also acquired the Simpsons TSN P8 the day before Christmas and while I love the looks of it, I have yet to even use it because of the way this Commodore X2 feels. While it may be made in best badger, it definitely feels amazing on the face.

15 970
 01-06-2014, 07:26 AM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Simpsons Best is best! Biggrin Congratulations on your new AD!

Now go and try your P8! You will love it too! Heart

91 17,851
 01-06-2014, 07:45 AM
  • Agravic
  • Emeritus
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
The P8 has proven to be an efficient workhorse in my den ... producing ample lather with whatever soap it's presented with.

I'm quite pleased with the Simpson Best brushes ... and plan to acquire more in due time. They don't get as much attention as their 'high-profile' siblings do, but deserve credit for their superb performance at a reasonable price.

102 17,670
 01-06-2014, 07:54 AM
  • tsimmns
  • Mississippi
User Info
Ravi, I think I will give the P8 a go soon. However, I just can't get enough of this Commodore X2. I wonder if using the same brush every day though gives it ample time to dry as I'd hate to overwork the thing.

Ben, I am sure I will love the P8 as well. However, it looks so beautiful I hate to even use it almost. It's kinda like TSN Semogue brush I bought from the BST here brand new #23. I have yet to use it since acquiring it either. They are both sitting in their boxes waiting for their initial use.

15 970
 01-06-2014, 08:03 AM
  • Agravic
  • Emeritus
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
I understand your admiration for the beauty of these brushes, however my philosophy is that as lovely as they are, these brushes were/are meant to be used, and with use they become even more attractive. Smile

102 17,670
 01-06-2014, 08:49 AM
User Info
Great to hear you are enjoying the brush, but I don't know how you can have been using the Phyl 8, yet! I could never have a new brush at home and not give it a try! Biggrin
Why not rotate the two every other day for awhile, then you can see how they both feel?
Good luck.

75 20,883
 01-06-2014, 08:52 AM
  • tsimmns
  • Mississippi
User Info
(01-06-2014, 08:49 AM)celestino Wrote: Great to hear you are enjoying the brush, but I don't know how you can have been using the Phyl 8, yet! I could never have a new brush at home and not give it a try! Biggrin
Why not rotate the two every other day for awhile, then you can see how they both feel?
Good luck.

I guess I'm just quirky like thatBiggrin I once bought a pair of tennis shoes while I was stationed in Pensacola, FL in 2006. I didn't start wearing them until about a year later. I liked them so much I wore them up until last year when I had to retire them as the soles were falling apart. Needless to say, they don't make Nike Shox like they did back then.Confused

15 970
 01-06-2014, 09:16 AM
User Info
After receiving a new brush, it hits the mug of water within 10 minutes. Talk about restraint! You're disciplined!!

Bryan
Head shaver

12 715
 01-06-2014, 10:19 AM
User Info
Congrats & welcome to the Simpson fan club!

I am with the others, get that Phyl 8 wet and give it a shot.

63 2,128
 01-06-2014, 10:24 AM
  • Barrylu
  • Portland OR
User Info
I always kept the food item I liked most on the corner of my plate. I saved this item to eat last almost like desert. When my kids were small ,invariably, at some point during the meal a little hand would slip into my plate and my prize morsel would disappear. Lesson learned use the brushes now while you can enjoy them.

57 917
 01-06-2014, 10:38 AM
  • tsimmns
  • Mississippi
User Info
(01-06-2014, 10:24 AM)Barrylu Wrote: I always kept the food item I liked most on the corner of my plate. I saved this item to eat last almost like desert. When my kids were small ,invariably, at some point during the meal a little hand would slip into my plate and my prize morsel would disappear. Lesson learned use the brushes now while you can enjoy them.

Barry this sounds exactly like me. I eat my meals in parts: as in all the meat, then all the beans, then all the potatoes, etc. Not sure if this is something I picked up in military training from having to eat so fast or what.

I will more than likely take the P8 for it's first lather tomorrow or at sometime. Until then, I will look at my number tonight so I can be added to the list.

15 970
 01-06-2014, 09:29 PM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
(01-06-2014, 08:03 AM)Agravic Wrote: I understand your admiration for the beauty of these brushes, however my philosophy is that as lovely as they are, these brushes were/are meant to be used, and with use they become even more attractive. Smile

Agreed, the perfect element of this passion is that the tools are both beautiful and functional at the same time.

IMO it is with use that they develop characteristics and become truly personalised. This process of enrichment through use is what makes them extra special and valuable to family members as heirlooms filled with memories and handed down to the next generation of shavers (as opposed to unused and NIB museum relics attractive primarily to collectors)...

91 17,851