01-06-2014, 05:29 PM
User Info
I recently purchased a Chubby 3 "Best" from the BST on another forum.

Many people, including myself, questioned the province of this brush (in a complimentary way) because of its hair color.

Well, today the brush arrived here in the US from New Zealand. It took just over a week, which is pretty impressive.

Here are a few pictures I snapped. The first shows it next to 2 current Simpson Chubby 2s. A Best and a 2 Band Super. Notice handle color difference and hair color differences. The hair is slightly damp in this photo, as I had just washed it for tomorrows shave.

[Image: 6juC3sl.jpg]
[Image: 17uKkY7.jpg]

I can tell you a few things immediately.

1. The hair in this brush is not Simpson Best hair. Or at least not in any way related to Simpson current Best hair.
2. I do not know what kind of hair this is. Its not like current 2 band and its not like Super 3 Band, Silvertip, or Super 2 Band. I have never used a manchurian or pure, so I cannot give a comparison on those.
3. The handle color is not anywhere near Simpson current handle color. It is definitely pinker.

The original seller said that he just purchased it recently from a Simpson stockist. So, does anyone have any ideas on this brush?

10 98
 01-06-2014, 06:29 PM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
I can tell you a few things too...

The pinkish hue to the rod stock is indicative of older handle material.

Simpson about 2 years ago sold a lot of these coloured handles (especially to Jarrod at The Superior Shave) and referred to them as "Somerset era" (presumably on account of the aged appearance).

I've owned a few of these pinkish hued Simpson brushes, including a Chubby 3 (3 band Super).

[Image: 9oeg7bp.png]

As for the hair grade, at the same time, Super 2 band hair was being used in handles marked as Best. The MilkChurn was a perfect example and again sold at The Superior Shave. I owned of these too.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=12718] [Image: attachment.php?aid=12719]

Finally what you have is a wonderful brush, that in every way is authentically Simpson...

91 17,850
 01-06-2014, 06:49 PM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
More images illustrating the colour range of Simpson standard rod stock...

[Image: poGdA8D.png]

[Image: MnOCtBr.png]

[Image: attachment.php?aid=13671]

91 17,850
 01-06-2014, 06:53 PM
User Info
Incredibly helpful and informative posts, Ben.

The hair in the Milk Churn definitely most closely resembles the hair in my CH3.

To you, how did the 2 band in the Milk Churn compare to the current 2 band; it looks quote different from my current production CH2 2 Band.

10 98
 01-06-2014, 06:54 PM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
And both these Polos are pre Vulfix, see how white the tips are, especially note that the PL 10 (pictured left) is Best.

[Image: ffPguu8.png]

I owned both these brushes and the PL10 (Best) was as soft as the PL12 (Super).

Again, note the variation in handle colour.

91 17,850
 01-06-2014, 06:59 PM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
(01-06-2014, 06:53 PM)Manning Wrote: Incredibly helpful and informative posts, Ben.

The hair in the Milk Churn definitely most closely resembles the hair in my CH3.

To you, how did the 2 band in the Milk Churn compare to the current 2 band; it looks quote different from my current production CH2 2 Band.

Simpson 2 band hair originally was soft tipped. It then became a little hit and miss until last year. Now it is consistently soft tipped again. The hair in the MC and your CH3 I would presume to be from similar batches and hence perform and feel similarly. Both were from a few years ago and both should feature the soft tips and not be reminiscent of the scratchier versions that had been appearing periodically up until about mid last year.

91 17,850
 01-06-2014, 07:00 PM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Looking back at these pics, there are MANY brushes I regret parting with...

91 17,850
 01-06-2014, 07:58 PM
User Info
Congratulations on a fine looking brush!

Interesting on how much smaller the Chubby 3 knot seems compared to the Chubby 2 2-band!

75 20,883
 01-06-2014, 09:16 PM
  • LORDBISHOP
  • Lover of the Wet Shaving way of Life
  • Westchester, NY
User Info
I have looked at a few (3 from memory) Simpson Best grade labelled brushes, that certainly are their own unique 2-band hair, differing in dry feel and slightly in appearance from "marked Super 2-Bands"...These were being sold at Best hair grade prices in strictly Best labelled boxes at a couple Simpson retail brick and mortar stores here in NY. The hair appeared the same in all three of these unique Best non labelled 2-bands... When compared to the brushes marked "Super 2-bands" in store at the time these Best 2-bands had three noticeable differences...1) Tips were more of a creamy/yellow in color, 2) the hair's tips felt less soft at least while dry, and 3) All three had longer,slightly more pointy lofts compared to any other Simpson brushes I have looked at in any grade hair offered(100's of examples now). These are very interesting anomalies, as I do know that Simpson has most definitely sold "Best" labelled handles with Super 2-Band hair and are labelled as two bands on their boxes...the Milk Churn box shown above in Ben's post is the first two band Best labelled Simpson other than the three diff. models I have seen in person that was not labelled two band on the box. Very interesting/unique/cool... The plot thickens Huh

4 792
 01-06-2014, 11:54 PM
User Info
Congrats on a sweet new (to you) Simpson. Ben beat us to it, a somerset stock handle well known for their pinkish hue and gorgeous two band super stuffed in a handle labeled "best" badger. I too had a pretty two band milk churn in a handle labeled "best".

63 2,128
 01-07-2014, 04:26 PM
User Info
To me, it looks like the entire handle (not just the rod stock) is Somerset made (no lampblack though obviously). To top half is more slanted and the lip more pronounced than the Isle of Man version. The difference can be seen clearly in Ben's line up.

30 275
 01-07-2014, 09:26 PM
User Info
Hmm, you are right Aaron, it does appear to be a true somerset handle with current Simpson stamping.

63 2,128
 01-08-2014, 05:09 AM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
I disagree, unlikely to be true Somerset Era.

There are 3 distinct Eras in Simpson history (based on ownership):

1. Somerset (1941 - 1990)
2. Carter
3. Vulfix

Obviously Simpson began in 1919, based in Macaulay Road, London from 1919 -1929, then High Street, Clapham, London from 1929 - 1940 and was under original ownership from 1919 until 1990 when the business was sold to David Carter. So, London (1919 - 1940) is another useful sub Era in terms of dating brushes.

As a point of reference, both the second from the left and second from the right brushes below are Carter Era and the remaining are Vulfix...

[Image: poGdA8D.png]

David Carter, gave us the "Rover" and the first "Manchurian" which was originally labelled "Extra Super"...

91 17,850
 01-08-2014, 07:46 AM
User Info
(01-08-2014, 05:09 AM)ben74 Wrote: I disagree, unlikely to be true Somerset Era.

Sorry, by "Somerset", I meant from the David Carter period.

30 275
 01-08-2014, 04:37 PM
User Info
Here are a few more pictures of the brush completely dry. Not quite as pointy as when wet obviously.

Also, this particular 2 band brush also came in a box labeled as best . . . for whatever that is worth.

The handle is curvier than my other Chubby brushes. The lip is also more pronounced.

Its measurements are about 30.5mm knot with about a 50mm loft. In comparison, the Chubby 2 above has a 30mm knot with a loft of 48mm. I think the CH2 knot just looks a lot bigger because of the short loft and lower white band.

As for the hair, it is definitely "scrubbier" than the CH2, but also more dense. Because of this fact, the higher loft is quite welcome. I would also say that it has more backbone. In comparison to regular Simpson best it is definitely softer. There is no doubt the hair is more akin to any 2 band than pure, best, silvertip etc.. In sum, its definitely not like any other brush I own.

[Image: cSHAJD0.jpg]

10 98
 01-08-2014, 04:58 PM
User Info
It is a clearly a 2 Band of whatever era.

31 1,554
 01-08-2014, 05:33 PM
User Info
I too meant Carter era, which is still somerset.

63 2,128
 01-08-2014, 08:02 PM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
It really isn't of any concern to me, but I'm fairly certain Gary Young would make the distinction. However, the time at which they were re-sold is during Vulfix ownership. Perhaps Mark might be in a position to provide further clarity? The handle stock IMO definitely is before Vulfix acquisition, but the knots to me look post Vulfix...

91 17,850
 01-08-2014, 08:16 PM
User Info
So the mystery continues! Biggrin

I have seen numerous brushes of the somerset rod stock being sold by the current ownership, but never have I seen the Somerset/Carter era shape stuffed with a modern knot. You make a good point Ben, the knot does look to be a Vulfix knot for sure. Maybe Mark and Vulfix took ownership of some already turned handles and stuffed them with the modern two band hair.?? Mark?

63 2,128
 01-08-2014, 08:53 PM
User Info
That handle sure looks sweet! Smile

75 20,883