01-07-2014, 04:30 AM
  • Striky
  • Reipå, Norway
User Info
Just finished breaking in an SOC boar, and a Simpsons Duke 2 in best is next. How long does it usually take to break in this brush?

7 858
 01-07-2014, 05:27 AM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
(01-07-2014, 04:30 AM)Striky Wrote: Just finished breaking in an SOC boar, and a Simpsons Duke 2 in best is next. How long does it usually take to break in this brush?

No more than a week of use I'd suggest. Badger certainly doesn't require the same effort and patience associated with boar.

91 17,846
 01-07-2014, 05:55 AM
User Info
Mainly will just be getting the knot to open up after a few uses. Badger isn't like boar so there won't be any tip splitting.

31 7,912
 01-07-2014, 06:20 AM
  • TheMonk
  • Super Moderator
  • Porto, Portugal
User Info
(01-07-2014, 05:27 AM)ben74 Wrote: No more than a week of use I'd suggest. Badger certainly doesn't require the same effort and patience associated with boar.

(01-07-2014, 05:55 AM)SharpSpine Wrote: Mainly will just be getting the knot to open up after a few uses. Badger isn't like boar so there won't be any tip splitting.

What they said. Rolleyes

25 4,638
 01-07-2014, 08:01 AM
  • Barrylu
  • Portland OR
User Info
True. However, I have one Simpson which has proven to be an anomaly. It is an Emperor 3 in Manchurian badger. At first I hated it. After one month and multiple hand latherings it started to get good. I've had it 4 or 5 months now and use it twice or 3 times a month. It continues to improve. The brush is still not one of my favorites. However, as long as it continues to improve it can stay. I also once had a Cubby 2 super that took about a month to break in.
Does anyone else have a Badger that has acted this way?

57 917
 01-07-2014, 08:15 AM
User Info
I have a Duke 2 LE in best, it's a fantastic brush. I took it travelling for a month, after two weeks of continual use it was nice, one month and it was heaven. The handle shape and size is perfect for face lathering, I like the handle better than the Chubby 1 or Duke 3.

21 459
 01-07-2014, 08:46 AM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(01-07-2014, 08:15 AM)mixershave Wrote: I have a Duke 2 LE in best, it's a fantastic brush. I took it travelling for a month, after two weeks of continual use it was nice, one month and it was heaven. The handle shape and size is perfect for face lathering, I like the handle better than the Chubby 1 or Duke 3.

Thats been my experience with some Simpson best badger brushes : some take more than one or two weeks to break in , but after a month , you are experiencing a new brush compare to how it felt during its first week of use.

I will tell you go for , at least , 2 weeks , of regular use.

86 7,123
 01-07-2014, 11:23 PM
  • Striky
  • Reipå, Norway
User Info
(01-07-2014, 05:27 AM)ben74 Wrote: No more than a week of use I'd suggest. Badger certainly doesn't require the same effort and patience associated with boar.

(01-07-2014, 05:55 AM)SharpSpine Wrote: Mainly will just be getting the knot to open up after a few uses. Badger isn't like boar so there won't be any tip splitting.

I'm aware that it does not take as much time and effort with badger as with boar. My SOC took a long time, but it was a pleasure Smile

(01-07-2014, 08:01 AM)Barrylu Wrote: True. However, I have one Simpson which has proven to be an anomaly. It is an Emperor 3 in Manchurian badger. At first I hated it. After one month and multiple hand latherings it started to get good. I've had it 4 or 5 months now and use it twice or 3 times a month. It continues to improve. The brush is still not one of my favorites. However, as long as it continues to improve it can stay. I also once had a Cubby 2 super that took about a month to break in.
Does anyone else have a Badger that has acted this way?

(01-07-2014, 08:15 AM)mixershave Wrote: I have a Duke 2 LE in best, it's a fantastic brush. I took it travelling for a month, after two weeks of continual use it was nice, one month and it was heaven. The handle shape and size is perfect for face lathering, I like the handle better than the Chubby 1 or Duke 3.

(01-07-2014, 08:46 AM)Teiste Wrote: Thats been my experience with some Simpson best badger brushes : some take more than one or two weeks to break in , but after a month , you are experiencing a new brush compare to how it felt during its first week of use.

I will tell you go for , at least , 2 weeks , of regular use.

Thank you guys. As I only shave every other day, I will use it regular for three to four weeks. I think this will be a fantastic little brush Smile

7 858
 02-22-2014, 09:37 AM
  • Striky
  • Reipå, Norway
User Info
Used it for a month now. This is my second badger (been a boar guy since my first boar brush). My first badger was a cheap one, with a lot of scratch. I was surprised about the Duke right out of the box. Softer then expected. After two weeks it had got alot softer too. Now it was very nice. After four weeks, it was even better. Guess my Duke in best needed 4 weeks of breaking in Smile

7 858
 02-22-2014, 10:31 AM
User Info
My advice.

If you are dealing with some of the more soft type of badger hair, give it at least 5-6 shaves, also to remove the odor (if any)

Badger hair brushes, even the soft ones, takes a little time to break in. I've had badger brushes that felt awesome right out of the box after the inital rinse - but with that said, I still feel you really will know how the brush behaves after 5-6 shaves.

5-6 shaves also depends on whther you face lather or bowl lather - so I say at least 5-6 shaves.

Some of my softer badger brushes continues to get softer and softer, the harder stiffer badgers get softer with usage.

My Chaubby 2 in Best felt GREAT right out of the box, after the initial rinse. But this brush is a limited edtion, and I have a feeling it was stuffed with the softes Best hair you can get your hands on, frankly I think it's a combo of the best Best hair from Simpson and the Super Silvertip hair from Simpson.

I also own a P8 Best hair brush, and this is more like the Duke 2 and Duke 3 I used to own in Best hair. A little rougher, a little more scrath - but still an awesome brush for face lathering (I don't bowl lather anymore)

My Chubby 2 in Best has become more like a 2-Band but with a backbone from one of the new Manchurians, truly an amzing brush.
My P8 in Best have onyl been used for 5 shaves, so not really quite broken in yet, but I feel this can become a staple in any mans shaving brush collection. A nice solid beautiful brush with some backbone, that I think will get softer and softer and be just about perfect after maybe 25-30 face lather shaves.

I have little knowledge of boar brushes - but I know they need to be used for 25-50 shaves before they are broken completely in and hairs are split - boars are just not for me, but people that claim badger don't need break in, they have not owned brushes with the more rough badger hair like Manchurian (pre 2013), Shavemac D01 2-Band and Semogue 2-Band Finest badger.

22 5,057
 02-22-2014, 10:47 AM
  • Striky
  • Reipå, Norway
User Info
(02-22-2014, 10:31 AM)CHSeifert Wrote: My advice.

If you are dealing with some of the more soft type of badger hair, give it at least 5-6 shaves, also to remove the odor (if any)

Badger hair brushes, even the soft ones, takes a little time to break in. I've had badger brushes that felt awesome right out of the box after the inital rinse - but with that said, I still feel you really will know how the brush behaves after 5-6 shaves.

5-6 shaves also depends on whther you face lather or bowl lather - so I say at least 5-6 shaves.

Some of my softer badger brushes continues to get softer and softer, the harder stiffer badgers get softer with usage.

My Chaubby 2 in Best felt GREAT right out of the box, after the initial rinse. But this brush is a limited edtion, and I have a feeling it was stuffed with the softes Best hair you can get your hands on, frankly I think it's a combo of the best Best hair from Simpson and the Super Silvertip hair from Simpson.

I also own a P8 Best hair brush, and this is more like the Duke 2 and Duke 3 I used to own in Best hair. A little rougher, a little more scrath - but still an awesome brush for face lathering (I don't bowl lather anymore)

My Chubby 2 in Best has become more like a 2-Band but with a backbone from one of the new Manchurians, truly an amzing brush.
My P8 in Best have onyl been used for 5 shaves, so not really quite broken in yet, but I feel this can become a staple in any mans shaving brush collection. A nice solid beautiful brush with some backbone, that I think will get softer and softer and be just about perfect after maybe 25-30 face lather shaves.

I have little knowledge of boar brushes - but I know they need to be used for 25-50 shaves before they are broken completely in and hairs are split - boars are just not for me, but people that claim badger don't need break in, they have not owned brushes with the more rough badger hair like Manchurian (pre 2013), Shavemac D01 2-Band and Semogue 2-Band Finest badger.

Good reading here, Clause. Thank you for your thoughts. I forgot to say that this brush have been only face lathered. This because I feel it is perfect for face lathering.

I have broken in plenty boars now, so I have a bit knowledge on them. Some like boars, others badger. I actually like both types. I choose the best one based on what I'm after for the specific shave.

7 858
 02-23-2014, 05:13 AM
User Info
All bets are off when it comes to Simpson pure I know it's not really being discussed here but boy oh boy. I bought a pre Vulfix Beaufort Ill be working on that one for a bit.

7 156
 02-23-2014, 05:57 AM
  • Shaun
  • St Peters, NSW, Australia
User Info
Chubby 2 in Best took a long while...but my technique may have improved after all this time. MORE PRODUCT!!!! Now it's shedding a bit...wasn't at first..sigh...but I expect it will pass and settle again.

0 1,624
 02-24-2014, 03:10 PM
User Info
Mine felt great straight out the box. The newer Simpsons (red box) seem to require less breaking in than the older ones. Has anyone else noticed that?

0 37
 02-24-2014, 10:12 PM
User Info
I have a Case that's taking it's time to come into it's own... My CH1 was good to go after 4 shaves so I hoped this brush would be similar. I'll keep on it, but I'll be packing my Wee Scot on my next trip if it keeps being stubborn. Confused

20 157
 02-25-2014, 12:54 AM
  • Striky
  • Reipå, Norway
User Info
(02-24-2014, 03:10 PM)ajpurdon Wrote: Mine felt great straight out the box. The newer Simpsons (red box) seem to require less breaking in than the older ones. Has anyone else noticed that?

Mine came in a grey box (purchased a year ago) so I don't know about the ones in the red boxes. However, I think mine was pretty good right out of the box also (for a badger). But got alot better after two weeks. And even better after 4 weeks.

7 858
 02-26-2014, 03:24 PM
User Info
(02-24-2014, 10:12 PM)Fastback Wrote: I have a Case that's taking it's time to come into it's own... My CH1 was good to go after 4 shaves so I hoped this brush would be similar. I'll keep on it, but I'll be packing my Wee Scot on my next trip if it keeps being stubborn. Confused
I had the same issue with the case in best. Mine never really broke in so after 6 months I reknotted with a 16mm TGN finest and it's awesome. Worth considering I think.

0 37