01-07-2014, 06:15 PM
User Info
I am more than certain you fine people can help me. I am intrested in purchasing a vintage safety razor. The issue is which one is right. I want one that is neither to mild nor to agressive. I'd prefer a Gillette. Thanks.

0 295
 01-07-2014, 06:29 PM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
Have you tried a SuperSpeed? Middle of the road razor.

88 4,233
 01-07-2014, 06:33 PM
User Info
(01-07-2014, 06:29 PM)beartrap Wrote: Have you tried a SuperSpeed? Middle of the road razor.

No. I do not intend to be rude but do you know of any 3 Peice models?

0 295
 01-07-2014, 06:37 PM
  • Triad
  • Triad Razor Handles
  • Texas
User Info
Gillette New Short Comb

115 1,692
 01-07-2014, 06:52 PM
  • matloffm
  • Culver City, CA
User Info
All the Gillette razors I have used I would describe as middle of the road. These include: Old type, New type, Tech, SuperSpeed. Of course, you can get an adjustable and decide what setting you like.

16 545
 01-07-2014, 06:54 PM
  • Giorgio
  • Pennsylvania, US
User Info
I'd also vote for the Gillette Old Type. Does an outstanding job for me...one of my favorites. Not too aggressive, but I also don't think it would be considered mild IMO...

29 1,581
 01-07-2014, 06:57 PM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
For 3 piece, I'd also try a New, either short comb (more aggressive) or long comb (less aggressive). With very affordable prices on some vintage Gillettes, I'd pick up a few and try it.

88 4,233
 01-07-2014, 09:24 PM
User Info
(01-07-2014, 06:57 PM)beartrap Wrote: For 3 piece, I'd also try a New, either short comb (more aggressive) or long comb (less aggressive).

+1

75 20,883
 01-08-2014, 10:35 AM
User Info
(01-07-2014, 06:52 PM)matloffm Wrote: All the Gillette razors I have used I would describe as middle of the road. These include: Old type, New type, Tech, SuperSpeed. Of course, you can get an adjustable and decide what setting you like.

I suffer form coarse facial hair but sensitive skin. The premax is just to agressive for me. How would the Tech hold up? There are a few of them on etsy. Alumnium I believe.

0 295
 01-08-2014, 10:40 AM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
Tech is good, but for too mild for coarse beard. What's your issue with TTO?

88 4,233
 01-08-2014, 10:46 AM
User Info
(01-08-2014, 10:40 AM)beartrap Wrote: Tech is good, but for too mild for coarse beard. What's your issue with TTO?

I don't know. I don't hate them. Somthing about the 3 peice design I like more. The Retro appeal I guess.

0 295
 01-08-2014, 02:09 PM
User Info
Definitely a vintage Gillette 3 piece. I prefer the pre-'21 models as they have a thinner cap. It doesn't look like much of a change but I think it makes a big difference in the feel. It's like the difference between a family van and a Ferrari.

If you want a Goldilocks razor you definitely don't want a Tech. Techs are extremely mild. The most aggressive Gillettes, if you'll allow me license with that word, would be the adjustables. But even they aren't wildly aggressive. Nope, it's got to be a 3 piece you're looking for.

32 6,309
 01-09-2014, 09:02 AM
  • bjorney
  • Los Angeles
User Info
My favorite vintage Gillette 3-pieces are the NEW and the New Improved. The Techs are too mild unless you shim them.

My New-improved is a 1926 Tuckaway and it's pretty much my Goldilocks razor, at least as far as DE goes.

0 911
 01-09-2014, 07:00 PM
  • matloffm
  • Culver City, CA
User Info
Selection of your ideal razor and blade combination is a choice that can only be made from your own experience. The coarseness of the beard (mine is very coarse) affects blade choice more than razor selection. The razor design will determine how close the blade will get to your skin. The closer it gets the more efficient (aggressive) it is. If you demand BBS then you will need a very aggressive razor, e.g. Cobra, GEM Micromatic, Merkur adjustable set on high, etc.

If you have tender skin, as I do on my neck, you may want to go for a DFS. All the Gillettes I mentioned will give you a DFS. I use a Tech on occasion and get a good shave with it. Same for the SuperSpeed. The Old and New type OC heads get the blade the closest to your skin.

If you have good technique, there is no finer shave than the Cobra IMO. The most aggressive and gentle razor and blade combination I have ever used.

16 545
 01-09-2014, 07:45 PM
User Info
(01-09-2014, 07:00 PM)matloffm Wrote: Selection of your ideal razor and blade combination is a choice that can only be made from your own experience. The coarseness of the beard (mine is very coarse) affects blade choice more than razor selection. The razor design will determine how close the blade will get to your skin. The closer it gets the more efficient (aggressive) it is. If you demand BBS then you will need a very aggressive razor, e.g. Cobra, GEM Micromatic, Merkur adjustable set on high, etc.

If you have tender skin, as I do on my neck, you may want to go for a DFS. All the Gillettes I mentioned will give you a DFS. I use a Tech on occasion and get a good shave with it. Same for the SuperSpeed. The Old and New type OC heads get the blade the closest to your skin.

If you have good technique, there is no finer shave than the Cobra IMO. The most aggressive and gentle razor and blade combination I have ever used.

I pretty much go for DFS on my neck. I might save up for a Cobra Classic, but right now I don't exactly have the funds for it. How would a Tech be with a Personna Lab?

0 295
 01-10-2014, 12:54 AM
  • Stubbl E
  • Lake Tahoe, California
User Info
Personally I like simplicity in just about all things, and the Old Type gives me a very satisfying shave - close and comfy. And yeah, it's pretty simple. Highly recommended! Wink

0 567
 01-10-2014, 06:54 AM
User Info
Maybe a New Improved? Those are pretty nice and not too aggressive.

12 1,243
 01-10-2014, 06:20 PM
  • matloffm
  • Culver City, CA
User Info
I did not have good luck with the Personna Lab blades. I used Feathers or Gillette Silver Blues. The Tech is a good razor and you won't be sorry to have it in your den.

16 545
 01-10-2014, 06:49 PM
User Info
(01-09-2014, 07:45 PM)BigMark Wrote:
(01-09-2014, 07:00 PM)matloffm Wrote: Selection of your ideal razor and blade combination is a choice that can only be made from your own experience. The coarseness of the beard (mine is very coarse) affects blade choice more than razor selection. The razor design will determine how close the blade will get to your skin. The closer it gets the more efficient (aggressive) it is. If you demand BBS then you will need a very aggressive razor, e.g. Cobra, GEM Micromatic, Merkur adjustable set on high, etc.

I pretty much go for DFS on my neck. I might save up for a Cobra Classic, but right now I don't exactly have the funds for it. How would a Tech be with a Personna Lab?

I will echo Brians advice for an Old Gillette. Not aggressive but not Tech mild either.

And you get that open comb feel which I prefer. I've not tried the Lab blade but their Med Prep blades are quite nice and I wouldn't think there would be miles of difference.

While it isn't my favorite, The EJ89 is no slouch at removing whiskers without irritation ! And can be found quite reasonably on BST.

6 1,224
 01-10-2014, 07:03 PM
User Info
try finding a uk gillette goodwill. in my opinion this could very well be gillettes non plus ultra 3-piece (but i have not tried them all Wink ) :

[Image: xsTeILf.jpg]

7 1,625