01-07-2014, 08:05 PM
User Info
I've recently taken a liking to fougères of all shapes and sizes and I'm trying to decide which soaps/creams to purchase. I'm looking for some recommendations from the fine gents at the Nook!

Here's what I'm considering (in no particular order):

1) QCS Fougère
2) Valobra Fougère
3) Al's Shaving "Fougère About It" Sapone de Barba
4) MdC Fougère (because of the price of this one, I'd happily pay someone for a sample of it)

Does anyone have any opinions on which one he likes the most? Perhaps descriptions? Thanks, as always!

5 407
 01-07-2014, 08:15 PM
User Info
I have MdC Fougère and the only other two that pique my interest are LA Shaving Topenga Fougère and the QCS Fougère.

31 7,912
 01-07-2014, 08:26 PM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
From you list, I have:

MdC Fougére
Valobra Fougére

Both are great with my preference being the MdC, although you can't fault Valobra especially in terms of performance.

Have you considered Pen's English Fern or their more modern interpretation, Sartorial?

91 17,823
 01-07-2014, 08:29 PM
User Info
(01-07-2014, 08:15 PM)SharpSpine Wrote: I have MdC Fougère and the only other two that pique my interest are LA Shaving Topenga Fougère and the QCS Fougère.

I've tried the LA Shaving Fougère and while it was very nice, it wasn't really what I was looking for.

Also, if my French were better, I would have caught the fact that I used the wrong accents. Biggrin

(01-07-2014, 08:26 PM)ben74 Wrote: From you list, I have:

MdC Fougére
Valobra Fougére

Both are great with my preference being the MdC, although you can't fault Valobra especially in terms of performance.

Have you considered Pen's English Fern or their more modern interpretation, Sartorial?

I'd love to get a puck of Pen's English Fern, but I'm not sure I'm willing to shell out the cost for the tallow version, and it's my understanding that the newer formula (before the most recent formulation) is grievously lacking.

As for Sartorial, I have a sample of the cologne and it's quite nice, but it's a little too citrusy for my taste. My preference tends to run to the classics (like Pen's English Fern, my favorite cologne) that downplay or omit citrus entirely. I find them cleaner.

5 407
 01-07-2014, 08:37 PM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
(01-07-2014, 08:29 PM)BarristerN_Mann Wrote: I'd love to get a puck of Pen's English Fern, but I'm not sure I'm willing to shell out the cost for the tallow version, and it's my understanding that the newer formula (before the most recent formulation) is grievously lacking.

Yes, I'm lucky enough to have the Tallow version (as well as the second last version, which is not great).

The Tallow is worth the investment IMO, but I also believe the current version is worth trying.

(01-07-2014, 08:29 PM)BarristerN_Mann Wrote: As for Sartorial, I have a sample of the cologne and it's quite nice, but it's a little too citrusy for my taste. My preference tends to run to the classics (like Pen's English Fern, my favorite cologne) that downplay or omit citrus entirely. I find them cleaner.

I have both the Sartorial EdT and soap. While I'm not really a fan of the EdT, I do like the soap. It smells more... soapy! Blush

91 17,823
 01-07-2014, 08:44 PM
User Info
(01-07-2014, 08:37 PM)ben74 Wrote: The Tallow is worth the investment IMO, but I also believe the current version is worth trying.

Why? Didn't you say it's not great? Or is this a different formula that I am now confusing? They've changed so many times. Dodgy

(01-07-2014, 08:37 PM)ben74 Wrote: I have both the Sartorial EdT and soap. While I'm not really a fan of the EdT, I do like the soap. It smells more... soapy! Blush

I may have to check it out, then. Do we know of a B&M place in the States where it can be purchased? Perhaps the Saks in NYC?

5 407
 01-07-2014, 09:14 PM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
(01-07-2014, 08:44 PM)BarristerN_Mann Wrote:
(01-07-2014, 08:37 PM)ben74 Wrote: The Tallow is worth the investment IMO, but I also believe the current version is worth trying.

Why? Didn't you say it's not great? Or is this a different formula that I am now confusing? They've changed so many times. Dodgy

(01-07-2014, 08:37 PM)ben74 Wrote: I have both the Sartorial EdT and soap. While I'm not really a fan of the EdT, I do like the soap. It smells more... soapy! Blush

I may have to check it out, then. Do we know of a B&M place in the States where it can be purchased? Perhaps the Saks in NYC?

Sorry for any confusion, to clarify:

Pens...

Current formulation, eg Sartorial - GOOD

Vintage formulation, eg EF Tallow - GREAT

Second last version (few years ago) - POOR

91 17,823
 01-07-2014, 09:14 PM
User Info
I have a sample of the QCS Fougere Cream and it has to be one of the best scents I have ever smelled! Quite incredible!
I think you are going to enjoy it very much and I find it much different compared to MdC Fougere which is not my cup of tea.

75 20,883
 01-07-2014, 09:20 PM
User Info
If you come out with a fougère, I will definitely pick it up.
I have the MdC and absolutely love it.

6 229
 01-08-2014, 05:15 AM
User Info
(01-07-2014, 09:14 PM)celestino Wrote: I have a sample of the QCS Fougere Cream and it has to be one of the best scents I have ever smelled! Quite incredible!
I think you are going to enjoy it very much and I find it much different compared to MdC Fougere which is not my cup of tea.

I happen to agee wholeheartedly with Celestino's recommendation on the QCS Frougere.It for me, was the closest to Pens EF except QCS's interpretation has a touch of spice that sets it apart. Otherwise very darn close to EF and quite delicious.

MDC was a bit too earthy for me and had more hints of citrus than Pens EF. Just not my cup of tea either.

64 796
 01-08-2014, 05:34 AM
  • Giorgio
  • Pennsylvania, US
User Info
I'll add my vote for Valobra... The scent is unlike anything I've smelled as far as soaps go. I didn't know what to think of it at first, and I can see that it may not be for everyone, but it quickly became one of my favorites. That coupled with its performance makes it a winner in my den and one that I reach for often. I also have Pens EF and the scent is incredible, however I'm afraid it doesn't quite get along with my skin, so its reserved for the quick shave injector days. I'm not sure what version of that I have (fairly recent acquisition) , but I was able to get a good lather out of it that worked for me.

I think I myself am going to have to try Celestino's QCS recommendation at some point, sounds like one I'd greatly enjoy.

29 1,579
 01-08-2014, 06:30 AM
User Info
I find Penhaligon's English Fern to be a fascinating fougere/fern because its definitely different than what a lot of other makers describe as fougere or fern. EF is very earthy and redolent of its name; an English countryside with ferns and moss and damp and dirty woods. Its not a vetiver, but it has, to my nose, a much more place-specific profile. If you were looking for a comparison, Musgo Real seems to come the closest, but not as "rounded" a scent, if that makes sense.

Most others seem to be more ethereal, with some combination of lavender, rosemary, and similar herbal scents.

Actually the one I found the least intriguing with MdC fougere. To me, it smelled like MdC's signature scent with some "extra" fern layered on top. Maybe its because MdC's regular scent shares so many elements (lavender, rosemary, camphor) with common fougeres. This isn't to say its not "worth it", but just that if you already have the regular MdC, I would try some others before turning to their fougere.

72 1,407
 01-08-2014, 06:32 AM
User Info
(01-08-2014, 06:30 AM)jpakstis Wrote: I find Penhaligon's English Fern to be a fascinating fougere/fern because its definitely different than what a lot of other makers describe as fougere or fern. EF is very earthy and redolent of its name; an English countryside with ferns and moss and damp and dirty woods. Its not a vetiver, but it has, to my nose, a much more place-specific profile. If you were looking for a comparison, Musgo Real seems to come the closest, but not as "rounded" a scent, if that makes sense.

Most others seem to be more ethereal, with some combination of lavender, rosemary, and similar herbal scents.

Actually the one I found the least intriguing with MdC fougere. To me, it smelled like MdC's signature scent with some "extra" fern layered on top. Maybe its because MdC's regular scent shares so many elements (lavender, rosemary, camphor) with common fougeres. This isn't to say its not "worth it", but just that if you already have the regular MdC, I would try some others before turning to their fougere.

How would you say it compares to the EdT? Pen's English Fern is my favorite production fougère, but the fragrances sometimes do not translate well.

Also, still the problem of getting a tallow version. As I understand it, they don't come up for sale often. But I appreciate the input regardless!

5 407
 01-08-2014, 06:38 AM
User Info
(01-08-2014, 06:32 AM)BarristerN_Mann Wrote: How would you say it compares to the EdT? Pen's English Fern is my favorite production fougère, but the fragrances sometimes to not translate well.

Actually I've never tried the EdT. A few years ago I went though a bought of EdTBAD but I never got to the Penhaligon line (although I do have Douro). But I tried a few fougeres like GIT and its not like that at all. EF (the soap) is not bright and sunny and airy; its like standing in the woods.

(01-08-2014, 06:32 AM)BarristerN_Mann Wrote: Also, still the problem of getting a tallow version. As I understand it, they don't come up for sale often. But I appreciate the input regardless!

No problem. And it sounds like Pen's is doing away with its EF soap, which is a shame.

72 1,407
 01-08-2014, 06:53 AM
User Info
I have the Valobra, MdC and Al's Fougere. I would say I prefer the MdC for scent out of those. But they are all exceptional performers. The QCS is still on my list to try.

I also have the Barbiere di Figaro Esclusivo available from BdF and Bullgoose. The description doesn't list it as such, but I think you could put this in the fougere category. Maybe a little more citrus than the others listed.

10 2,062
 01-08-2014, 07:36 AM
  • u2u
  • GTA
User Info

I was in SAKS December 28. They had a huge Penhaligon's selection but had not yet received any Sartorial soap. It is available across your northern border at a B&M shop, MenEssentials, in Toronto.

0 534
 01-08-2014, 07:43 AM
User Info
(01-08-2014, 07:36 AM)u2u Wrote:

I was in SAKS December 28. They had a huge Penhaligon's selection but had not yet received any Sartorial soap. It is available across your northern border at a B&M shop, MenEssentials, in Toronto.

Unfortunately a little far from me at the moment, but I'll keep it in mind. Thanks!

5 407
 01-08-2014, 02:10 PM
  • VT_Hokie
  • 2-Band Bandito
  • Charleston, SC
User Info
I met up with Rick (Bravado) today to do what seems like our weekly hostage exchange and he let me put my sniffer on his new Pens Satorial soap.

I think Ben hit the nail right on the head when he said it smells "soapy".

It just has that classic, clean, creamy soap scent with just a slight twinge of something green in the background. Almost like an Irish Spring type undertone. It was really nice and light and I cannot see anyone being offended by the scent. Rick said it really opens up when it's lathered too.

As an aside, I just received a new tin of B&M Vetiver, Heather and Clary Sage in the mail today. My favorite of all the B&M offerings. Dat scent, Awwww yisssssss! It'll be going to hang out with Rick next week so I'm gonna go have a shave with it right now.

13 599
 01-08-2014, 02:42 PM
  • JaDo
  • Dallas, TX
User Info
(01-08-2014, 06:38 AM)jpakstis Wrote: No problem. And it sounds like Pen's is doing away with its EF soap, which is a shame.

Sad what a shame! English Fern is probably my favorite scent, and I was really hoping for an "improved" version of the shaving soap.

6 235
 01-08-2014, 03:01 PM
User Info
(01-08-2014, 02:42 PM)JaDo Wrote:
(01-08-2014, 06:38 AM)jpakstis Wrote: No problem. And it sounds like Pen's is doing away with its EF soap, which is a shame.

Sad what a shame! English Fern is probably my favorite scent, and I was really hoping for an "improved" version of the shaving soap.

They're not discontinuing it, they're just making it unscented.

9 1,199