01-08-2014, 05:56 AM
User Info
I've never tried a cream from a tube (like Proraso, etc.). What are some of the best creams in this form?

Specific comments invited for La Toja, L'Occitane, and creams without menthol or cooling.

I tend to like scents that are vague and "clean" smelling, if you can comment on those.

I'd be interested most in performance -- the lather being thick, cushiony, and doesn't dry out during shave.

0 303
 01-08-2014, 06:15 AM
  • Giorgio
  • Pennsylvania, US
User Info
Speick is excellent, but I'm not sure if it will meet your specs of vague and clean smelling. I'll also throw in proraso blue. No menthol or anything, and I'm a fan of the scent. I also enjoy Lea on occasion.

34 1,627
 01-08-2014, 06:22 AM
User Info
The one tube I'll never be without is Musgo Real. It has that distinctive vetiver/cut-grass scent and has lanolin. It seems to have faded away in popularity, which is interesting because when I first got into the wet-shaving forums back in '09 it seemed to rival Proraso as an "essential" cream.

For a "clean" scent, regular Palmolive is nice. For many it reminds them of detergent or dishwashing soap, but because I had the shaving stick, which is the same scent, and used it on vacations on the Jersey Shore (down in Wildwood, not Seaside Heights) and it reminds me of the beach.

83 1,485
 01-08-2014, 06:46 AM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
Proraso Blue
Top Secret
Speick

Those would be some of the best without menthol. But my favorite of all is Palmolive Italian Menthol.

45 3,955
 01-08-2014, 06:52 AM
User Info
Old red Proraso is quite good, but for me the very best, in terms of great lather and subtle scent, have been the vintage Floris and Penhaligon's creams.

202 12,131
 01-08-2014, 06:58 AM
User Info
(01-08-2014, 05:56 AM)Face Bannon Wrote: I've never tried a cream from a tube (like Proraso, etc.). What are some of the best creams in this form?

Specific comments invited for La Toja, L'Occitane, and creams without menthol or cooling.

I tend to like scents that are vague and "clean" smelling, if you can comment on those.

I'd be interested most in performance -- the lather being thick, cushiony, and doesn't dry out during shave.

I strongly recommend Coates, a wonderful English cream which was discontinued about 7 years ago. Someone found and bought up what is apparently all the remaining tubes and sells them for $3.95 a tube at coatescream.com Maggard Razors also sells it for the same price. Really fantastic stuff in 6 different scents.

0 61
 01-08-2014, 08:22 AM
User Info
Proraso red
Musgo Real
Top Secret
Speick

2 5,544
 01-08-2014, 08:26 AM
  • Johnny
  • MODERATOR EMERITUS
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
The only two creams I use at this time in a tube are CADE and Speick. Both give about equal shaves but the scent goes to the CADE.

174 23,729
 01-08-2014, 09:05 AM
User Info
(01-08-2014, 08:26 AM)Johnny Wrote: The only two creams I use at this time in a tube are CADE and Speick. Both give about equal shaves but the scent goes to the CADE.

I might try some Cade. I sort of like the idea of buying it from a store.

0 303
 01-08-2014, 09:10 AM
  • Macko
  • Virginia
User Info
Proraso Blue. Usual great Proraso performance, great scent.

17 548
 01-08-2014, 09:13 AM
  • goaman
  • Lisbon, Portugal
User Info
Acqua di Parma (scented!!!) Biggrin
Musgo Real Classic
DR Harris Arlington

2 152
 01-08-2014, 11:12 AM
  • Songwind
  • Soap Slinger & Scuttle Pusher
  • Burnsville, MN
User Info
Tube creams I've tried:

Proraso Red - You might find the sandalwood a bit much, but the shave is great and the shea butter is great on my skin.

Musgo Real Spiced Citrus - not an overbearing smell, great shave. The lanolin's emollient properties are very nice.

Palmolive - I tried the mentholated Italian version, but the standard is just nice and soapy. Great shave, nothing special for skin care.

Speick - Great stuff, with a spicy, herbaceous spike-lavender smell. Again, not much for the skin after the shave, but their balm and aftershave are great, too.

Body Shop Macca Root - Good performance, a watery sort of bathroom soap/body wash smell, and available at the mall. Not a bad price, either.

TOBS - I find their performance to be middle of the road. Good, but not great. But a wide range of possible scents, including grapefruit which I find very simple and clean.

D. R. Harris - Similar to TOBS, a bit nicer in performance, but not as good for me as the ones listed earlier in the list.

Good luck on the search!
Eric

10 1,858
 01-08-2014, 11:33 AM
User Info
Comments on ones mentioned which I have tried:

Speick - has a distinctive smell, kind of like lavender, not sure this is really clean smelling.

Musgo - I wouldn't recommend, too strongly scented and too fussy to make a lather with.

TOBS - good quality, probably the one with the scent/performance closest to what you are looking for is Avocado (which does not smell like avocado.)

If you don't mind going up the cost chain, look into Truefitt and Hill Ultimate Comfort.

12 1,247
 01-08-2014, 11:44 AM
  • TheMonk
  • Super Moderator
  • Porto, Portugal
User Info
My current favorite creams IN A TUBE are:

- Musgo Real Classic
- O Melhor
- Coate's Lavender (vintage)

If I was specifically going for a clean scent, I guess I'd try the C&E Nomad, Speick, Nivea and Palmolive.

26 4,810
 01-08-2014, 12:53 PM
User Info
It comes in a pump and not a tube, but Kiss My Face is some great cream too.

9 1,199
 01-08-2014, 01:45 PM
User Info
I was going to mention KMF. It's a really good cream from right here in the USA. It comes in many scents. The mint is cooling. I don't know if the others would be vague scents. The mint isn't overpowering, maybe the others are muted as well, is that vague?

If you can find it, Bond Fresh is really good, then there's also Wars Classic, and Lider, all 3 are good, but IMO Bond is the best by a whisker. But you'll need to find them here if that's even possible. I have a friend in the UK who sends me the Bond. They are Polish as far as I know; I know he gets them "smuggled in" from Poland when a relative stops in. With a name like Bond I just had to get some cloak and dagger in this post; 007 and all, "Bond, James Bond.". FWIW, they aren't smuggled at all, just carried in the luggage. Biggrin

I just checked the tubes I have. Bond is "Produkt Polski" and Wars is made in Krakow. I no longer have the tube that the Lider came in.

Nivea Mild cream is another good one.

I'd suggest Proraso Sandlewood, but while the performance is great, there's nothing vague about the sandlewood scent at all.

32 6,378
 01-08-2014, 01:59 PM
User Info
You should try La Toja and Nivea. Both have mild fresh/soapy scents, and both are really good performers. I especially like La Toja; thick, slick lather in no time at all.

15 222
 01-08-2014, 03:50 PM
User Info
I know that it is inexpensive and is an old name, but I think that the Old Spice shave cream currently made in India and found on eBay is hard to beat... has the old Shulton OS scent

12 190
 01-08-2014, 03:55 PM
User Info
T&H Rose. In tube, out of tube.

26 1,763
 01-08-2014, 04:10 PM
User Info
Arko, Barbus, Olimon, MEM, Alpa, Palmolive, Gillette, Bozanno...all good and on the clean, medicinal and soapy side

3 737