01-08-2014, 12:13 PM
User Info
By that, I mean how long do creams, both tub and tube, last without drying out, become useless and all that stuff? A few months, a year, a couple of years or more??

I'm interested in hearing from y'all so let's have it.

Thanks in advance and enjoy those shaves.

4 952
 01-08-2014, 01:06 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
It depends on many things. Creams in a tube tend to last longer than those in a tub due to less oxygen exposure. The brand of cream and the environment in which the creams are stored play a large part. An all natural cream, without preservatives, will not last as long as one with preservatives. Likewise, creams kept in the light at 90 degrees will not last as long as those kept in a dark environment at 68 degrees.

Most creams, even when they dry out, can still be lathered up as you would a soap. However some (e.g. cella) can go rancid.

45 16,352
 01-08-2014, 01:22 PM
User Info
I'm using Cella now that has turned a light beige color. It's still working fine. FWIW, it's been in the cabinet for 2 years or more by now. The Cella from the same kilo is in the reefer out in the shop. It's kept near 32°F and it looks like it just came out of the plastic wrapper. Once a year I check the reefer storage to see if they're drying out, and I add some boiled water as required.

You didn't ask, but here it is anyway. Hard soaps will also degrade from age but they take much longer to do so. In my cabinet I have a soap from the early 70's. It's a lt. brown, smells great and works fantastic. Now maybe it was brown when it was new, but I doubt it. It was probably white.

32 6,309
 01-08-2014, 01:40 PM
  • njpaddy
  • Central New Jersey
User Info
My tub of TOBS Rose cream, which has only been used about once a month for the past two years is still ok. I'm trying to finish it off this month just to be sure it doesn't dry out.

0 204
 01-08-2014, 01:57 PM
User Info
From what I understand and what I have heard, anywhere from 2-7 years, if not longer for some. This is an approximation as it is very dependent on the cream.

That is why I much prefer soaps as they last much longer even though it seems I keep buying more and more. Biggrin

75 20,883
 01-08-2014, 02:25 PM
User Info
Creams can go bad if they get too old. When I used creams, I tried to make sure I used them up within about 18 months, and I store them closed, dark, and cool.

1 1,106