01-08-2014, 11:14 PM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info

New York Barber, Oscar uses pre-shave oil instead of lather for his second pass...
(Step 5 at 3:27, if you don't wish to watch the entire clip).

Anyone else use lather for the first pass and then pre-shave oil for the second pass?

Also of interest, Oscar states he has better control over the lather if he applies it with his hands rather than a brush...

I personally disagree with this assertion and believe its a decision actually based on a combination of using a lather machine and hygiene/cost (i.e. multiple customers and one shaving brush), but does anyone else use this method too?

91 17,795
 01-08-2014, 11:27 PM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info

Expert barber Ann-Marrie from Starks Barber Company also applies a second pre-shave oil, but she follows up both times with lather (made with a badger brush).

91 17,795
 01-09-2014, 05:33 AM
User Info
(01-08-2014, 11:27 PM)ben74 Wrote:

Expert barber Ann-Marrie from Starks Barber Company also applies a second pre-shave oil, but she follows up both times with lather (made with a badger brush).

That looks like a cool place, wish we had something like that around here. A nice straight shave with a bunch of good looking woman (judging by both their videos) in a nice modern shop Thumbup

other video:

10 829
 01-09-2014, 05:34 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
I've never done it that way before, but I have done two passes with using an oil only.

As for as applying lather, I agree with your assumption about the lather machine and hygiene. We all know a brush is the best way to apply lather.

173 23,486
 01-09-2014, 05:41 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
After reviewing those last two videos, I think I need to make a trip to Canada.

173 23,486
 01-09-2014, 06:59 AM
  • Songwind
  • Soap Slinger & Scuttle Pusher
  • Burnsville, MN
User Info
I actually suspect he's right about fingers being more easily controlled than a brush. You can't feel what you're doing through the brush, and the splay of the knot isn't 100% predictable. And of course a single finger or even two is smaller than even the Wee Scot.

That said, I'm not sure it's enough of an "improvement" to matter. And I'm pretty sure I get better beard lift and exfoliation w/ my brush.

10 1,858
 01-09-2014, 08:08 AM
User Info
For my 3rd and final pass, I squeeze the lather out of my badger brush and apply by hand. I like it and it does allow for more precise placement of lather in hard to get places. It won't replace brush application on the first 2 passes, but it is a nice way to finish a shave for me.

9 1,199
 01-09-2014, 08:45 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
(01-08-2014, 11:14 PM)ben74 Wrote:

New York Barber, Oscar uses pre-shave oil instead of lather for his second pass...
(Step 5 at 3:27, if you don't wish to watch the entire clip).

Anyone else use lather for the first pass and then pre-shave oil for the second pass?

Also of interest, Oscar states he has better control over the lather if he applies it with his hands rather than a brush...

I personally disagree with this assertion and believe its a decision actually based on a combination of using a lather machine and hygiene/cost (i.e. multiple customers and one shaving brush), but does anyone else use this method too?

Any of you in NYC should stop in and see Ernest. But take a camera if you do.

http://www.ernestandolivia.com/

Looks like they use Proraso Products.

173 23,486
 01-09-2014, 08:55 AM
User Info
(01-09-2014, 05:41 AM)Johnny Wrote: After reviewing those last two videos, I think I need to make a trip to Canada.

Biggrin

75 20,883
 01-09-2014, 12:53 PM
User Info
I've never tried an oil pass, but often, on my last pass, I'll use water to lubricate my face as I'm shaving, to get as close as possible. As long as it's mostly smooth before I start, it doesn't cause irritation. Also, the water mixes with the shaving cream residue a little, so it's not straight water.

0 2
 01-09-2014, 03:28 PM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
That isn't something I would choose to do on a regular basis. There is definitely a difference between a light oil base and water. Also, the residual shaving cream is now dirty with cut hairs and dried surface skin, something I would not want to put back on raw skin.

2 11,211
 01-09-2014, 04:51 PM
  • tsimmns
  • Mississippi
User Info
Those are lovely videos. I just need to find a way to get the perfect lather and I will be there.

15 970
 01-11-2014, 04:16 PM
User Info
A while ago someone on one of the other shaving forums posted his experience getting a shave at Trumpers in London. That barber used Trumper Skin Food for the last pass.

37 2,907
 01-11-2014, 04:42 PM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
I think somepeople miss the point of lather...it does not have to be as thick as canned goo because what we make is more slick and it is the composition not the thickness that makes it slippery and/or work....you have to see your face not cover it like a party trick...just thick enough to work...warm enough to feel nice and the perfect scent and texture for your method of shaving...even face soap or liquid hand soap would work...but we like it RICH and creamy....try a brushless gel sometimes or King of Shaves gel...it does work...try it you,ll see...

6 1,913
 01-11-2014, 07:44 PM
User Info
I've never used pre-shave oil instead of shaving cream for a pass and I definitely prefer a brush to using my hands to apply shaving cream.

106 348
 01-15-2014, 03:45 PM
  • Alpha
  • Fatboy Slim
  • Central Wisconsin
User Info
Never tried that, but then I don't like using oil to shave. It's a pain to clean gunked up oily razors.

1 52