01-09-2014, 09:09 AM
  • bjorney
  • Los Angeles
User Info
I'm a huge Ever Ready 1914 fan. I love the sound, the feel and the results. I have two decidedly "user-grade" 14s and have been on the lookout for a pretty one. I found a beauty, but when I tried shaving with it, it's so mild as to be unusable for me!

I would think that it could be made a bit more aggressive by gently bending the guard down a bit... Has anyone here tried that ( I'm looking at you Brian K.. Wink )? If so, any tips on how best to do it?

I hate to leave that beauty on the shelf...

0 911
 01-09-2014, 09:43 AM
User Info
I felt your eyes on me.

Do this carefully, maybe with a spent blade that you've further dulled down with with a whetstone or some such so as not to get cut. You'll be playing with the sharp edge.

Take your absolutely dull blade and insert it into the razor and close the cap. See if the blade gets pushed back when you apply moderate pressure to it as you while shaving. If so, that's not right. The spring at the inside rear of the razor head requires bending. No, I've never done it. But I'd go very easy on it. Break the spring and the razor is just parts in the boneyard.

How do I know about the spring? It happpened to the first one I owned. I didn't know about it, and the next owner (who knew about the extremely mild shave) fixed it and told me what he'd done to correct it. BTW, my first '14 with that condition was frustrating. It would give me a great shave on e shave, then the next would be mild. It about drove me bonkers, and I thought it was me.

If that doesn't fix it I have no idea what your next action should be.

Let us know how you make out with it.

32 6,308
 01-09-2014, 09:46 AM
  • bjorney
  • Los Angeles
User Info
(01-09-2014, 09:43 AM)ShadowsDad Wrote: I felt your eyes on me.

Do this carefully, maybe with a spent blade that you've further dulled down with with a whetstone or some such so as not to get cut. You'll be playing with the sharp edge.

Take your absolutely dull blade and insert it into the razor and close the cap. See if the blade gets pushed back when you apply moderate pressure to it as you while shaving. If so, that's not right. The spring at the inside rear of the razor head requires bending. No, I've never done it. But I'd go very easy on it. Break the spring and the razor is just parts in the boneyard.

How do I know about the spring? It happpened to the first one I owned. I didn't know about it, and the next owner (who knew about the extremely mild shave) fixed it and told me what he'd done to correct it. BTW, my first '14 with that condition was frustrating. It would give me a great shave on e shave, then the next would be mild. It about drove me bonkers, and I thought it was me.

If that doesn't fix it I have no idea what your next action should be.

Let us know how you make out with it.
Thanks for the tip Brian. I'll try that and report back.

0 911
 01-09-2014, 10:35 AM
User Info
Best of luck to you, Bjorn!

75 20,883
 01-13-2014, 05:51 PM
User Info
Good luck with the fix, the 1914 is the best shaving SE around IMO.

63 2,128
 01-14-2014, 08:43 AM
  • bjorney
  • Los Angeles
User Info
(01-13-2014, 05:51 PM)cessnabird Wrote: Good luck with the fix, the 1914 is the best shaving SE around IMO.

I agree with you. They are wonderful razors.

The adjustment seems to have done the trick. I bent the spring "wings" out a little and got a very nice shave with a new blade.
Yay!

0 911
 01-14-2014, 07:06 PM
User Info
Excellent! Glad it worked for you. The gent who clued me in deserves a pat on the back.

32 6,308
 01-26-2014, 06:54 AM
User Info
I have a 1914 that I was getting not so good results with...I made the adjustments described here and it really made a significant difference...Actually, it made a huge difference.

3 73