01-09-2014, 03:16 PM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
I have been wanting to post a review of this ink for some time. I purchased it a few months ago after coveting it since I first found out about it. The problem was that it was only sold by Akkerman from their main store in Den Haag (The Hague), The Netherlands. The cost of the ink wasn't bad but shipping and exchange rate costs brought the total to close to US$50.00. OUCH! Then, I discovered that Van Ness, a pen shop in Little Rock, Arkansas managed to get some bottles to sell with the proviso from Akkerman that they not advertise that they had the inks. In other words, strictly word of mouth. I found out through The Fountain Pen Network: http://fountainpennetwork.com. Actually, I only saved a few dollars getting it this way but at least it didn't have to go through customs and once ordered took only a few days to get.

The main reason I wanted the ink, believe it or not, was the bottle. I wouldn't be surprised if that isn't true of most fountain pen/ink lovers.

As you can see from the photos, the bottle is a most unique shape that serves a very clever purpose. As anyone knows, who has tried to get the last of the ink out of a bottle, it can be problematic. This ingenious bottle solves the problem. The ink sits in the bulb at the bottom of the bottle. The long stem at the top of the bottle holds a ball that cannot fall to the bulb part. When one needs ink, with the cap securely on, the bottle is tilted, forcing the ball in the stem forward. Ink rushes into the stem. When gently turned right side up again, the ball falls to the bottom of the stem and prevents any ink there from going back to the bottom of the bottle, allowing for a very easy fill. This works like a dream. Not only that, I love the look of the bottle and it does not need to be hidden away in a drawer.

I deliberately wanted the Garuda Rood (Rood=Red in Dutch) because it looked a bit like Private Reserve's Vampire Red. The Vampire Red was a color I liked but the makeup of the ink itself was a disaster. I wouldn't consider keeping it in a pen. It caked up, had incredibly poor flow, and just wasn't up to Private Reserve's usual high standards. The Akermann Garuda Rood is in the same color group as the Vampire Red.

Overall, I like the ink. The color is really nice. Think in the neighborhood of Diamine Oxblood but perhaps not as deep. The flow is quite good, saturation is average, and I didn't detect much shading. Where this ink has some weakness is in the feathering/bleed through department. I do my reviews on HP 32 lb. laser paper which is usually fountain pen friendly. On this paper there was some slight feathering and bleed through noticed. Nothing serious on the feathering but I don't think I'd write much front and back on a piece of paper, especially paper of lower quality. In all fairness, I did not try the ink on my Clairefontaine Triomphe 90g paper. That is my personal best when it comes to fountain pen friendly paper. Also, if some water resistance is important to you, this ink is only fair for that, though a light drop of water accidentally falling on anything written with it should still be legible.

I really love the color and I plan on using it. I can see it in my Kaweco Sport, which is my everyday carry, as I mostly do light note taking with it.

[Image: 19RoDa3.jpg] [Image: JoXtMtV.jpg]

[Image: 64RF7In.jpg] [Image: VaeEVGw.jpg]

[Image: E0yoZMS.jpg]

2 11,211
 01-09-2014, 03:35 PM
User Info
Wow, Freddy, that is a lovely colour!
I always greatly admire your handwriting. It is just wonderful! Smile

75 20,883
 01-09-2014, 04:56 PM
User Info
My favorite part is the "Meow, Meow" Tongue

92 2,566
 01-09-2014, 06:13 PM
  • krissy
  • Cando, North Dakota
User Info
Oooooooooh I love this for two reasons.

The first is that I love red, I mean love it!!! I have enough red shirts to wear one every day for two weeks at least and never wear the same shirt twice. I painted several walls in my house deep red. My winter coat is deep red I usually wear red shades of lipstick, and most of my fountain pens are red..... I just love the color....

So I absolutely love this shade, as "ox blood" is one of my favorites. I like those desper shades of red the best.

Second it had the word garuda in the name which is a mythollgical bird in Indonesian stories. I grew up as an expat between the ages of 8 to 18 in Indonesia so it's still home to me even this many years later. But that also makes sense, because the Dutch had control of Indonesia for many years way back when in history.

So I'm going to have to track down a bottle of this eventully even if I have to order it directly from the Nethereands.

Thanks Freddy for sharing this.

7 405
 01-09-2014, 06:18 PM
  • freddy
User Info
Folks, please keep in mind that I just take snapshots of my reviews and don't know anything about lighting and color correcting so I'm not sure how accurately you're seeing the colors that I post.

2 11,211
 01-09-2014, 06:37 PM
  • CRAusmus
  • Going from Texas to Georgia
User Info
It is a great color. Excellent bottle. Another excellent review Freddy.

I do wish it dried a bit quicker though and better water resistance would be good as well. Would you say the Diamine Oxblood is better in these areas than this one Freddy?

So glad we have the Ink Well now...

14 1,177
 01-09-2014, 07:14 PM
  • freddy
User Info
(01-09-2014, 06:37 PM)CRAusmus Wrote: It is a great color. Excellent bottle. Another excellent review Freddy.

I do wish it dried a bit quicker though and better water resistance would be good as well. Would you say the Diamine Oxblood is better in these areas than this one Freddy?

So glad we have the Ink Well now...

Generally, yes, Clinton. If I'm going to be honest, overall the Diamine Oxblood is probably the better of the two inks. As I wrote in my review, it was the bottle that grabbed my attention first, followed by the color. (I'm hopeless, I know. Rolleyes )

2 11,211
 01-09-2014, 08:03 PM
User Info
I currently have this ink in my Pilot Vortex pen with a fine nib. The ink is a great color and fits well into my red ink color preference range. I have had no issue with feathering or bleed through with it in the Vortex on Clairefontaine paper. I plan to load it into another of my favorite pens and give it more testing/use. As Freddy mentioned, the bottle this ink comes in is a "must have". Reminds me of vintage perfume bottles and such. Looks great out on my desk! A definite winner in both appearance and performance!

1 345