01-10-2014, 12:05 AM
User Info
Hey fellas, looking for some help :-)
I know I saw a post or two on the subject, on a thread that I have spent a couple days looking for, but can't seem to find it.
I guess you use a headless screw to connect the handle to the head, and I've found them online here's an example, but I need to know what type of threading is needed.
I've got one of those ikon tuckaway handles on the way from Thailand and I NEED to give it a try on my lather catchers :-P
Any help is appreciated,
Thanks!

Eric

37 403
 01-10-2014, 12:31 AM
User Info
The thread is a long obsolete one. The taps and dies are no longer made for it the last time anyone looked (I did, so have others).

Let me get the data... (footsteps echoing off into the distance)

(Footsteps are heard to come back) There are 2 threads one I'll call the big thread, the other is the small thread. This data is for the small thread. It's 0.166 - 0.170 diameter x 24 pitch. A machine shop could probably turn a bunch of this stock, but it would probably be more cost effective to just buy razors suitable for the boneyard and repurpose the handles. If you go the machine shop route be there on the day they turn it, with your razor to fit the thread to what they make. It will be expensive if they can do it.

Edit: I shouldn't have stated that so catagorically. That's the data that I've been able to glean from the 'net. I have no proof that it's correct. A machinist will be able to tell you if it's correct however.

I hate to suggest this option, but in the interest of full disclosure I must. You could, most times, easily rethread the head to accept the DE threaded handle. You might need a short piece of threaded stock to make a male threaded handle, and I'd loctite it into place in the handle with the strongest loctite I could find, Studlock or some such. Of course that means original handles will no longer fit the head. If it was a razor with ambience I wouldn't do it. I'd just wait to find the right handle to cannibalize from a junk razor head.

Good luck. Let us know how you make out. If you're successful, take orders for us. I think price will be the issue though.

32 6,308
 01-10-2014, 09:07 PM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
Don,t need to Loctite it as you tighten it to bottom out it is not going to loosen unless you want it to...get the threaded rod to fit the handle and retap the head m5X8..cut it 1/2 inch to 5/8 and screw the rod into the handle..then the head (could be 3/4 also...no big deal)

6 1,913
 01-12-2014, 02:04 PM
User Info
Thanks for the input gentlemen.
I've picked up a couple of 1/2 inch rods that fit my handle great, now I just need to retap the top of it.
I'll let you know if it works out.

...sent from mobile device...

37 403